Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 30 1 2 3 4 29 30
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Houston_2
If it’s not needed then John The Baptist was barking up a tree.
I don’t think that he was. He was spot on.
And John was the greatest of them all said no less than Jesus who by the way also preached the grace of salvation produced by repentance and evidenced by the fruit of good works.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Hastings
And John was the greatest of them all said no less than Jesus who by the way also preached the grace of salvation produced by repentance and evidenced by the fruit of good works.

This, I believe.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

There's a lot of sermon topics and applications in the Bible that most preachers proclaim. John preached on more than one, which is what we read. Read the angel's message from God to Zachariah, John's Dad. He mentions more than one topic. They don't all include the gospel of salvation.
I'm not trying to argue, I'm just wondering,
Do you know what John the Baptist preached about salvation?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it’s not needed then John The Baptist was barking up a tree. I don’t think that he was. He was spot on.
I think the Baptism of Repentance that John the Baptist was preaching is very different from what many people think of it as being.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Gabriel the angel said as recorded in Luke 1,

""But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.
For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.
And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."

He certainly preached the gospel that folks had to believe before he would baptize them. However, there are things mentioned here that are to prepare Israel for their Messiah/ Christ. Some things John preached were to show the false teachers for who they were. The pharisees and Sadducees preached false work salvation gospels to their people, many who went to hear him preach.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

There's a lot of sermon topics and applications in the Bible that most preachers proclaim. John preached on more than one, which is what we read. Read the angel's message from God to Zachariah, John's Dad. He mentions more than one topic. They don't all include the gospel of salvation.
I'm not trying to argue, I'm just wondering,

I think Hastings covered it pretty well.

Prior to his death I believe he admonished his captors to repent of what he charged them with.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Do you?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I agree, John was absolutely right.
To distinguish the walk of someone with the Lord after salvation with John's preaching of repentance FOR salvation, it's quoted by someone who listened to him preach.

"Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus."
Acts 19:4

The people were told to quit trusting in the law and traditions of what became to be commonly taught in the Jewish religion and repent, meaning (change their minds ). Their Savior, Christ Jesus was beginning His ministry and preaching this as well. So they had to change their minds about the false belief they had in keeping the law and choose to believe in Christ.
Baptism was a work or first step of identifying with Christ AFTER they put their faith in Him...."that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ." Baptism was not a requirement for salvation, but a work of obedience following the free gift.

Does that make sense, Houston?

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 12/12/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

16 minutes

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
Ephesians 2

" Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us...Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour."
Titus 3

"And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."

Romans 11

What does the first sermon say by a first person student of the One Who saves?

"Repent and let each of you be baptised..." Acts 2:38

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

To distinguish the walk of someone with the Lord after salvation with John's preaching of repentance FOR salvation, it's quoted by someone who listened to him preach.

"Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus."

The people were told to quit trusting in the law and traditions of what became to be commonly taught in the Jewish religion and repent, meaning (change their minds ). Their Savior, Christ Jesus was beginning His ministry and preaching this as well. So they had to change their minds about the false belief they had in keeping the law and choose to believe in Christ.
Baptism was a work or first step of identifying with Christ AFTER they put their faith in Him...."that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ." Baptism was not a requirement for salvation, but a work of obedience following the free gift.

Does that make sense, Ringman?

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm fairly sure, Jesus healed someone, and said,: "Go, and sin no more."

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Who was that person?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm not sure Huston.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

Does that make sense, Houston?

Yes, HC, it does make sense.

One could easily conceive that there’s no forgiveness without repentance but He asked that they be forgiven for they know not what they do. From that one could assume in some manner that ignorance doesn’t necessarily mean total condemnation.

I realize that’s stretching things out pretty far.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Who was that person?

And I bet that they went ahead and sinned anyway. Can't stop a sinner doing what they do best.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm not sure Huston.

No problem. I was just scratching my noggin trying to remember.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I can't quote scripture off the top of my head.
I'm not that smart.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I can't quote scripture off the top of my head.
I'm not that smart.

Confession is good for the soul.
Lol

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Bing search.[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Ro 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Paul doesn't mention repentance in this verse.

Jesus said, "unless you repent you will perish."

Acts 20:17-21 17 From Miletus he sent to Ephesus and called to him the elders of the church. 18 And when they had come to him, he said to them, “You yourselves know, from the first day that I set foot in [k]Asia, how I was with you the whole time, 19 serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials which came upon me [l]through the plots of the Jews; 20 how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you publicly and [m]from house to house, 21 solemnly testifying to both Jews and Greeks of repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.

It is always fascinating to me to observe men choosing to divide and separate themselves from one another... over the tiniest nuance of a single precept.

While ignoring that the VAST MAJORITY of the world would rape either man's Chihuahua... then eat it for dinner.

Well they might be sorry about it, later

Page 2 of 30 1 2 3 4 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1minute, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,126
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.