Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Read American Caesar by William Manchester. It's very pro-MacArthur but it offers an interesting perspective from a Pacific war vet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.4pcdn.org]

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
L
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
L
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK

100% true

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mac was the finest allied general of wwii. He is the father of combined force modern combat. Came back from the greatest american defeat of the war to reign victorious. No other is commander could have done that except perhaps Model or Manstein…and they didn’t…they lost.

Generals have big egos. Always have and always will.

Most over rated American general? Bradley

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Patton.
As a leader of fighting men, who knew how to inspire those men, Patton was a master.

MacArthur was more concerned with securing his own place in history, at the cost of his men's blood.

Thank you.

And yes, PATTON.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
I have never been able to understand why Macarthur didn't have the defense alerted for the attack on the Philippines.

That is puzzling. He had warning.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Patton

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Patton hands down.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
MacArthur stood up to the commie and organized crime lackey in the whitehouse at the cost of his career and by doing so almost single handedly held at bay the bullshit we're now facing for decades. He deserves our eternal gratitude for that.

^^^ THIS ^^^

If only he had been given the green light to go after the commies, we wouldn't be in the mess we are today, but he wasn't so my vote also goes to Patton - one helluva' General.

Last edited by High_Noon; 12/07/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Three30Eight
Mac was the finest allied general of wwii. He is the father of combined force modern combat.

Laughing. Based upon what evidence?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll take Ike & Bradley

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My Dad served under McArthur. He thought he was a great general and that if his advice had been followed we would never have had a cold war or VietNam. Of course lots of people wouldn't have been able to make the money they do overcharging the government for defense contracts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Patton.

My father was a sergeant in Patton's Third Army during WWII.

"Whose bright idea was it to put every idiot in the world in touch with every other idiot? It's working!" -- P. J. O'Rourke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
I have never been able to understand why Macarthur didn't have the defense alerted for the attack on the Philippines.

I'm not a big fan of MacArthur. My reasons are personal. I had a close friend who was left out in the freezing cold for 6 hours waiting by the side of the road waiting for MacAurthur to drive by. He was dressed in nothing but his Navy dress uniform. After that he was finished. I knew him in his 70's and 80's. John was a good friend and an excellent grouse and quail hunter, but he went 50 years with wrecked lungs from that fiasco.

Let me clear something up. I recently finished Clark Lee's memoir, They Call it Pacific

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JYD9MQM/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

Lee was an AP reporter who was originally stationed in China and got sent to the PI just as the Japs were set to invade. At the onset of the book, it was a Japanese General who subtly told him to get out of China. When he got to the Phillipines, everyone knew invasion was imminent, and were prepared. The defense of the PI was fairly masterful on all counts. For the longest time, we were able to keep the Japanese at bay.

The problem was resupply. The Americans kept begging for ammunition, food, etc. Every day for months, they expected an American landing or American bombing raids. It was a very purposeful decision by Roosevelt not to defend the PI and to let it fall. The crazy thing is that the Americans and Fillipinos were able to keep the upper hand for a long time. The Japs had underestimated our forces and our resolve and threw raw recruits at us with substandard arms and minimal logistical support.

I would suggest reading the book. It's a ripping good tale. Lee got out by the skin of his teeth. He was billeted close to MacArthur on the rock and provides a fairly honest, positive view of him.

My FIL served under Patton in The Bulge, and managed to get a bronze star for retrieving the company's radio under heavy German fire. He loved Patton, even though he got his ass shot off in the process.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
MacArthur took his money, his wife and the president and fled his command in the Philippines leaving 7K troupes serving there to surrender and many to die. Ridgeway cleaned up the mess that Truman had Macarthur make in Korea. Presidents make pretty horrific tacticians.
Bradley, Ike and most all of the command during WWII were political hacks that couldn't understand why a rich, uncouth General could be so effective at winning the war in spite of their failings. To give an idea just how effective Patton was, consider the fact that all the Nazi command leadership were afraid of him because of his effectiveness.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I was up last night reading “Caesar’s Commentaries “.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rainshot
MacArthur took his money, his wife and the president and fled his command in the Philippines leaving 7K troupes serving there to surrender and many to die. Ridgeway cleaned up the mess that Truman had Macarthur make in Korea. Presidents make pretty horrific tacticians.
Bradley, Ike and most all of the command during WWII were political hacks that couldn't understand why a rich, uncouth General could be so effective at winning the war in spite of their failings. To give an idea just how effective Patton was, consider the fact that all the Nazi command leadership were afraid of him because of his effectiveness.

Not a MAC fan, but he was ORDERED (we follow those whilst in uniform) to leave the PI.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by Hastings

I'm not a big fan of MacArthur. My reasons are personal. I had a close friend who was left out in the freezing cold for 6 hours waiting by the side of the road waiting for MacAurthur to drive by. He was dressed in nothing but his Navy dress uniform. After that he was finished. I knew him in his 70's and 80's. John was a good friend and an excellent grouse and quail hunter, but he went 50 years with wrecked lungs from that fiasco.

Let me clear something up. I recently finished Clark Lee's memoir, They Call it Pacific

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JYD9MQM/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title

Lee was an AP reporter who was originally stationed in China and got sent to the PI just as the Japs were set to invade. At the onset of the book, it was a Japanese General who subtly told him to get out of China. When he got to the Phillipines, everyone knew invasion was imminent, and were prepared. The defense of the PI was fairly masterful on all counts. For the longest time, we were able to keep the Japanese at bay.

The problem was resupply. The Americans kept begging for ammunition, food, etc. Every day for months, they expected an American landing or American bombing raids. It was a very purposeful decision by Roosevelt not to defend the PI and to let it fall. The crazy thing is that the Americans and Fillipinos were able to keep the upper hand for a long time. The Japs had underestimated our forces and our resolve and threw raw recruits at us with substandard arms and minimal logistical support.

I would suggest reading the book. It's a ripping good tale. Lee got out by the skin of his teeth. He was billeted close to MacArthur on the rock and provides a fairly honest, positive view of him.

My FIL served under Patton in The Bulge, and managed to get a bronze star for retrieving the company's radio under heavy German fire. He loved Patton, even though he got his ass shot off in the process.

Excellent post.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GAGoober
There are different types of Generals. All types are very important to winning a war. Patton was a Battlefield General, a true fighter and leader of battle units, who could inspire, lead and fight. MacArthur was more of an all around administrative Statesman type General who could manage all aspects of General duties including managing other Generals, logistics management, implementing strategy and inspiring his occupied Philippine people. Patton had a lot same skills but his true abilities were on the battlefield killing the enemy. They each fulfilled important but separate roles. Another is General George Marshall. His planning and logistics management helped win WW2 but you would not have wanted Patton & Marshall to switch roles.

I think that you nailed it. Different skill sets better suited to different jobs. Both McA and Patton were egotistical publicity whores who wanted to be the center of attention wherever they were. McA seldom gave credit for the tactical success of his Army commanders Eichelberger and Krueger.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 6 invisible), 1,532 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,298
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.