Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you are possibly using a little thicker match type brass you could have a slight donut problem. When the very bottom of the neck is a tad thick, I'll explain a bit better when your necking up sometimes you can pull thicker brass from the shoulder up into the very bottom of the neck therefore the brass is thicker and won't chamber just at the very last end of it. Any brass can do this but usually not that closest step from 6.5 to 7. Hornady match brass I've had more trouble with this than any other

Last edited by ldholton; 12/12/21.
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am really disappointed in the fire. Someone should have stepped up and told the OP to put the rifle back in the gun cabinet and offered to send a couple factory rounds after they chambered them in their own 7mm-08.

I don't own a 7-08.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by ldholton
If you are possibly using a little thicker match type brass you could have a slight donut problem. When the very bottom of the neck is a tad thick, I'll explain a bit better when your necking up sometimes you can pull thicker brass from the shoulder up into the very bottom of the neck therefore the brass is thicker and won't chamber just at the very last end of it. Any brass can do this but usually not that closest step from 6.5 to 7. Hornady match brass I've had more trouble with this than any other

Understood.

I assumed going from 6.5 to 7 would be the least changed but maybe I was mistaken. I have plenty of 308 brass so I can do that if the .260 brass proves to be the culprit.

Last edited by hseII; 12/12/21.
H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by roundoak
I am really disappointed in the fire. Someone should have stepped up and told the OP to put the rifle back in the gun cabinet and offered to send a couple factory rounds after they chambered them in their own 7mm-08.

I don't own a 7-08.

I appreciate the idea but it is what it is in 2021.

I hope to have this resolved & either way will share what I find.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak

I don't own a 7-08.

It can be a pain to "legally" ship ammunition.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
hse, you have a factory case in hand. The Hornady modified case for the L-N-L OAL length gauge. It will suffice. See if it chambers with average effort for bolt closure. No bullets.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Its easy to expand brass to a larger caliber. Just buy a tapered expander button for your die. I use one of those in a few cartridges regardless, because they resize smoother and seem to cause less runout.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hseII
Being left handed I bought a Ruger American Predator in 7mm-08 as a lighter weight Hunting & truck rifle.

We Found some dies on clearance at midway & they also had some 7mm Hornady 150 ELD-X so we were off to the races.

I loaded rounds to mag length with a few different charges of W760 in resized .260 Nosler brass & have just determined these loads will not allow the bolt to close.

Naturally I assumed I did something wrong but after referring to all the reloading manuals the brass is under sized, most of it 2.015” & at the diameters it should be.

All I can figure is the head space was not set correctly. I am now in search of some Go-No Go Gauges.

Has anyone else dealt with this?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-m77-22-250-new-unfired-will-not-chamber

Ed
H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by gunzo
hse, you have a factory case in hand. The Hornady modified case for the L-N-L OAL length gauge. It will suffice. See if it chambers with average effort for bolt closure. No bullets.

You are correct.

The bolt would not close on the L-N-L empty case either.

Good Call.

Attached Images
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Find some 7-08 factory ammo, like I asked about earlier.. Someone has one ask your friends. Until them every comment about your issue is for naught! Unless I missed it you haven't tried that yet!!v. You might send a perfectly good gun back and be in the same boat in the end! To much talk not enough action! It keeps a thread going but sheeesh!

Last edited by Heym06; 12/12/21.
IC B3

H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Heym06
Find some 7-08 factory ammo, like I asked about earlier.. Someone has one ask your friends. Until them every comment about your issue is for naught! Unless I missed it you haven't tried that yet!!v. You might send a perfectly good gun back and be in the same boat in the end! To much talk not enough action! It keeps a thread going but sheeesh!

As stated previously no 7mm-08 to be had right now. I’ve ordered some but they aren’t here yet.

The 7mm-08 Lock-N-Load case used with the comparator is an empty 7mm-08 case that has been threaded thru the primer hole. This was suggested by another contributor of this thread & I responded after trying it.

What are you contributing again?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
[quote=Heym06]Find some 7-08 factory ammo, like I asked about earlier.. Someone has one ask your friends. Until them every comment about your issue is for naught! Unless I missed it you haven't tried that yet!!v. You might send a perfectly good gun back and be in the same boat in the end! To much talk not enough action! It keeps a thread going but sheeesh!

As stated previously no 7mm-08 to be had right now. I’ve ordered some but they aren’t here yet.

The 7mm-08 Lock-N-Load case used with the comparator is an empty 7mm-08 case that has been threaded thru the primer hole. This was suggested by another contributor of this thread & I responded after trying it.

What are you contributing again?
[Forgot your cluster never another suggestion ! My bad gfy

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

You are correct.

Good Call.

IMHO, now its time to talk to Ruger, but nothing before this was reason too. Upsised brass & all.

YMMV, but before I thought of the mod case suggestion, I went to my cave & tried a 243 & a 308 Hornady mod case in Remington's so chambered. Smooth feeding...

Now.... might be time to call N.C., Mayodan I think.

And, they will furnish the UPS driver with a pre paid label & he'll pick it up. Return directly to you with an adult sig. Well, if you live in one of the freer states that is.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
One last thought...is it possibly the ejector or extractor causing it to not close?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shouldn't be a problem. Had the same problem with my 223 Ranch Rifle as have other members here and on other forums with the American series of rifles and we all seem to say Ruger took care of it and has good customer service.

I've bought a lot of Ruger rifles going back to the 60s and currently have four in my safe. Untill now I've.never had a problem with any of them but it's like they're using the customers who bought the American series of rifles as quality control instead of doing it themselves.

H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H

You are correct.

Good Call.

IMHO, now its time to talk to Ruger, but nothing before this was reason too. Upsised brass & all.

YMMV, but before I thought of the mod case suggestion, I went to my cave & tried a 243 & a 308 Hornady mod case in Remington's so chambered. Smooth feeding...

And, they will furnish the UPS driver with a pre paid label & he'll pick it up. Return directly to you with an adult sig. Well, if you live in one of the freer states that is.

I agree. I was hoping that someone had a set of go/no go gauges locally but the LNL case tells the tale.

I’ll call them in the morning.

H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
One last thought...is it possibly the ejector or extractor causing it to not close?

That’s a good question however I placed a case in the bolt early on & it appears the Extractor is not causing issue with the case: it grips it well.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

You are correct.

Good Call.

Honestly I'm always shocked but I'm glad you found the problem glad you found the problem and I'm at Ruger will take care of it

H
hseII Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by ldholton

You are correct.

Good Call.

Honestly I'm always shocked but I'm glad you found the problem glad you found the problem and I'm at Ruger will take care of it

If it can go wrong at all, I am the one who gets that offering.

I’m the test dummy for a friend of mine who modifies/ports chainsaws: if it will fail, it will fail with me. I’m not unusually hard on my gear but I seem to find the weaknesses.

I’ve an aunt who often states β€œS#%t happens if you eat regularly.”

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
"Ruger will take care of it" I hope so, I called the 1 week ago exactly and dealt with their cs rep on the short throat in my RAP 6mm Creed. Gal said she would send me a shipping label and I needed to box it up and take down to the UPS hub to ship. It will go tommorrow and we will see. ....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,190 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,642
Posts18,493,259
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.