Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking about getting scuba certified because we can spearfish almost year round here and there are lots of places to go. What are the pros and cons of getting certified. Is it worth it? I would plan on getting my own gear and possibly compressor. Up until now I've just been free diving but now seriously considering taking the leap. Should I get the rest of the family certified while I'm at it? It's about 600 a piece for the certification and classes

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dunno your circumstances or needs in regards to prowling the depths. Back when I was a punk free diving to 60-70’ was the norm and a lot of fish got the shaft. Never speared anything with scuba, but found some gold and silver.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
You need it to fill tanks.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What do you plan on doing with your "certification"??? You don't need it to dive snorkel, or scuba. Teach???

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It will be fun go ahead and do it. If you travel you will be able to dive without any hassle.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
If you plan on diving 33 ft and beyond with any discernable bottom time on SCUBA, get certified and buy the best dive computer you can afford. I've had several friends experience mild decompression issues by failing to calculate their total saturation. This is especially easy if you are making multiple dives in a day and chasing fish up and down the depths.

You don't need a drivers license to drive a car, but you need one to be legal and better informed. It's only your life and safety.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you wanna scuba dive; get certified to do so. You''ll be a better, and safer diver. I dove a lot for about 10 years after getting certified in 1975 and it was a real neat experience getting into it with the experienced diving instructors who taught me a lot more than what was in the instruction book.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Never speared anything with scuba, but found some gold and silver.

You need to tell more of that story.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
What do you plan on doing with your "certification"??? You don't need it to dive snorkel, or scuba. Teach???

Your response is technically correct. However it offers zero benefit to the conversation or much relevance. Based on your overuse of question marks I assume it was intentional and you're salivating at the chance to flex your knowledge on the topic. However anything you might provide along the train of thought you started isn't information I'm seeking and am already well aware of.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can't think of any cons, you'll learn more than you know now.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I first got certified in 1971 …. Recertification in 2001…I’d recommend doing the whole family…. I can’t think of any cons but the pros are many….

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Get proper training and keep up with your training,fooling around untrained with SCUBA gear ,even at shallow depths ,is a recipe for disaster.
It is a fun hobby and will give you many years of enjoyment,WITH THE PROPER TRAINING !

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Never speared anything with scuba, but found some gold and silver.

You need to tell more of that story.

Short version: https://store.melfisher.com/collections/1715-fleet-gold

Found other stuff too. Flintlock pistols, table ware, sabers, teeth and bones. And a bunch of cannons.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
If you plan on diving 33 ft and beyond with any discernable bottom time on SCUBA, get certified and buy the best dive computer you can afford. I've had several friends experience mild decompression issues by failing to calculate their total saturation. This is especially easy if you are making multiple dives in a day and chasing fish up and down the depths.

You don't need a drivers license to drive a car, but you need one to be legal and better informed. It's only your life and safety.

Depth isn't much of a goal, staying down longer in 10-20' and hunting fish is. Thank you for the input, it's very helpful

Originally Posted by 22250rem
If you wanna scuba dive; get certified to do so. You''ll be a better, and safer diver. I dove a lot for about 10 years after getting certified in 1975 and it was a real neat experience getting into it with the experienced diving instructors who taught me a lot more than what was in the instruction book.

How much does one need to dive to justify buying a compressor vs paying to have tanks filled? I'm hoping to dive every weekend in the summer but half that or less is probably more likely. Curious on the expectation vs reality lol.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
You really can't get into trouble staying within that depth range. But you will find better results without the tank and bubbles when spear fishing or at least that was my experience when I was diving. Spear fishing around wrecks is probably better with SCUBA but otherwise your Mark I lungs is the way to go.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dive shops here in FL push the hell out of it. That's how they make their money. Sell the certification. Sell the gear.

Since I got certified with NAUI ~ 1985, I've never used it for much of anything, other than bragging and filling tanks.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
You really can't get into trouble staying within that depth range. But you will find better results without the tank and bubbles when spear fishing or at least that was my experience when I was diving. Spear fishing around wrecks is probably better with SCUBA but otherwise your Mark I lungs is the way to go.

Interesting, I've heard from several people that the bubbles attract fish often times, at least around here in the river reservoirs I'd be going. Primarily targeting walleye and northern Pike but taking the occasional smallmouth and catfish as opportunity allows. I do prefer to go with just my own lung capacity but it just isn't what it used to be and I often finding I wish I had an extra 15-20 seconds most dives. Now I just need to decide on gear....

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
That may be true. I have no fresh water experience beyond a few Florida spring dives.

After awhile all the gear and crap becomes a major PIA, so many folks resort back to free diving.

Last edited by STRSWilson; 12/15/21.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For frequent shallow diving, you might be better off with a floating compressor like this:

https://www.airbuddy.net/#/

I have not used one, but I could see where it would be easier to use than scuba tanks and there would be no trips to the dive shop for refills. You really don't want to mess with a high pressure compressor to fill your own tanks. The cost and maintenance is prohibitive.

From your location, I am guessing you would be diving in Lake Oahe. Is the water clear enough to make it feasible? My experiences in freshwater were pretty disappointing. Even lakes that looked clear had very poor visibility compared to diving in the ocean.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
After a quick look, the cheapest compressor I could find online that wasn’t going to take all day to fill an 80cf cyl was $3500-4000. 120-220v

https://www.alkinus.com/w31-mariner

Below are recent cost, not back in 1975 when I last dove.

We own two tanks.
In our area, A used tank 100-150 Depending on if it is in hydro. Hydro is $50 every five years,visual inspection yearly is $15. A tank fill is $7

In 10-20ft, a tank is going to last 90-120 min depending on how good of a diver you are and how much you move around. The viz in lake water is going to be terrible compared to the carribean. 10-15ft is on a good day unless you go below the thermocline. Even then it’s not going to be good.

There is no law that says you can’t buy gear and go diving. Knowledge is a good thing and there are things you need to know before you dive.

P.S. I am sitting at Houston Hobby waiting for my flight to Cozumel. Gonna do 10days of diving.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,705
Posts18,494,387
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.