-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
He’s here for a few days, hoping to find a nice buck. There have been 3 nice bucks at or near a feeder, and one of the bucks is spectacular (for this area). I saw him the other afternoon. A heavy bodied mature fellow. He was 200 yards out and his rack was something to behold. But I let him go, to let the grandson have a chance at him. If the GS doesn’t get him, and if I see him again, he’s mine. I’m expecting the GS to see the number 2 buck, a real nice 8 with a tall white rack. That’ll leave me to hunt the big guy. That’s my plan, but if the GS shoots the big fellow, I probably won’t shoot the number 2 buck. The GS is in the stand right now. I’ll be listening for a gunshot around 5 pm.

GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Good luck to both of y’all!
peak98

Originally Posted by beretzs

I used an 06 with 212 ELD this year. I kinda joked with my buddies it was sorta like a 6.5 Creed with some ballz...
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hope he can find the number 1 buck!! Be sure to keep us updated!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My Tactacam camera shows me 2 bucks at the feeder right now, but neither are antler restriction legal.

I really like this new camera now that I’ve figured it out.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Best of luck to both of you

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I always found if I let the buck walk once, then that was the best thing. Wasn't worth shooting later on. Good luck. And think how big next year if the GS doesn't get him. Good luck on that. Hope he has time left in the season

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good things do happen. Lets hope it does. Good luck.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
He saw three last evening, a 4, a 6, and a 7 (missing brow tine). The 7 is a real nice buck, but he’s holding out for the big guy. This morning he only saw one buck - the 4, I think. Chances seem to be better in the evenings these days.

What I don’t really understand is why there were 3 bucks at the same feeder at the same time. That seems odd since we are in the rut. The two smaller bucks did fight a bit, but the GS says they weren’t putting much heart into it. Oh, well…

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I suspect they got their butts handed to them by the big boys.
Even some of the nice bucks here , have wounds from fighting.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Very interesting discovery today. I pulled the SD card from another camera and had some great shots of the big buck. That’s the good news. The bad news, I suppose, is that big wide rack was missing all the tines on the right side. Broke them off fighting, I guess. We won’t be shooting him this year even if we do find him.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 603Country
Very interesting discovery today. I pulled the SD card from another camera and had some great shots of the big buck. That’s the good news. The bad news, I suppose, is that big wide rack was missing all the tines on the right side. Broke them off fighting, I guess. We won’t be shooting him this year even if we do find him.

Aw, man, tough break!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yea, that's to bad that happened to the big guy. Once the rut starts all bets are off. Hope your GS still get a shot at a Nice one. I shot a good Buck this year, he had 3 broken points. after checking trail cam pic's he had all of his headgear less than 36 hours before I shot him.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 603Country
He saw three last evening, a 4, a 6, and a 7 (missing brow tine). The 7 is a real nice buck, but he’s holding out for the big guy. This morning he only saw one buck - the 4, I think. Chances seem to be better in the evenings these days.

What I don’t really understand is why there were 3 bucks at the same feeder at the same time. That seems odd since we are in the rut. The two smaller bucks did fight a bit, but the GS says they weren’t putting much heart into it. Oh, well…

There are phases in the rut where the bucks are together and apart.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Best of luck to the both of you. Keep us posted.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The GS had a chance at that 7 point the other day, but wanted to wait. This morning was his last hunt before going back to Dallas. He said a real nice buck came trotting out of the woods early, and he was gonna shoot it. He figured it would go to the feeder and stop for corn. But…you know how that goes. The buck jumped the fence instead and disappeared in a heartbeat. The GS will be back at Christmas.

There is, however, good news for me. The camera at the most remote of my feeders has shown what looks like an enormous sow, so I do have something to hunt.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
You need to find the one that broke the tines off the big guy,he has to be bad.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Best of Luck.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
He finally got a decent 7 point, but we haven’t seen the busted tine buck in a long time.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Congrats to your Grandson!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (AceBall, 10Glocks, Amos63, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,676 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,829
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.