Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Not military, just older cupro-nickel (or even possibly mild steel- check with a magnet) jacketed soft point hunting ammo. Undoubtedly 156 or 160 grain bullets. The original military load was invariably a long 156 grain RN FMJ bullet shaped such as these. Sweden downsized their FMJ military bullet to a 139 grain spitzer sometime soon before WWII, dunno what Norway did in that regard.

Figured it was military as there is no cartridge designation like 6.5 x 55.I have 6-8 of these.Not magnetic ( checked) None have Mfgr stamped, just some numbers and letters Too tarnished to get a good photo

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Puddle
A fun article by Philip Massaro about what your favorite rifle cartridge says about you.

Be forewarned - he may have inadvertently mentioned "Swede" in there so have your blood pressure medicine nearby ....

What Your Favorite Rifle Cartridge Says About You

Fun article,

But, what if you have them all, your fav being the one you're holding at the moment....?

DF

Thanks Puddle. A good link and a fair assessment of the cartridges.

saddlesore, I had forgotten about the 6.5 Norma. We had a lot of it here, but most people passed on them because of the price.

Don't forget, "the Sweed". It's a campfire thing.

Or "swedes'. It's what the Brits call rutabagas. They also call it a Swedish turnip.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Puddle
A fun article by Philip Massaro about what your favorite rifle cartridge says about you.

Be forewarned - he may have inadvertently mentioned "Swede" in there so have your blood pressure medicine nearby ....

What Your Favorite Rifle Cartridge Says About You

Humorous, I have 3 on the list at present, but my favorite isn't on it. Wonder what that says about me?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I liked the "you never go anywhere without a belt"

It's only later that I realized he was referring to the brass, and not the booze...

Last edited by Puddle; 12/10/21. Reason: On advice from my lawyer...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Steve. I have to confess .The box of 6.5 Norma was a given to me.I only bought the unprimed brass.Not a lot of choices back then

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/10/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Steve. I have to confess .The box of 6.5 Norma was a given to me.I only bough the unprimed brass.Not a lot of choices back then

That's true. In Canada, I recall having a lot more European product on the shelves. We also had Cdn made Imperial ammunition and other stuff. Different times for sure.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I don't have access to the ammo or my manuals at present, but I seem to remember that the 6.5 Swede case head was a different diameter than most brass based on a -30-06 case.. I think it was smaller as I could not make 6.5 brass from a 30-06 case. It has been a long time ago so it might have been the opposite.

Per the Nosler Manual. the 6.5x55 rim size is .480 and the 30-06 is .473 if that helps. U.S. 6.5x55 brass has measured .474 for me.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A sampling of my Lapua brass yields .478".

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A few comments on this overall thread,

The 6.5x55 is NOT "the Swedish Mauser" cartridge--or worse yet, "the Swede." It was co-developed by the Norwegian and Swedish militaries, when they belonged to the same "combined kingdom." (That said, by a Norwegian, it is also not the 6.5x55 Norwegian Krag.)

When Remington screwed up and introduced the .244 with a 1-12 twist, they did NOT "correct" it by reintroducing the cartridge as the 6mm with a 1-10 twist. Instead they used a 1-9 twist--and at the same time started making their .243 Winchesters with a 1-9 twist, so they didn't have to produce barrels with two different twists.

The standard .270 Winchester 1-10 twist will handily stabilize spitzers in the 170-grain range at elevations 4000 feet above sea level--and probably somewhat lower. I know this because I've done it.

C'mon MD... Really???
Gonna insist next that the Swedish Bikini Team isn't Swedish?
laugh

Now, now....

Beretzs, in a masterful stoke of international diplomacy, has just solved this thorny issue.

The previously mislabeled "Swede" in now to be called the 6.5 SCAN....

He could well get the Nobel Peace Prize for this stroke of diplomatic genius....

cool

DF

Too late, it’s already been done. That’s the label Hornady has been using on their 6.5x55 die boxes for quite a while now. 6.5x55 SCAN.

Aww….

And I was about to nominate him for the Nobel.

DF

Ahhh, go ahead. Formalities are pretty loose around here.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

That's about what my Lapua brass is too. I have mentioned this before, the Lapua brass will not fit in my Barrett. Several brands of American brass will.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

That's about what my Lapua brass is too. I have mentioned this before, the Lapua brass will not fit in my Barrett. Several brands of American brass will.

I guess American manufacturers decided to economize in scale by switching 6.5x55 head diameters to the standard ".30-06" head diameter. But really, would it have been so difficult to keep things standardized with the Scandanavians?

Back 40 years ago when I first started playing with the cartridge, brass was hard for me to find so I resorted to making it out of '06 brass. Upon firing in the chamber of my M94 Swedish carbine it bulged quite noticeably at the web, so I bit the bullet and started sniffing out Norma brass and life was good.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I just stay with Lapua brass with mine, have enough to go the distance.

DF

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

[quote=gnoahhh

Back 40 years ago when I first started playing with the cartridge, brass was hard for me to find so I resorted to making it out of '06 brass. Upon firing in the chamber of my M94 Swedish carbine it bulged quite noticeably at the web, so I bit the bullet and started sniffing out Norma brass and life was good.[/quote]

All I ever used is Norma after I tried the same thing

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My Ruger carbine likes both the 139 gr Scenar and the 160 gr RN Hornady IL with a dose of RL22 or IMR 4320 in Lapua cases . I bought 500 Lapua cases and 5000 of the Scenar's when Osama 57 states got in office the first time . I have a hand full of 96's and a CG-63 also , they seem to all prefer the 139 gr Scenar with the exception of one rifle made in 1899 . It does it's best with the 160 so far but I have not tried anything heavier than that in it .

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I too laid in a prodigious supply of Lapua brass and 139 Scenars. Luckily, cost-wise, my Ruger 1A likes 129 Hornadys too. I guess I could say I'm pretty well set for the long haul also. IMR 4831 is my poison of choice.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I too laid in a prodigious supply of Lapua brass and 139 Scenars. Luckily, cost-wise, my Ruger 1A likes 129 Hornadys too. I guess I could say I'm pretty well set for the long haul also. IMR 4831 is my poison of choice.

Same here with 139 Scenars and Lapua brass.

Have you tried MRP? It grouped the Scenars tighter than 4831. It’s pretty close to RL-22 burn rate.

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The real penny pinchers shoot wc872 under a 140.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by slm9s
The real penny pinchers shoot wc872 under a 140.

My jug of 872 is about a clone of my 869. Those both work great in the 26 Nosler, identical loads perform identically. Those, especially the 872, reportedly can vary from lot to lot. So, your 872 may or not be a clone of 869.

That one may be a tad slow in the Swede (er SCAN....). You'd think it would be at its best with the heavies.

I would guess you'd be leaving some performance on the table with that one. But, I haven't tried it. Did you clock that load?

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, for the life of me I can't figure out how to post images directly from IMGUR, but here's a link to the album of my Swede.

https://imgur.com/gallery/LrNFN1l

I had a cheap Axis I rebarreled to the cartridge, just to be different a few years ago & feel in love with it as a deer & antelope killer. Last year, I decided I needed another project & not having owned a really classy looking gun I figured I really ought to rectify the situation.

It started out life as a horrifically neglected & Bubba'd Sears model 52 that I picked up for literally nothing. I had ER Shaw profile & chamber me a 20" tube, to match the original profile. I picked up a nice lump of walnut on ebay & shoehorned the action into it while Shaw's were doing their thing. I had to scour the intrawebs to pick up all the missing parts (single piece bottom metal, ejector & extractor & a few bolts & screws) the hardest part to source was the flush mount sling mounts & matching swivels from an M70 Supergrade. Good lord but those things are expensive! I sent all the metalwork away to Gareth West at GT Customizing in Casper WY to be mirror polished, blued & certain parts color case hardened. The stock took a trip to Minnesota and had the checkering hand cut (Ahlman's, if I recollect)
Once it all came home, I bolted it all back together & mounted a Leupold Fx3 fixed 6 power scope & hit the range.

My 2 pet loads involve Prvi & Lapua brass, 129gn Hornady & 140gn Berger bullets, both over healthy doses of 7828ssc

The rifle ended up quite a bit heavier that I would've liked, but it's an absolute pussy cat to shoot & I finally own a gun that I'm just as happy looking at as I am shooting.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (21, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2500HD, 34 invisible), 2,246 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,508
Posts18,490,691
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.