Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Whats up with the trapped coal miners and what decision has been made. I haven't seen anything in the paper.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would imagine they have been given up on. I was wondering the same thing myself. Hate to see them just left down there.

Jim

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
awaiting fed inspection. thinking is it will be decided it is too dangerous to make a third attempt

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They have stopped the search indefinitely - meaning they gave up.

A second cave-in killed three rescue workers, so that approach had to be abandoned. They drilled a total of seven bore holes to various areas of the mine and lowered cameras, sound detection and oxygen probes. No sight or sound of life was ever heard, no area of the mine had enough oxygen to sustain life, and most areas had only a few inches of space between the ceiling and rubble.

In truth, almost nobody really believes the six lost men survived the first incident, anyway.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We know where they're buried. It's no different than the fields at Flanders or the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor.

Dan

Last edited by Dan_Chamberlain; 09/08/07.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No � no different, with Bob Murray sure to become a modern counterpart of Admiral Kimmel.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I know this will start a big pissing contest but since the UMWA screwed themselves in the 70's, miners have been heading to more disasters. Companies have been successfully lobbying for relaxing mine regs and laws for more profit. The Aracoma mine fire in Logan Co., WV is a prime example. It used to be mandantory to have three shafts in drift mines. One for air in, one for the conveyor out, and one for air out. The miners can go in or out a ventilation shaft. The Aracoma mine had two shafts. The conveyor taking coal out caught fire and several miners couldn't get out. Mining is a dangerous occupation and is getting more so in the name of the bottom line. The problem can be fixed one of two ways. 1: make mines safer, 2: buy coal from China like everything else.

The self rescue breathing device miners carry lasts less than an hour. Many are defective when inspected IF they get inspected. If miners get trapped in bad air they live less than an hour if they can't get out.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I read somewhere (certainly not in a Chinese source) that the Chicoms lose 1800+, that's ONE THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED, miners a year. They simply don't care. 1 billion Chinese can apparently ignore that loss just like they can ignore the pollution, etc.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Recently there was an article on China's and India's coal mine fires contribute as much to global warming as all US autos and trucks. The mine fires are allowed to burn. China's amount of coal burned anually is more than all of the US coal mined every year. Since they are both a "third world" country they aren't expected to help curb the global warming problem.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
� and IIRC. there's a large underground coal fire in some eastern American state that has been burning uncontrollably for many years.

?

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had heard of some of these underground mine fires in the USA, but had no idea about the ones in China.
Sounds like a mess...

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fire that I was thinking of is the Centralia, Pennsylvania, fire that that has been burning since 1962. By 1983, it was burning under about 350 surface acres and had grown to over 600 acres by 1991. It's expected to burn for as much as a hundred years, under eventually about 3,700 acres.

Lotta far thar!

"Good enough" isn't.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
The fire that I was thinking of is the Centralia, Pennsylvania, fire that that has been burning since 1962. By 1983, it was burning under about 350 surface acres and had grown to over 600 acres by 1991. It's expected to burn for as much as a hundred years, under eventually about 3,700 acres.

Lotta far thar!

I've been through there...a really spooky place. It's a ghost town now since it's been evacuated.

My parents are from Orwigsburg, PA, not too far from there.

Aqualung

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

"...Somewhere, there are Brownings in a two-hand hold,
Cocked and locked, one up the spout..."
- Jethro Tull
R
R
I don't care what the Utah 'guv'ner' wants, or says;The State is as culpable or should I say, is as guilty as anyone, a mine doesn't stay working if the State doesn't want it to be.Murray is 'whacked' but he is right, he can't be the 'whippin' boy' for a 'Guv'ner' that lives off his chemical earnings that he has shipped overseas and sold, to be clean to all allegations. By-the-way I did know the "emshaw man" that died in the rescue attempt,he was a 30 year miner that in the end found a 'good guvment' job;then he allowed emotion to wreck his career; he should be looked up to . The blame can be pinned on the 'Corporate servants' that work for the state and federal government that look out for themselves and do what they are told,not considering the working conditions. or the fact that the government wants chinese (interesting that the Utah Governor speaks fluent Chinese;please don't bring up the religious mission excuse) coal as it is cheaper, and doesn' have the standards that american coal has to live and work under .

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Lotta far thar!

The government bought the entire town and everybody relocated save for one hold out.Prolly an old lady with 50 cats. Which BTW I admire that kind of tenacity.And as one postersaid it is kinda creepy.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yaddah, Yaddah, Yaddah.

The cause of the disaster was an act of God, an earthquake. There is no evidence that any of the victims survived the initial quake so no one knows if additional shafts would have made any difference.

Some people seem to make being irate their life career.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
We know where they're buried. It's no different than the fields at Flanders or the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor.

Dan

I agree. I know it must be terrible for the families of those men to not be able to bury them properly and have the opportunity to say goodbye. However,I just cant see taking the risk of killing even more men to look for the dead. If there were a possibility of life, that would be different, but from all accounts, there are no signs of life in that mine.

Hopefully, the mines will allow the families to have a memorial at the mines to mark the mass grave of their loved ones.

"Courage is Fear holding on a minute longer."
-Gen. Patton

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,418
Posts18,528,245
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.