Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by cfran
Originally Posted by Region6
You’ve shot far better deer. No doubt you killed it. Not sure the point of this post. Congratulations if that’s what you need.

Hey Region, maybe you should move along and not say anything at all, instead you choose to be an a$$.

This place has become full off [bleep]

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by blairvt
Originally Posted by cfran
You’ve shot far better deer. No doubt you killed it. Not sure the point of this post. Congratulations if that’s what you need.

Hey Region, maybe you should move along and not say anything at all, instead you choose to be an a$$.

This place has become full off [bleep]

It seems that just driving on by would be easier........
Good on ya RoundOak!

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I admire what you did by giving them the deer. I wish more hunters did the same.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by roundoak

The point of this post was to show a beautiful deer did not have to suffer any longer and glad I was in a position to end it's misery. Also, to show the neighbor and his son respected my property.

You can keep your congratulations.

Roundoak

My apologies, I took your initial post the wrong way. Glad it came to a happy ending.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks for the update. I have been involved in one .243 100gr blue box circus/nightmare. Brought back some memories fore sure.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hats off to ya Roundoak, you made a young boys year in one day.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

The point of this post was to show a beautiful deer did not have to suffer any longer and glad I was in a position to end it's misery. Also, to show the neighbor and his son respected my property.

You can keep your congratulations.

Roundoak

My apologies, I took your initial post the wrong way. Glad it came to a happy ending.

Apology accepted and best regards.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A update on this buck. After shooting hours I left my blaze orange vest on the buck to deter coyotes, I walked back to my truck and drove back to the farm. The father had left his cell number and I called and told him to come to the farm and we would retrieve the buck. Twenty minutes later 7 guys show up with a pickup and three ATVs. It is safe to say it did not take long to retrieve the buck.

Yesterday I just finished up with afternoon chores and the neighbor and his family showed up with some venison salami and landjaeger sticks. I invited them into the house for refreshments and got an autopsy report on the buck. The 15 yr old son was hunting with a Winchester Model 70 .243 Winchester and ammo was Federal PowerShok 100 gr SP. The buck was quartering to him less than 100 yards and the bullet hit the top of a lung , busted a rear leg bone and lodged under the hide.

My 87 gr Speer HotCor busted the scapula near the spine and ticked a rib on exit.

Awesome, you done right.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Roundoak,

I am glad you did what you did and all of this came to the rightful conclusion.

My take is that it is my ethical responsibility to do right by the animal. I will not let one suffer unnecessarily if I can do something about it. It is about the hunt for me, not necessarily being the one who gets to punch the tag.

Best regards from Central Kentucky.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Good job all around. The deer wasn't lost and wasted, the boy got his deer, family is happy. Will help with good relations with your neighbors in the future. And, you get to keep hunting!

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Great story with a happy ending , thank you for sharing . Good to see neighbors doing the right thing on both sides of the fence . Sharing the bounty is icing on the cake . You are a good neighbor and hunter .

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I taught the Hunter Safety Program here in NY for 35 years. The ethics "rule" was always " first fatal and trackable shot". So if their shot(s) would have been fatal AND they could have tracked him to his final resting ground, the buck should ethically be theirs. Other than that; the option was yours.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sounds like a good neighborhood. The way this ended at your house with you and your neighbors talking about the buck over some refreshments and deer salami is how the world should be.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This ended up as it should. Have had a couple of very similar experiences over the years.

Originally Posted by Calvin
Thanks for the update. I have been involved in one .243 100gr blue box circus/nightmare. Brought back some memories fore sure.

I have had bad experiences with this combo also. Except they were red boxes back in 79 and 80. After the second one, rifle traded in on a 270 Win and have never looked back.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I never saw the point of arguing over a wounded deer. I go out hunting, with no expectations of success...

I've given away several deer I've dropped and then had someone come up and claimed they shot it, and my shot just missed it...

wasn't worth arguing about.. I've seen other people have some idiot starting to raise their rifle barrel, when they start to argue over who took the deer down...

People who want a deer that bad, are just idiots.. its nice to see when people do the right thing... instead of just get greedy.

Dave in WV.... thanks for that story about your son High Brass... sorry I never met him... definitely a fine young man...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good job roundoak...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
WELL DONE.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 01Foreman400
I killed one during muzzleloader season that my buddy had shot in the neck 5 days earlier.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yep, I'm not a fan of neck shots

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin

Please elaborate, as I have just purchased a new BLR in .243 that I will be setting up for next year. Probably going to shoot Hornady 95gr SST's, but I'm interested in hearing your "blue box" experiences.

Good job, Oak.

N
N
Tricky situation, no doubt. If the deer would have died, I would likely say the first shot tags the deer, but if the shot isn't fatal, 2nd should tag it. Glad you sorted it out without argument.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

327 members (1lesfox, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 35 invisible), 1,796 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,326
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.