Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 29 30
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

16 minutes

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
Ephesians 2

" Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us...Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour."
Titus 3

"And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."

Romans 11

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No, a decent good person is one who practices the Golden rule as much as possible.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes ... but how you do it is what's in question.

Buying your way into Heaven is not it.

Repenting and confessing your sins to some so-called man of God is not it.

[bleep] organized religion. Learn to be one with God and do the right thing(s) not out of fear but out of knowing natural law and living by the word of God.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ro 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Paul doesn't mention repentance in this verse.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Ro 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

One rule of interpretation isn't any theological higher critical learned scholar stuff. It goes like this.
If there's 100 verses about the topic that are clear and one verse that seems to contradict, you go with the clear majority over the speculative few.
Romans speaks to believers ABOUT salvation in a clear way, like the chapter you cited. It's hard to come away from the book with a works based salvation, even though it teaches much about the separate post salvation walk with the Lord that includes some works.

There's one book of the Bible that is not only written to believers, but UNbelievers as well. Do you want to take a guess which one?

IC B2

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
What does that Chaldean word mean?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Jesus said, "unless you repent you will perish."

Acts 20:17-21 17 From Miletus he sent to Ephesus and called to him the elders of the church. 18 And when they had come to him, he said to them, “You yourselves know, from the first day that I set foot in [k]Asia, how I was with you the whole time, 19 serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials which came upon me [l]through the plots of the Jews; 20 how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you publicly and [m]from house to house, 21 solemnly testifying to both Jews and Greeks of repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Last edited by Savage_Hunter; 12/12/21.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter

Acts 20:17-21 17 From Miletus he sent to Ephesus and called to him the elders of the church. 18 And when they had come to him, he said to them, “You yourselves know, from the first day that I set foot in [k]Asia, how I was with you the whole time, 19 serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials which came upon me [l]through the plots of the Jews; 20 how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you publicly and [m]from house to house, 21 solemnly testifying to both Jews and Greeks of repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.

It is always fascinating to me to observe men choosing to divide and separate themselves from one another... over the tiniest nuance of a single precept.

While ignoring that the VAST MAJORITY of the world would rape either man's Chihuahua... then eat it for dinner.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter

It is always fascinating to me to observe men choosing to divide and separate themselves from one another... over the tiniest nuance of a single precept.

While ignoring that the VAST MAJORITY of the world would rape either man's Chihuahua... then eat it for dinner.

Well said, and funny as hell.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Jesus "unless you repent you will all likewise perish"

Paul is contradicted by Jesus so many times. It is a shame that Paul never met him so he could keep his story straight.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
No, a decent good person is one who practices the Golden rule as much as possible.

Do you think if you're "good enough", you're GTG?

What did Christ die for if you can make it in on your own account?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

One rule of interpretation isn't any theological higher critical learned scholar stuff. It goes like this.
If there's 100 verses about the topic that are clear and one verse that seems to contradict, you go with the clear majority over the speculative few.
Romans speaks to believers ABOUT salvation in a clear way, like the chapter you cited. It's hard to come away from the book with a works based salvation, even though it teaches much about the separate post salvation walk with the Lord that includes some works.

There's one book of the Bible that is not only written to believers, but UNbelievers as well. Do you want to take a guess which one?

No, you do not. The Bible doesn't contradict itself. If the original language can be understood as well as the customs of the time, there will be no contradiction. However, few of us know Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic. It makes it hard for us to understand what the authors were getting at but in the end, a heartfelt "Jesus, save me" will do it. That acknowledges that Jesus has the authority to save us as well as expressing our need and desire to be saved.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like me and wabigoon are going to have to make some more mustard vs ketchup threads to slide this crap off of the main page

Where’s all the old whiney kguntz that bitch about lack of hunting and shooting threads? Cmon on you 79 year old bastards!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it even possible to place your faith in Jesus as your Savior without first changing your mind (repenting) about your sin and your need for God’s forgiveness, and accepting His grace…?

I don’t see changing your mind (repenting), or acknowledging a need, or accepting a gift as being a ‘work’.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
I don’t see changing your mind (repenting), or acknowledging a need, or accepting a gift as being a ‘work’.

Right .... We might even think it was our decision to turn to God but how do we really know that it wasn't the hand of God on our life who caused us to make that choice?

We put so much faith in ourselves and our own "righteousness" it makes a mockery of the Cross.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Repentance is a natural result of accepting Christ as your Savior and being in-dwelt by the Holy Spirit. It is not the key to the kingdom, but it does demonstrate the fruits of The Spirt.

Last edited by ACTDad; 12/12/21.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

No, you do not. The Bible doesn't contradict itself. If the original language can be understood as well as the customs of the time, there will be no contradiction. However, few of us know Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic. It makes it hard for us to understand what the authors were getting at but in the end, a heartfelt "Jesus, save me" will do it. That acknowledges that Jesus has the authority to save us as well as expressing our need and desire to be saved.

RC,

I was reinforcing the point you originally made IF I understand you correctly.
Did I say "the Bible contradicts itself?"
Go back and read the bold text you are pointing to.

I said, " If there's 100 verses about the topic that are clear and one verse that seems to contradict, you go with the clear majority over the speculative few."

The problem some have with understanding the Bible use of the term "repent" in the KJV is Not the translation, or any contradictions. One main problem is covered in the video.
Did you listen?
Preachers like most popular TV preachers and Catholic priests is that they will not define it properly in context and they add to the gospel in order to bend it to their way of thinking. You don't have to be a Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic scholar in order to understand this doctrine.
It is simple enough for children to understand and receive that free gift of life. Even the crew here can figure it out without Greek as a second language.
I'll go so far to say that anyone around the world who never had a class on the common Greek culture of Christ time on earth, can understand that gospel today and what repentance is referring to.
If you watch the video, you'll get a better idea of where I'm coming from.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 12/12/21.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
If it’s not needed then John The Baptist was barking up a tree.
I don’t think that he was. He was spot on.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Looks like me and wabigoon are going to have to make some more mustard vs ketchup threads to slide this crap off of the main page

Where’s all the old whiney kguntz that bitch about lack of hunting and shooting threads? Cmon on you 79 year old bastards!!!

The only "crap" I saw on the main page were three bowl movement threads that YOU started.
1. Pictures of your toilet after you crapped
2. Pictures of animals lifting their tails and deficating...
3. The latest was about your bathroom habits.....how you prefer to undress to take a crap so you don't crap on yourself.

The gospel of the Savior and what defines that is NOT crap, Slum.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
God Happy Camper is ghey.

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,495,014
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.