Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Lee Gardner in Matoon, Il. I've known Lee for several years.
https://www.facebook.com/Lee-gardner-precision-LGP-187297694948219/

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Lee Gardner in Matoon, Il. I've known Lee for several years.
https://www.facebook.com/Lee-gardner-precision-LGP-187297694948219/

Got some neat stuff on his page !

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Lansend
Eddie built three rifles for me, all first rate and fully in accord with my specs. Nothing lately (my gun safe is full) so things might have changed. But his past record is very good and you live in Michigan, so why not take a drive to Luna Pier and see Eddie in his shop?

Thanks

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
have used 5 different sniths over 30 years.jim borden,mike bryant,clay spencer,karl feldkamp and mark penrod,all built shooters,if building on a winchester controlled feed mark is my only choice.phenominal.eddie fosnaugh i have heard nothing but good about.if in doubt and dont mind the ride talk to mark penrod.he is the equal or better than many.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love David Christman’s work.

Attached Images
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mark Gordon of Short Action Custom is in northern Ohio and does great work.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Penrod for sure.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 101guns
I love David Christman’s work.

David Christman is great. He built a couple rifles for me and has done other smithing work. As long as I've been around I seen and used several good ones. Karl Feldkamp, James Anderson, Mike Bryant, Jim Kobe, Pete Pieper, John Holiger, John Pierce, Jim Borden are just a few of the good ones. I know going in that the wait may be long, but I do most of my metal work and have gained a little patience.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I second penrod.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Another vote for Mark Penrod. Absolutely excellent work on a M70.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mark Penrod is on top of my list also.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Nothing confusing at all. I recommended him to a close friend based on his reputation here. My friend sent him all the parts and causally asked a ball park time frame. He said something like 6 weeks. My friend knowing things happen didn’t try to contact him until about 3 months and then it was just to make sure everything was ok. Eddie told him he was very sorry and had been busy. No big deal. He told him he would get it in the next couple of weeks. After a couple more months my friend tried to contact him again and he wouldn’t reply to him. I sent him a message asking him to contact my friend and explained my situation where I recommended him to a friend and how poorly things were going. He apologized again and gave another time frame which wasn’t met. The rifle finally arrived and it didn’t shoot like a 6BR defiance action brux or bartlien barrel McMillan stock NF scope should. After the whole bad experience he put the gun up and just forgot about it for a bit. After getting it back out we noticed the barreled action didn’t set right in the stock. The bedding looked amazing but it rocked and we determined the recoil lug was bottomed out. So we dremeled out some of the pretty bedding and skim bedded that. During all the trouble shooting we noticed the barrel didn’t really seem to be crowned. Now I’m not saying it was just chopped off flat. I also know some crowns are slightly different than others. With that said the crown was not like anything either of us has had before or since then. So he had the barrel crowned. After the bedding tweak and crown the gun is a tack river. I have absolutely no axe to grind and nothing against Eddie. I just wanted to share my experience. Maybe I shouldn’t have said anything about this but I would hate for someone else to have the same experience we did.

Well, I feel the need to respond to this partially true claim, even if it's about a build from 2015 (had to look it up because I couldn't remember that far back). The claim about timeframe is true, no denying, and in big part due to some personal family things that happened. I will leave it at that, since quite frankly it's nobody's business. Onto the claim of me not crowning a barrel, and putting out bad bedding is simply BS, not true. I have NEVER bedded a rifle without clearance under the recoil lug, ever. As far as the crown goes, the barrel was threaded and timed for a muzzle brake, therefore gets a new crown regardless, and my crowns/machining are done correctly, period.

I have no axe to grind here either, especially from 2015....however, it would have been nice to know about this back then. Finally, I am not going to get into a technical argument on how to check bedding, cutting crowns, chambering etc. with someone that doesn't know what they are doing.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention and putting me on blast. I am not perfect, but I do strive try to be a better person everyday.

I am truly sorry for your friends' experience 6.5 years ago. This will be my only response to this thread

Happy and healthy New Year!

Eddie Fosnaugh
www.fosnaughcustoms.com
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Greg Young, owner of Southern Precision Rifles is top notch!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I've bought a few actions and barrels from SPR.
Don't hear much about his builds on 24hr

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I currently have a rifle in the process of being built by Eddie. All I can say is aside from being a great guy to talk to, he has also been a pleasure to work with on this build. Great communication all along the way. I got to look over his shop, some personal rifles and shot the breeze awhile. I have ZERO doubt the rifle will exceed expectations with the attention to detail he has.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Eddie Fosnaugh is good and honest. I'm sorry that I didn't mention him earlier.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Eddie built a 6br for me some years back, and a few for my cousin

I was given a timeline that was accurate to within 2-3 weeks with Eddie. Which I felt was pretty dang good for a one man custom shop!
Communication was not a issue for me with Eddie

The rifle that was delivered was exactly what I was led to expect in quality, accuracy, fit, and finish.

I was very happy with my experience with Eddie and wouldn’t hesitate to send him another.

Dana English built me a 260 about 6 years ago

He was also very easy to work with. I caught him at a great time on that build and turnaround was much faster than he even told me to expect. Wouldn’t pause to recommend him either as he delivered a high quality rifle

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
GSPfan had a very nice Ruger No. 1 job by a 'smith in, I think, Mt. Pleasant.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son had a M700 customized by Mr. Fosnaugh about three years ago. He cut and crowned the barrel, installed a TriggerTech, installed and bedded a McMillan Edge, and did some bottom metal work. It is easily the most accurate rifle I own. It groups three into a half inch and five into 3/4” routinely. That is varmint rifle accuracy! There is a Big Horn action in his shop as we speak being built into a 7mm-08 for me and I fully expect the same result. I’ve also had him bed several Montana’s for me in the past. I’ve never had the first inkling of a problem with his work!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

If Mark Pensrod is busy, Ray Saltzman, in Tiption, IN, is an excellent rifle smith.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 21, 61 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,450
Posts18,489,657
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.