Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
]https://www.kivitv.com/news/fox-news-murdoch-buys-montana-ranch-from-koch-industries

Fox News founder Rupert Murdoch has bought a large cattle ranch in southwest Montana from a subsidiary of Koch Industries.

The Beaverhead Ranch is spread across more than 500 square miles of private and leased land west of Yellowstone National Park. It has about 7,000 cattle and is home to 15 families who are employed on the ranch.

ABC News reports the sale was confirmed by Murdoch spokesperson Jessie Lyons, who declined to comment on the price.

The ranch was founded in 1865 and acquired in 1951 by a company run by the founder of Wichita, Kansas-based Koch Industries. The purchase was confirmed by a Murdoch spokesperson after being first reported by the Wall Street Journal, which is owned by Murdoch's News Corp.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Oh to be extraordinarily rich!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
It's only money.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
700LH: I can see part of that huge ranch from my home - and took the VarmintWife and the VarmintGrand-Daughter over to it to view, close-up, Elk, Antelope, Mule Deer and Whitetailed Deer thereon, yesterday.
The ranch just sold for a reported $325,000,000.00 (three hundred and twenty five million dollars!)!
It was called "The Matador Ranch" ever since I moved here (24 years ago) - maybe the new owner changed the name already?
I have a photo in my computer files of NFL quarter-back Brett Favre posing with a nice 6x6 Bull Elk and a dandy big Whitetail Buck he killed, on the same day, on that ranch!
I could send it to you if you wish.
I have been on that ranch MANY times - which I must keep some of the particulars quiet - if you know what I mean.
Only saw about 800 (eight hundred) Elk on it yesterday but we only traveled along 1 1/2 sides of the huge ranch which has hundreds of "sides".
To tell the truth if (and that is a might big IF!) I had the money I would have bought it.
The Koch brothers also often hunted Deer and Elk on that place.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hope it doesn't get busted up in 40 area ranchettes.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Or 40,000

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not even I have that much money - Thurston Howell III

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I wonder how many people were killed by their ranch hands?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Or 40,000

It’s now 320,000 ( three hundred twenty thousand!!) acres.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Something that big is more of a white elephant than a blessing. You'd need an army just to keep the roads cleared and trails open. I can't imagine trying to watch for trespassers or poachers in an area that large.

Last edited by reivertom; 12/13/21.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Lot's of montana is owned by rich fuggs who probably never even set foot on their ranch.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Near where I hunt there is an extremely wealthy rancher, with many employees. Not even the employees can hunt there. The man is hated.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm all for capitalism but I also appreciate the public land we have out west.

Bb

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
I wonder if for that price the mineral rights came with it?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
700LH: I can see part of that huge ranch from my home - and took the VarmintWife and the VarmintGrand-Daughter over to it to view, close-up, Elk, Antelope, Mule Deer and Whitetailed Deer thereon, yesterday.
The ranch just sold for a reported $325,000,000.00 (three hundred and twenty five million dollars!)!
It was called "The Matador Ranch" ever since I moved here (24 years ago) - maybe the new owner changed the name already?
I have a photo in my computer files of NFL quarter-back Brett Favre posing with a nice 6x6 Bull Elk and a dandy big Whitetail Buck he killed, on the same day, on that ranch!
I could send it to you if you wish.
I have been on that ranch MANY times - which I must keep some of the particulars quiet - if you know what I mean.
Only saw about 800 (eight hundred) Elk on it yesterday but we only

traveled along 1 1/2 sides of the huge ranch which has hundreds of "sides".
To tell the truth if (and that is a might big IF!) I had the money I would have bought it.
The Koch brothers also often hunted Deer and Elk on that place.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Drove through the Matador to hunt the backtail. Always were tons of elk and deer on that place..

Don't gobble at me
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I'm all for capitalism but I also appreciate the public land we have out west.

Bb

Same here.

I appreciate the abundant tracks of public land we have here in Michigan compared to most other states East of the Mississippi.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Lot's of montana is owned by rich fuggs who probably never even set foot on their ranch.

I know of one of those very large spreads. No trespassing and absolutely no hunting of any kind by anyone. Owned by a European.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Reivertom: Until recently my VarmintWife and I were/are VERY close to the just now former "Ranch Manager", and his wife, for that Matador (Beaverhead?) Ranch.
He took another position at another ranch a few months ago.
I am NOT sure what you mean by "white elephant" but if you mean that ranch looses money then I beg to differ!
That ranch has been operating continuously for a VERY long time!
I doubt it would have sold if it were "loosing money" (white elephant?)!
From what bits of inside information I am privy to the ranch is alive and doing very well.
Visualize, if you will, a buyer who pays cash for said ranch and then continues to grow crops, raise cattle and allow some Hunters to "access" said ranch.
It just MAY take Mr. Murdoch a while to recoup his total investment - but that, I surmise, is the LEAST of Mr. Murdoch' financial worries!
The INCREDIBLE tax write-offs and benefits that come with owning a huge free and clear ranch were and are motivating factors, I am sure, for Mr. Murdoch buying this giant "spread" from the Koch Brothers (Koch Industries).
Besides the great Hunting (of which I doubt Mr. Murdoch will partake!.
In fact this past fall I took my lifelong friend (100% Disabled Veteran) and another friend of mine Antelope Hunting on leased land from that ranch.
We only had one tag and made good on that one opening morning.
White elephant - again I am not sure I know what that means but if it is something derogatory then I refute that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Let's hope it stays as is and is not developed.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Keep the public land that WE have for all to enjoy.

Bit the privately owned land is just that. Privately owned. I can remember being in SW Montana in the mid 1990's. Two big stories at the time;

The introduction of Wolves, and

The ranch that Ted Turner had recently bought along the Gallatin Gateway Highway. It was so big that that there were only 3 bidders. The federal Gov't., Ted & a Jap firm or their gov't?. Ted won & the locals were elated that he, the lesser of 2 evil's won when the 3rd place bidder, the US Gov't. BLM) folded.

It's big. Bigger than most of us can fathom. We... cannot control things like that. Fruitless to worry about it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 75 invisible), 3,519 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,634
Posts18,533,297
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.