Print Thread
Hop To
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I am talking about the Toric UHD 8x42 Schott HT. $600+ is a lot for binos, but I was at a football game on the upper level and realized how crummy my cheap Redfield binos are. I never have had a really expensive pair. I recently got a Tract scope and am much impressed, but the price for the binos is more than twice what I paid for the scope. Just like to hear what anyone who has the Toric thinks about it. I hear the 8x scope just let in a lot more light than the 10x.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if you're worried about the cost, best stay with your redfields.....

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Buy once, cry Once.
10 power for me is the best of both worlds. If I hunted thick timber, than 8 would be fine.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
My 10x42 Tracts are great and work this the money

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Look a few threads down. Several posts concerning Tract 8X42 binoculars.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by E Blair
... $600+ is a lot for binos, but I was at a football game on the upper level and realized how crummy my cheap Redfield binos are. I never have had a really expensive pair. I recently got a Tract scope and am much impressed, but the price for the binos is more than twice what I paid for the scope. .

Though I can't speak to those particular binos, I'd counsel that you tailor your budget to the intended use. If you're just using them at football games, a newer $150 Chinese pair may well be worlds ahead of your Redfields. Moreover, in that application, the $600 binocs may not be able to show you much, if anything, more than the cheaper pair. The same goes for glassing cornfields at 300 yards or less. Doug no doubt has a sack-full of recommendations for you.

It's when distances get longer, the territory gets bigger, the light gets dimmer, and the hunt get more expensive, that the better binocs really get a chance to shine. For instance, on a European alpine hunt, I didn't notice any difference between some top-end Bushnell's and a pair of true alphas. That is, not until I started glassing the next ridge past the drainage we were in: then it was a night-&-day difference.

For most of my hunting, though, I can get by just swimmingly with a set of Cabela's Alaskan Guide 8x32's (a private label offering of the Leupold BX-3 Mojave) that I picked up for $110. I've gotta spend quite a few hours glassing in some big country before I really start to want for more binoculars than those.

Just food for thought. Hope it doesn't give you indigestion. wink

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
... $600+ is a lot for binos, but I was at a football game on the upper level and realized how crummy my cheap Redfield binos are. I never have had a really expensive pair. I recently got a Tract scope and am much impressed, but the price for the binos is more than twice what I paid for the scope. .

Though I can't speak to those particular binos, I'd counsel that you tailor your budget to the intended use. If you're just using them at football games, a newer $150 Chinese pair may well be worlds ahead of your Redfields. Moreover, in that application, the $600 binocs may not be able to show you much, if anything, more than the cheaper pair. The same goes for glassing cornfields at 300 yards or less. Doug no doubt has a sack-full of recommendations for you.

It's when distances get longer, the territory gets bigger, the light gets dimmer, and the hunt get more expensive, that the better binocs really get a chance to shine. For instance, on a European alpine hunt, I didn't notice any difference between some top-end Bushnell's and a pair of true alphas. That is, not until I started glassing the next ridge past the drainage we were in: then it was a night-&-day difference.

For most of my hunting, though, I can get by just swimmingly with a set of Cabela's Alaskan Guide 8x32's (a private label offering of the Leupold BX-3 Mojave) that I picked up for $110. I've gotta spend quite a few hours glassing in some big country before I really start to want for more binoculars than those.

FC

This is a fantastic summary.
Well said!

ETA: Here’s a link to a recent discussion about these as well, for your reference.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-tried-the-tract-toric-8x42#Post16687512

Last edited by jkinpa; 12/10/21. Reason: Link added
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What scope did you buy that was more than twice as cheap as the bino? The 22 scope is the only one I see that fits that category on their website. I have the 10x42 set that is a real nice bino. My Leica and Swaro might be a bit better, but it is hard for me to tell. They also cost more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are worth the money.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
they are worth the money, they will last a long time and earn their keep! Money well spent!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the grand scheme of things $600 for binoculars is cheap when Leica and Swarovski cost four times that. Tract offers incredible value.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kingston
In the grand scheme of things $600 for binoculars is cheap when Leica and Swarovski cost four times that. Tract offers incredible value.

Especially if you hunt in woods.

For where I hunt, the difference between the Toric and Alpha glass is the definition of "diminished returns."

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by kingston

Especially if you hunt in woods.

For where I hunt, the difference between the Toric and Alpha glass is the definition of "diminished returns."

I like my Tract binoculars better than my Leica Ultravids

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

FC

Ho-lee-chit, where you been FC?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Ho-lee-chit, where you been FC?

Mostly on a Harley, not so much at the range in '21. Planning some '22 hunts, though.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I see lots of lower class people walking out of convenience stores with their daily purchase of several dollars. Most people can find $600 of waste in their budget. An extra $300 isn't much to pay to not be annoyed. Binos have to be at least as good as the scope.

I look at it as not having a misadventure with the inadequate item amounts to a discount on the adequate item. You also have to consider that as prices of Chinese optics go up, all prices go up.

Haven't tried Tract because I crossed them off the list due to a need for more eye relief. Most people wouldn't have that requirement.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
E
E Blair Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I got my Toric binos yesterday and just tried them out before going to work... Wow! Really fantastic just using them in the backyard. I have a deer hunt in January and those will help to glass the bucks.

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I got my Toric binos yesterday and just tried them out before going to work... Wow! Really fantastic just using them in the backyard. I have a deer hunt in January and those will help to glass the bucks.

We told you!

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,356
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.