Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Have any ideas why they were picked to be at the scene?

just prepared a sermon on this yesterday, will go preach it here in a couple of hours.

of course, this is my opinion and a "sermon starter",.

Jesus had a habit of honoring the humble and ignoring the rich or prideful. shepherding was one of the most humbled professions of that day.

Or, maybe it was a foreshadowing of Who Jesus would be.... after all, He called Himself the Good Shepherd.
and.... He lived an humble life. He fed His sheep. He cared for His sheep. He protected His sheep. He died for His sheep.

Or, some might sarcastically they were the only people the angel came across awake and available at that time of night. (I don't buy that though)

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K

What Shepherds? Mine says Magi.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by K22

Luke 2:8

The Shepherds and the Angels
8And there were shepherds residing in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks by night. 9Just then an angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid! For behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people: 11Today in the city of David a Savior has been born to you. He is Christ the Lord! 12And this will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.”

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by K22

The Magi were the wisemen that followed the star to Jesus’ location. The shepherds were tending their sheep when an angel told them of the birth of our Savior. Different group of guys.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by K22

You must be reading the events in Matthew. In Luke, the shepherds came the first night. The magi came as much as 2 years later. They had to travel all the way from somewhere near what's now Baghdad.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
No two ways about it, Christ was born to save us.
Again, presuming fact not in evidence, specifically that he was even born.
Jesus was mentioned by Roman and Jewish historians who had nothing to do with the Bible, who weren’t Christian’s, and who had no agenda.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by K22

You must be reading the events in Matthew. In Luke, the shepherds came the first night. The magi came as much as 2 years later. They had to travel all the way from somewhere near what's now Baghdad.

True.

Kind of gives new meaning to errors.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by antlers
Jesus was mentioned by Roman and Jewish historians who had nothing to do with the Bible, who weren’t Christian’s, and who had no agenda.

Most people (including agnostic and atheists)who study non biblical evidence “did Jesus live when the Bible said he did” come to the conclusion, he did. They may or may not believe him to be God, but they agree, he did exist. And was likely crucified, as the Bible says.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

The passage in Josephus's Antiquities of the Jew, Testimonium Flavianum, is clearly a forgery added by later Christian. The rest of the so called references get much later and further in time for the alleged events very quickly. They are not exactly high quality evidence to support claims of supernatural events.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by JeffP

Most people (including agnostic and atheists)who study non biblical evidence “did Jesus live when the Bible said he did” come to the conclusion, he did. They may or may not believe him to be God, but they agree, he did exist. And was likely crucified, as the Bible says.

Once upon a time it was accepted that Moses existed, but now all the experts except as fact that we was a purely mythical figure, like Thor or Zeus. Scholarship is moving the same direction on Jesus.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hell will be filled with those experts.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter

Again, you are just presuming it exists. Christians love to trot out the threat of hell when they have no good response.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The passage in Josephus's Antiquities of the Jew, Testimonium Flavianum, is clearly a forgery added by later Christian. The rest of the so called references get much later and further in time for the alleged events very quickly. They are not exactly high quality evidence to support claims of supernatural events.
In one passage of Josephus’ Jewish Antiquities, he recounts an unlawful execution, and he identifies the victim as James, the “brother of Jesus-who-is-called-Messiah.” And very few scholars doubt this account’s authenticity.

World reknowned Biblical scholar and agnostic/atheist Bart Ehrman disagrees with you. He clearly said that "whatever else you may think about Jesus, he certainly did exist."

https://www.history.com/.amp/news/was-jesus-real-historical-evidence

https://www.npr.org/2012/04/01/149462376/did-jesus-exist-a-historian-makes-his-case

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

In one passage of Josephus’ Jewish Antiquities, he recounts an unlawful execution, and he identifies the victim as James, the “brother of Jesus-who-is-called-Messiah.” And very few scholars doubt this account’s authenticity.

World reknowned Biblical scholar and agnostic/atheist Bart Ehrman disagrees with you.

And other's disagree with him. I'm familiar with Barts work, I own several of his books and subscribe to his blog. His book attempting to "Prove" the historicity of Jesus is considered is weakest work.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 12/12/21.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Again, you are just presuming it exists. Christians love to trot out the threat of hell when they have no good response.

Kinda busy today so perhaps I will respond later, but what you post as “undisputed fact” is not.

Just because should do not see the evidence and just because you do not understand does not make Jesus and the Bible untrue.

There are “good responses” and there justified basis for belief…. I have showed them to you before….. but you choose not to regard that info…..that is your choice.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by JeffP

Once upon a time it was accepted that Moses existed, but now all the experts except as fact that we was a purely mythical figure, like Thor or Zeus. Scholarship is moving the same direction on Jesus.

Going by scriptures it sure looks like you are correct antelope_sniper.

Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth.

2 I will open my mouth in a PARABLE: I will utter dark sayings of old:

0 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in PARABLES?

11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the MYSTERIES of the KINGDOM ( see Luke 17:20-21)(Matt 6:33) of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

13 Therefore speak I to them in PARABLES: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

24 Which things are an ALLEGORY: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

Last edited by K22; 12/12/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

since you don't believe in it, then you should not be offended at those who do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

World reknowned Biblical scholar and agnostic/atheist Bart Ehrman disagrees with you. He clearly said that “whatever else you may think about Jesus, he certainly did exist."

https://www.npr.org/2012/04/01/149462376/did-jesus-exist-a-historian-makes-his-case
And other's disagree with him. I'm familiar with Barts work, I own several of his books and subscribe to his blog. His book attempting to "Prove" the historicity of Jesus is considered his weakest work.
lol

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by gremcat
Shepherds deemed so lowly and shifty their testimony wasn’t admissible in court.

Shepherds were still a thing when this was painted.

[Linked Image from 3.bp.blogspot.com]

Who are the caucasians and red heads?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

since you don't believe in it, then you should not be offended at those who do.

Why is the threat of hell being used?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 1minute, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.