Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Being left handed I bought a Ruger American Predator in 7mm-08 as a lighter weight Hunting & truck rifle.

We Found some dies on clearance at midway & they also had some 7mm Hornady 150 ELD-X so we were off to the races.

I loaded rounds to mag length with a few different charges of W760 in resized .260 Nosler brass & have just determined these loads will not allow the bolt to close.

Naturally I assumed I did something wrong but after referring to all the reloading manuals the brass is under sized, most of it 2.015โ€ & at the diameters it should be.

All I can figure is the head space was not set correctly. I am now in search of some Go-No Go Gauges.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

Attached Images
Last edited by hseII; 12/11/21.
HR IC

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Ruger is great about handing problems. The snag is you'll have to get a FFL involved for return shipping.

Maybe the gun store will help.

Last edited by urbaneruralite; 12/11/21.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Just contact Ruger. They'll make it right.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
The snag is you'll have to get a FFL involved for return shipping.

Maybe the gun store will help.

According to whom?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Why would you have to get an FFL involved?

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by hseII
Being left handed I bought a Ruger American Predator in 7mm-08 as a lighter weight Hunting & truck rifle.

We Found some dies on clearance at midway & they also had some 7mm Hornady 150 ELD-X so we were off to the races.

I loaded rounds to mag length with a few different charges of W760 in resized .260 Nosler brass & have just determined these loads will not allow the bolt to close.

Naturally I assumed I did something wrong but after referring to all the reloading manuals the brass is under sized, most of it 2.015โ€ & at the diameters it should be.

All I can figure is the head space was not set correctly. I am now in search of some Go-No Go Gauges.

What exactly does this mean?

Did you try closing the bolt on a piece of brass before you seated the bullets? Did you examine the bullets on rounds you tried to chamber to see if they were getting into the lands?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Bullet seated too long , refer to manual and see COAL , if you dont have tools the check distance to lands , or brass not properly reformed / sized

Last edited by ldholton; 12/11/21.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Does the brass chamber without a bullet in it? Would help to point you in the right direction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like bullets may be seated too far out and looking at pic you can't get the cartridge down in the mag so it isn't seated to mag length.

What is your cartridge OAL and what is Hornadys loaded OAL?

Have you tried to chamber a factory loaded round?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/11/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by mathman

What exactly does this mean?

Did you try closing the bolt on a piece of brass before you seated the bullets? Did you examine the bullets on rounds you tried to chamber to see if they were getting into the lands?

I used the Hornady comparator along with the 7mm-08 threaded brass to determine the distance to the lands with the ELDx seems to be 2.915โ€. I thought this a bit long personally so I did it twice more with readings within 0.002โ€.

This COAL started out at 2.835โ€ but I even went down to 2.795โ€ with no change.

I did not try to close the bolt on a new piece of .260 brass but I will. They all measure 2.015โ€.

Iโ€™ve measured everything it seems possible but maybe I did do something funky when resizing.

IC B3

H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by ldholton

Bullet seated too long , refer to manual and see COAL , if you dont have tools the check distance to lands , or brass not properly reformed / sized

4 went into the Ruger Magazine & would cycle except for the bolt closing once in the forward position.

2.915โ€ to the lands.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

4 went into the Ruger Magazine & would cycle except for the bolt closing once in the forward position.

2.915โ€ to the lands.
book COAL is 2.800. How did we determine distance to lands? And you have yet to mention your loaded ammo COAL

Last edited by ldholton; 12/11/21.
H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H

2.915โ€ to the lands.
book COAL is 2.800. How did we determine distance to lands? And you have yet to mention your loaded ammo COAL

Hornady comparator with the threaded casing from Hornady.

COAL was originally 2.835โ€ & I moved it all the way down to 2.795โ€.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd Sharpie the crap out of the case and bullet and see what's hitting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

2.915โ€ to the lands.

2.795 is only .005 shorter than 2.8

As suggested sharpie the bullet, easily slip the cartridge into the chamber and attempt to close bolt but not hard.

Easily retract bolt and look at the bullet. I bet you see the marks from the lands.

H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

2.915โ€ to the lands.

As suggested sharpie the bullet, easily slip the cartridge into the chamber and attempt to close bolt but not hard.

Easily retract bolt and look at the bullet. I bet you see the marks from the lands.

Yessir,

I also sharpied the bullet along with the case neck & no dice. Iโ€™ve tried all the โ€œtricksโ€ Iโ€™d seen or read about & so far no change.

H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
I'd Sharpie the crap out of the case and bullet and see what's hitting.

My 12 year old looked at me like I was crazy & asked โ€œDad What Are you doing making the bullet black?!โ€

This one has me stumped but as soon as thereโ€™s positive change Iโ€™ll share it here so the next poor soul doesnโ€™t fall prey.

H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
It goes all the way till where the bolt should be overcentering down but wonโ€™t- again son, โ€œ dad is the handle striking the stock/action at the slot?โ€

Nope. By eye Itโ€™s centered in the slot.

Last edited by hseII; 12/11/21.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hsell you look up Ruger cs # on the net you punch menu #'s as instructed you get a cs rep and explain the problem they will send you a shipping lable for your boxed rifle you have to take it to a UPS hub to ship no ffl needed. I am waiting my lable for mine which was improperly chamber also ( short throat).
.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

2.915โ€ to the lands.

Yessir,

I also sharpied the bullet along with the case neck & no dice. Iโ€™ve tried all the โ€œtricksโ€ Iโ€™d seen or read about & so far no change.

No marks at all?

No factory ammo available to try?

What is the shortest COAL you have tried?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/11/21.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,666
Posts18,493,690
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.