Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
SamOlson: Your math may or may not be correct - I don't know.
But, maybe, 7,000 cattle came with the sale of this vast ranch?
That ranch has had in the past and is VERY capable of WAY, WAY, WAY more than just 7,000 cattle in total on it.
This ranch is HUGE and is well watered and has numerous crop fields to support LOTS of cattle!.
And, ANOTHER correction for you - the ranch is already paid for!
Won't take 100 years to "pay for it" or to realize a profit - the title/deed is free and clear - NO mortgage payments or interest to be paid!
So come spring, I am certain the new owner/ranch manager will fill up their vast fields, pastures and leases with calves and cattle to be purchased soon.
Those that GOT money MAKE money!
If you think Mr. Murdoch is going to "lose money" on this purchase YOU simply got another think coming!
The tax accountants and tax lawyers for Mr. Murdoch will be grinning from ear to ear come quarterly income tax time.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Why are the rich buying ranches and livestock?? If this all goes to hell people gotta eat. I think the money is going to be in Cattle ,hogs and sheep.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
"Why are the rich buying ranches & livestock?"

Various reasons, but one day I realized all the fancy, high dollar Thoroughbred farms in my area, or just south of me, far outnumbered the number of horse races in the entire world.

I ask around & it was boiled to 3 basic groups.

-Wealthy folks just wanting to live the dream.

-Get rich dreamers/gamblers hoping for a dream come true win.

- Hiding money, tax write off. Easy to have a big write off if ya own an ultra expensive cattle ranch or Thoroughbred farm.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my work, I deal with both owner ranchers, and owned ranches. Night and day. Find an owner, you only have to ask once and you get your answer. Find a manager, three asks is the minimum.

The Koch's are pretty much, or were, Westerners in mind. Murdoch not so much, and his kids won't be. And I'm with Jim and Sam on the numbers, at over a grand per acre, it's a plaything and tax haven that could NEVER capitalize itself. It might work at about a fifth the price, ranch ground averages around 200 per acre overall in terms of return. But that makes it really hard to maintain family for real ranching in pretty places with "amenities." Never mind inheritance taxes crush each generation.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Dave Skinner: I "keep an eye" on about 36 acres of land a friend of mines mother-in-law bought several years ago - the tract is flat and had been subdivided into 6 "lots" - she bought all six when they came up for sale.
The cost was a total of $690,000.00 then!
That land is nearly adjacent to the Matador (now Beaverhead) Ranch and was "ranchland" up until it was cut-off and subdivided.
It has one gravel road going down the middle and NO other improvements - no water, no electricity nothing!
It is pretty much level and has wonderful views - just like most all of the huge Matador Ranch (now known as the Beaverhead Ranch?).
So I think your "appraisal" of the ranch's worth needs "re-appraising" - right away.
Or maybe YOU are smarter than Mr. Murdoch?
It would be great to have a "multi-multi-billionaire" here with us on the CampFire.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahaha!

Savage burn on ole Sammo.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What's that smell?

Something is burning....

Oh yeah, my ass!

LOL

I love a good Varmint beatdown.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by SamOlson
It was brand renewal year in Montana.

$175 per brand, good for 10 years.

Cost me $350.
(my brother owes me half...)

Money well spent, our brand inspectors do a great job.

Sam... you bring a ton of info the the Fire... I had no idea there were still brands... nor inspectors. I just assumed ear tags.

Fascinating life you live very large...

Good luck on the rains... that part I get.

Pics and videos are also always great.

I'll try and do some WV cabins pics next year to keep up in a tiny way... or something interesting.

Same with Jim...

Shame BGG don't do pics... that boy seems about wildcard.

Cash, sadly I don't have a big ranch and for the most part my life is actually pretty mundane.

To use Jim's line, cow farming. No big fancy ranch house, helicopters and wild sluts like they have on TV....lol

We also use ear tags but they are strictly for our personal identification purposes. Ear tags can be removed and sometimes break or get ripped out and then you have no way of knowing whose cow it is.

Brands are permanent and in our case, crucial for figuring out actual ownership.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
We have a bunch of brands....and I am trying to get another from my Uncle.

I think we have 4 or 5 at the moment.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's big but it's only a fraction the size of Yellowstone. Wikipedia lists the ranch at 345k acres. The leased land is what makes it 500k. The park at 2.2 million. I wonder if that leased land includes nat. forest and BLM grazing rights. Grazing land is still open for hunting and other recreation.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Speaking of Brands, we have 4, SR, SRS, S-9, And the Sun Burst brand, we got when we bought some land about 20 years ago, the Sun Burst brand was John Armstrong, the Texas Ranger's brand, We only use it on our Long Horns.
Rio7

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
And good brands/locations are expensive!

My parents have 3-4?

My brother and I have two.

But we only use one.

Y standing O on the right hip.

Decent 2 iron brands sell for over $10k.

Some of the really desirable brands are no doubt 2-3x or more.

Brand info.

The less irons the better. Quicker at branding, takes less room on spring calves, overall way better.

Certain letters or symbols, numerals, etc., are better.

Acute angles can blotch if you're heavy handed with the iron. Curves and obtuse angles generally are more forgiving.

We number brand our replacement heifers for age purposes. I was a little overzealous with the 2018 crop(the iron was an undersized number 8) and now we have several cows with a 8 shaped blotch.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
SamOlson: Your math may or may not be correct - I don't know.
But, maybe, 7,000 cattle came with the sale of this vast ranch?
That ranch has had in the past and is VERY capable of WAY, WAY, WAY more than just 7,000 cattle in total on it.
This ranch is HUGE and is well watered and has numerous crop fields to support LOTS of cattle!.
And, ANOTHER correction for you - the ranch is already paid for!
Won't take 100 years to "pay for it" or to realize a profit - the title/deed is free and clear - NO mortgage payments or interest to be paid!
So come spring, I am certain the new owner/ranch manager will fill up their vast fields, pastures and leases with calves and cattle to be purchased soon.
Those that GOT money MAKE money!
If you think Mr. Murdoch is going to "lose money" on this purchase YOU simply got another think coming!
The tax accountants and tax lawyers for Mr. Murdoch will be grinning from ear to ear come quarterly income tax time.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Return on investment is a thing..... watcha think ol Rupert will get? maybe a 1% return? winnin...... lmao
Good thing you aren't a business man.....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Dave Skinner: I "keep an eye" on about 36 acres of land a friend of mines mother-in-law bought several years ago - the tract is flat and had been subdivided into 6 "lots" - she bought all six when they came up for sale.
The cost was a total of $690,000.00 then!
That land is nearly adjacent to the Matador (now Beaverhead) Ranch and was "ranchland" up until it was cut-off and subdivided.
It has one gravel road going down the middle and NO other improvements - no water, no electricity nothing!
It is pretty much level and has wonderful views - just like most all of the huge Matador Ranch (now known as the Beaverhead Ranch?).
So I think your "appraisal" of the ranch's worth needs "re-appraising" - right away.
Or maybe YOU are smarter than Mr. Murdoch?
It would be great to have a "multi-multi-billionaire" here with us on the CampFire.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

So do you think he will and can subdivide the whole ranch? good grief
You better stick to going to the mailbox for your income

Last edited by irfubar; 12/14/21.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

O-O Equals, Bloch Bar Bloch, well known on a ranch near here, Rio7

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
We number brand replacements too Sam.

Helps some.

The brand we use right now is a C lazy J on the left rib.

I like rib brands.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You gotta watch the O as well.

No hair brands, no blotches, piece of cake...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my brand is the scar bar blotch.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Jim, that is a really nice brand and of course fitting.

My middle name starts with a J and I always wanted some sort of S J combo.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
i was lucky Sam.

My great Uncle Jerome had that brand. His daughter gave it to me when I turned 18 as a graduation present.

I suspect a 2 character rib brand is quite valuable.

Friend of mine has what he calls a Mill Iron hip brand.

My buddy who died years ago always wanted something with a D M. Never could get one.

There are three brothers in this county that run cattle and all have the initials D M.

I am MAGA.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 2500HD, 222ND, 257 roberts, 68 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,692
Posts18,534,541
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.