Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
He’s completely uninterested in mounting a scope on this rifle. He wants to use iron sights, and I’m good with that. His other 22 has a scope if he needs it, but he prefers irons.

That's the right way for a kid to learn!!!

You've got a smart kid there!

One can't have too many .22's!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Marksman 1941, has a nice Winchester 62 A!!

Maybe it's what your looking for!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58

It probably is, but it’s also probably more than I can afford.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B

It probably is, but it’s also probably more than I can afford.

Gotta throw in another plug for the BL22. My guess is that it will fit him better than the others. The sights on it are pretty fine. Too fine for me to even SEE anymore. If you CAN see them, you can draw a pretty fine bead. They also point pretty well. I used to just fold the rear sight down and shoot thrown cans. That was fun...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Unless I missed it I have not seen any mention of a Henry lever rifle. They are reasonably priced, very slick operation and they have quite a few variations of barrel and stock combos, and are accurate enough to keep a tin can bouncing out at 50 yards. While they are not heirloom quality they may fill the itch for an "old" lever rifle. And they are made in the USA.

link to a few of the various models - https://www.cabelas.com/r/shop/en/S...%20action%20rifle&numberOfResults=32
drover

Last edited by drover; 12/09/21. Reason: add link

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Kinda depends on whether old means he has an actual taste for antiques or just wants something that looks old in style. An 11yo may not articulate the point.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Kinda depends on whether old means he has an actual taste for antiques or just wants something that looks old in style. An 11yo may not articulate the point.

Yep, that was my thought when I posted about considering the Henry lever rifle, they definitely have the "old" look and feel to them which I suspect may be what the kid wants rather than an antique rifle.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Son wants an “old” 22"

"My grandsons, 8 and 11 have many models and actions to choose from...and every single time they grab the little Remington #6 on the way out the door."

I'm impressed by any Kid that is into older guns and/or iron sights... Most today just want a sem-auto and a brick of ammo.

Raised right,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, as to his definition of old, his favorite actor is John Wayne, he carries a pocket knife everywhere he goes, says he wants a square body Chevy or Ford when he can drive, and has never worn anything but big black framed glasses. He’s also heavily involved in his Boy Scout troop and is already a leader, tells every veteran he appreciates their service, and will stick his hand out to shake yours. I’m not exactly sure what I did to deserve my kids, but I’ll definitely take them. They aren’t perfect, and none are, but they’re on the greater side of good.

He’d be more than happy with a Henry, but I know when I hand him an antique rifle he’s going to be thrilled. I actually just got off the phone ordering him a Remington Mdl 12A made in 1917. It’s in really good shape and they made me a great deal on it. I’m as happy as he’ll be, maybe....😂

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Great choice! Please post a picture when you get it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington model 12 should not use high velocity ammo

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ve got a ton of CCI standard and Federal Automatch. Those are the plan for now.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Agree with the BL-22 for a kid gun.

That's what I'd be looking for. Those are pretty sweet rifles..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
He’s completely uninterested in mounting a scope on this rifle. He wants to use iron sights, and I’m good with that. His other 22 has a scope if he needs it, but he prefers irons.

That's the right way for a kid to learn!!!

You've got a smart kid there!

One can't have too many .22's!

That's cool that he wants to shoot irons. Many kids these days don't even know what iron sights are..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Remington 141 pump action 22Lr is a fine rifle if you can find one.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My vote is for one of the Marlin 39a types, I grew up shooting one starting at about age 7 back in 1952. A few years back I acquired a couple of the shorter straight grip models, called the Mountie and enjoy it more, a little lighter and handier. I have them set up with a Marlin tip off mount installed and a couple of old Weaver K scopes, a 2.5 and 3x one with post and crosshair reticule, the other a heavy German #3 type, in some quick detachable rings, with adapters for the 3/8" tip off mount installed. These smaller scopes leave just enough room underneath for either one of the Lyman or Redfield receiver peep sights to be installed, so I can have a scope, and by twising a couple of little levers have iron sights a few seconds later.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Back in the Day when I used to set up at the O.G.C.A. Show in Cleveland, Ohio,
at the IX, Center, (the old Tank plant during World War 2), next to Hopkins International Airport.
My Buddy and I , who were Avid Winchester Collectors, used to try to each find one kid, and pick him out, and give him his first Winchester single shot .22 Rifle!
With their Parents Permission of coarse!

We thought that it was the Best way to keep kid's active in a great Sport, (hunting/shooting)!
It worked like a Charm, and all we told them was not to sell it! Enjoy, and Give Back, along the Way,
possibly, passing it along to someone else!

We had a lot of Fun Doing it! It was very Rewarding!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (219DW, 160user, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,187
Posts18,503,347
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.