Page 4 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 29 30
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by Houston_2
Originally Posted by antlers
I don’t think any external act is necessary for salvation.

^^
This. The first and great Commandment.

And the second is like unto it.
Good works beyond that to your fellow man are just stars in your crown.

I think that's what antlers said, but you mentioned the first and great commandment. That makes me think of what Jesus said, not antlers.

"Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Did this man keep that commandment since he was a child?
Did you keep that since you were a boy?
I didn't. I still fail both of those more than I know.

I believe you maybe have gotten off of the path of your original question.
I may have also.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldHat

16 minutes

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
Ephesians 2

" Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us...Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour."
Titus 3

"And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."

Romans 11

Yes, a person must repent.

Repentance is not works anymore than choosing to believe is works. Repentance is a recognition that you have sinned and wronged God. It's an Admission of your state of sin just as believing in Christ is an admission that Christ is Lord of all.

"I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance" Luke 5:32 This clearly connects repentance with the sin.

The game the preacher plays in the video is he shifts from specific verses which clearly state we must repent of sin to the general statement that every time the word repent is used it means sin. All it takes is one verse and Luke 5:32 does it.

Furthermore, simple belief is not enough to be saved.
"You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!" James 2:19

If you notice that common example throughout the video of Billy Graham clips. The preacher is giving a very brief point that can literally take hours to teach on the doctrines surrounding this topic. He is addressing one. That sounds like a "game", but he is responding to what I have heard hundreds of times from various people. I have heard both uses of which I took the effort as a young man to approach the study with an open mind, asking God to reveal this to me.
Graham says something my Bible never said as if he is Quoting Scripture. That's commonly misused.
However Keep in mind that the literal definition of the Greek word translated repent doesn't even contain a term for "sin.". I was lied to by many preachers for years, who did so willfully or ignorantly.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It's not all the complex. I've never read, or heard that an IQ of 120, or higher is required to get to Heaven.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

16 minutes

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
Ephesians 2

" Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us...Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour."
Titus 3

"And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work."

Romans 11

Repentance is not works anymore than choosing to believe is works. Repentance is a recognition that you have sinned and wronged God. It's an Admission of your state of sin just as believing in Christ is an admission that Christ is Lord of all.

"I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance" Luke 5:32 This clearly connects repentance with the sin.

The game the preacher plays in the video is he shifts from specific verses which clearly state we must repent of sin to the general statement that every time the word repent is used it means sin. All it takes is one verse and Luke 5:32 does it.

"You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!" James 2:19

If you notice that common example throughout the video of Billy Graham clips. The preacher is giving a very brief point that can literally take hours to teach on the doctrines surrounding this topic. He is addressing one. That sounds like a "game", but he is responding to what I have heard hundreds of times from various people. I have heard both uses of which I took the effort as a young man to approach the study with an open mind, asking God to reveal this to me.
Graham says something my Bible never said as if he is Quoting Scripture. That's commonly misused.
However Keep in mind that the literal definition of the Greek word translated repent doesn't even contain a term for "sin.". I was lied to by many preachers for years, who did so willfully or ignorantly.

Preachers lying?

Apology for the mirth.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
I don’t think any external act is necessary for salvation.

^^
This. The first and great Commandment.

And the second is like unto it.
Good works beyond that to your fellow man are just stars in your crown.

I think that's what antlers said, but you mentioned the first and great commandment. That makes me think of what Jesus said, not antlers.

"Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Did this man keep that commandment since he was a child?
Did you keep that since you were a boy?
I didn't. I still fail both of those more than I know.

I believe you maybe have gotten off of the path of your original question.
I may have also.

Probably.

To wrap up what Jesus said by answering that man.
Sometimes Jesus would bring up the old covenant so that people could see that they already failed and broke it. Plenty of times. They want to justify themselves before God, as the Pharisees taught. They thought they had no sins to be forgiven, but of course they were wrong. Rich young ruler comes to mind as well. Jesus came to bring a new covenant, a BETTER covenant that includes what they lost sight of through the animal sacrifices.
Of course they blew it a long time ago and since. They needed to change their minds about what they were trusting in to save them and make Christ the Object of their faith.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Any chance we could get an expert in the bible to clear this up for us?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
When Antlers talks, I listen.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I sure am saving myself from a lot of this by being exempt from sin, but interesting reading none the less.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It's not all the complex. I've never read, or heard that an IQ of 120, or higher is required to get to Heaven.

You are right. I think that the devil tries to throw in a monkey wrench to confuse the issues.

"But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. "
II Corinthians 4:4

He's worked behind the scenes for thousands of years.

However, God reveals the truth to those who are humble and want to learn more about this all important subject. I was challenged by a preacher in my youth. Glad I took it up and studied all of the uses of the word repent that applied to salvation.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

16 minutes

Ephesians 2

Titus 3

Romans 11

Preachers lying?

Apology for the mirth.

I don't apologize for any of them. The consequences of their teachings are either salvation or damnation. Whatever is going on politically right now is not nearly as important.

IC B3

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You are right. I think that the devil tries to throw in a monkey wrench to confuse the issues.

"But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. "
II Corinthians 4:4

He's worked behind the scenes for thousands of years.

However, God reveals the truth to those who are humble and want to learn more about this all important subject. I was challenged by a preacher in my youth. Glad I took it up and studied all of the uses of the word repent that applied to salvation.

The Devil? You know that beliefs about Satan or the Devil, not one and the same concept, evolved over time?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Like I said before, a child can understand the true gospel.

Here's a question. It's not a trick question or to get one up. It's just a way to think and learn.

If you had a little girl or boy who was following you around the field on their bicycle while you were mowing, but you couldn't see them. You already warned them to stay away, but they nevertheless followed closely. Then they wanted to surprise you by coming around the brush hog or harvester. All of a sudden they're peddling next to you on the tractor.
Would they no longer be your child?

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 12/12/21.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
"IT" is a Gift .

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

However, if you listen to many preachers on TV or pop Christianity, they will misdefine the issues of the gospel.
Projecting???

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It's a start.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Then you're not familiar with Orthodoxy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Please prayerfully study that through and watch the short video and see if it makes sense. Ok?

There was a young Mennonite couple who came to the church I attended forty-five years ago. The lady was extremely conservative in her attire. One of the older women told her she should "prayerfully" consider her position. She started wearing sleeveless blouses and much shorter dresses. This taught me to not take time to pray about what God has clearly addressed in His Word.

There's certainly certain areas of scripture, some refer to as fundamentals, that are clear as a blue sky. I think that I understand what you mean there. However, I find that when I ask for wisdom and understanding, the Lord gives that and sheds light on some passages that were previously not as clear.

I've been a Christian for about fifty years. For decades I listened to the Bible at work, in the garden, while loading, and while driving. In the evening I read It. It's been years since I had a change of mind. One of those changes was getting the correct view of Jesus' instructions.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ACTDad
Repentance is a natural result of accepting Christ as your Savior and being in-dwelt by the Holy Spirit. It is not the key to the kingdom, but it does demonstrate the fruits of The Spirt.

I was taught years ago by my pastor friend of a campus ministry that repent meant "turn from your sins.".
Then he gave me his Sermon notes on his study.
I took that as a challenge to do a word and then a doctrine study of the subject.
I'm not saying you are doing this. I'm just pointing out that many preachers do this. He was taking the use of the word as it applies.to believers that sinned and turning it into a salvation verse that was not even meant to be.
When I was saved, it was the result of the first verses of the ones underneath the video. I realized it was not of works, (like trying to give up sins, or bad habits, or giving my life to Christ, or baptism). It was the undeserved kindness/ grace of the Lord offered as a gift free of charge. It cost God's Son His life. It was offered to me, as to everyone else, with no strings attached. Repentance then meant to change my mind to that reality. I asked God for that gift based upon the promises I read about it.....like ... ..I John 5

"And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."

After knowing that I had that gift and could not lose it, I also realized that I still had a problem. I still sinned. In order to stay close to God, I found out that I needed to confess my sins to Him, again based upon His Son's sacrifice.
This is O.T. and N.T. direction for restoration to fellowship. Sometimes it is referred to as turning to God as in Israel rebelling against God and committing idolatry and blasphemy, etc. If they turn in the sense of Nineveh then it's works which didn't save each individual from hell, but rather the nation from God's immediate judgement.
Jonah 3:9

"Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?
And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not."

Since we are not saved by works, their repentance only stayed God's hand of swift destruction on them. Individuals would still need to call upon the Name of the Lord in faith to be saved for ever.

Note also, who else repented?
God turned and repented. Can God sin?
No
So we see that the term repent, as used by Billy Graham and others, does Not mean turn from your sins. God repented many times as the result of believers prayer requests. He did not turn from sins. He simply changed his mind or turned as He did concerning the major city of Nineveh.

That's a whole Bible study there, and maybe more than you wanted to hear. What do you think about the topic?

Jesus says, "They believed for awhile and then turned away."

Everyday Hunter
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Please prayerfully study that through and watch the short video and see if it makes sense. Ok?

There was a young Mennonite couple who came to the church I attended forty-five years ago. The lady was extremely conservative in her attire. One of the older women told her she should "prayerfully" consider her position. She started wearing sleeveless blouses and much shorter dresses. This taught me to not take time to pray about what God has clearly addressed in His Word.

There's certainly certain areas of scripture, some refer to as fundamentals, that are clear as a blue sky. I think that I understand what you mean there. However, I find that when I ask for wisdom and understanding, the Lord gives that and sheds light on some passages that were previously not as clear.

I've been a Christian for about fifty years. For decades I listened to the Bible at work, in the garden, while loading, and while driving. In the evening I read It. It's been years since I had a change of mind. One of those changes was getting the correct view of Jesus' instructions.

What part(s) of His instructions are difficult to understand?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Here's a question. It's not a trick question or to get one up. It's just a way to think and learn.

If you had a little girl or boy who was following you around the field on their bicycle while you were mowing, but you couldn't see them. You already warned them to stay away, but they nevertheless followed closely. Then they wanted to surprise you by coming around the brush hog or harvester. All of a sudden they're peddling next to you on the tractor.
Would they no longer be your child?

Are you nuts?

Everyday Hunter
Page 4 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1lessdog, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,109
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.