Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
weagle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Bought this sight unseen and it's more of a franken-gun than I thought. Barreled action is a Colt Light rifle in .270. TriggerTech Trigger. The Stock has a Remington Recoil pad, but it's not the cheap Walmart version tupperware. It's lightweight and fiberglass. It's pillar bedded and very crudely glass bedded ahead of the recoil lug. Leupold scope and unknown rings / bases

Is this worth putting some money in, or just run it as a shooter?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by weagle; 12/14/21.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The TT is cool, as are the Conetrol rings and bases (at least that's what I think they are). The stock, while ugly, has got to be an improvement over the factory tupperware.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
W
weagle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks. The stock has the feel of the stocks Remington used on the 700 LE versions (LTR) but it's shaped more like a mountain rifle stock. Maybe off of a 700 Ti ? HS precision?

Last edited by weagle; 12/14/21.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ti takeoff.

That’s a campfire special right there!

W
weagle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Ti takeoff.

That’s a campfire special right there!

It's pretty special smile Has a piece of popsicle stick in the bottom of the mag well to hold the box mag tight to the receiver. Definitely needs some additional "customizing"

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Those aren't Conetrol rings.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by mathman
Those aren't Conetrol rings.

They look like the S&K"skulputred' bases and rings to me. http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?main.html Mathman's right though, they aren't Conetrols.

Last edited by Kushtaka; 12/15/21.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Those are Gentry rings and bases.

NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Hunter Education Master Instructor
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd use it as is, and if you really like it get it to Melvin Forbes for a rework into a faux NULA.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have the stock painted or (do it yourself if capable) in the pattern of your choice then see how it shoots

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
IC B3

W
weagle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I'd use it as is, and if you really like it get it to Melvin Forbes for a rework into a faux NULA.

How are those rings installed? Do you just spread them apart and then squeeze them back together?

W
weagle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by cv540
Have the stock painted or (do it yourself if capable) in the pattern of your choice then see how it shoots

I'm thinking this will be the way to go. I need to get the box mag squared away too although it seems to function fine with the wooden shim.

I forgot to mention the front of the trigger guard attaches to nothing. It just has a filler screw and bolt.

Last edited by weagle; 12/15/21.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
"Is this worth putting some money in, or just run it as a shooter?"
I used to have a stock CLR and I disliked (1) trigger and safety (2) plastic stock (3) phillip head action screws....seems to me, you have these updated with your rifle. If bedding is ok and shoots good, what is there not to like? Looks like a keeper!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It's all about how much money you want to put into it. How much does the stock weigh? You are covered on rings, bases and scope. You have the best trigger on the market bar none so the only thing is the stock. Sounds like you are not crazy about it. I would have Melvin restock it and replace what needs to be replaced on the action sans the trigger.

W
weagle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by LEADMINER
I used to have a stock CLR and I disliked (1) trigger and safety (2) plastic stock (3) phillip head action screws....seems to me, you have these updated with your rifle. If bedding is ok and shoots good, what is there not to like? Looks like a keeper!

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
It's all about how much money you want to put into it. How much does the stock weigh? You are covered on rings, bases and scope. You have the best trigger on the market bar none so the only thing is the stock. Sounds like you are not crazy about it. I would have Melvin restock it and replace what needs to be replaced on the action sans the trigger.

Thanks. I think I was probably initially put off by how haphazard the stock / mag arrangement seems, but as I look a little more it seems it just needs some simple mods and a paint job and it will be fine. The rest of the bones seem to be quality and I got in it cheap, so all's good.

.270 is probably my least favorite chambering only because it makes me yawn, but performance wise it's as good or better than other's I shoot.

If colt had made these in a short action in .257 roberts, 7mm08 etc I think they would have had a hot seller.

Last edited by weagle; 12/15/21.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
First question. Have you shot it? That might answer the question regarding whether to tinker with it, or hunt it as is.

W
weagle Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Orion2000
First question. Have you shot it? That might answer the question regarding whether to tinker with it, or hunt it as is.

True. I just picked it up yesterday and discovered the franken-parts. I took a chance on it off an auction based on one crappy pic and a vague description.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is certainly a parts gun that someone appears to have put a lot of thought and money into to get whatever degree of improved performance he/she was seeking.

Personally, I prefer the erg of the CLR stock to those of the Remington 700 Ti stock, but stock fit is an individual thing.

If you got a good deal on it, shoot it and see how it does. If it doesn't meet your expectations, you could sell it or throw some more money at it. If you wanted to put it back into a CLR stock, parts are regularly available for sale on eBay. Not long ago I bought a new take-off barrel for my CLR in 7MM RM for less than $100 to replace the barrel that had some pitting inside the first couple of inches from the muzzle, probably blow-back from a close-up coup de grace shot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by weagle
Originally Posted by LEADMINER

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Thanks. I think I was probably initially put off by how haphazard the stock / mag arrangement seems, but as I look a little more it seems it just needs some simple mods and a paint job and it will be fine. The rest of the bones seem to be quality and I got in it cheap, so all's good.

.270 is probably my least favorite chambering only because it makes me yawn, but performance wise it's as good or better than other's I shoot.

If colt had made these in a short action in .257 roberts, 7mm08 etc I think they would have had a hot seller.

Colt stopped production of the CLR shortly after they started, so they never got a chance to build any momentum. I agree that a short action CLR would have been nice. The biggest problem that the CLR faced was people who expected to get a ULA copy for the price of a Remington 700. You don't often get to buy filet mignons at 85% lean ground beef prices.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Definitely worth putting time into. Re-bed, re-paint and if it doesn't shoot, re-bore!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 10 invisible), 1,387 guests, and 795 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,502
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.