Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Use the rifle.

I’d rather shoot a .243 than slugs for brown/grizzly.

Way back when klikitarik was still posting, he related how a medium brownie was trying to enter his cabin uninvited. He put a Brenneke snug into him. Shortly afterward he had to shoot it with a rifle.

Postmortem showed a shallow nonfatal wound from the slug. That’s not theory, guessing, nor internet gossip.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
That’s not theory, guessing, nor internet gossip.

It is not. It is a single anecdote.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’d rather shoot a .243 than slugs for brown/grizzly.

Way back when klikitarik was still posting, he related how a medium brownie was trying to enter his cabin uninvited. He put a Brenneke snug into him. Shortly afterward he had to shoot it with a rifle.

Postmortem showed a shallow nonfatal wound from the slug. That’s not theory, guessing, nor internet gossip.

Funnier one was the modest-size black bear in Seward "slugged" by a cop. Spectators gathered and one of them caught a ricocheted slug on his sternum after it over-penetrated.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Yet not novel or unique...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
I'll take the rifle every time.

Every. Phoucking. Time.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I kind of remember that. Didn’t the slug bounce off a vehicle in the middle of its flight?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I seldom approve anything the govt does, but some years back, 20 yrs or so, the USFS commisioned a study on the subject for the Tongass Natl Forest. One of the contending cartridges was a .375 by the way, but they chose the 12ga after the study results. Don't recall the ammo used. So 12 ga is what they got for employees. Now I hear they have gone to bear spray.

Where did you read that?
That report has been around for years

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Yet not novel or unique...

Link?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I seldom approve anything the govt does, but some years back, 20 yrs or so, the USFS commisioned a study on the subject for the Tongass Natl Forest. One of the contending cartridges was a .375 by the way, but they chose the 12ga after the study results. Don't recall the ammo used. So 12 ga is what they got for employees. Now I hear they have gone to bear spray.

Where did you read that?

I think it eventually showed up in one of the outdoor magazines, reprinted and condensed. One of the main factors evaluated was people with little experience had to have a gun that was easy to use in a stressful situation. I had left AK years before and wasn't really interested, but a friend worked for the FS at Petersburg and said they (not him, he was a mechanic) were issued Mossberg pumps, eventually. Maybe someone with computer skills can find it if interested.

I know an engineer that worked that park and the first rifle he had to qualify with was a .375 H&H.

He wasn't there 20 years ago...

But I have no doubt they hand out Mossbergs to those that can't work a bolt gun. Better than your dick I suppose.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Fishnnut1
Guide once told me that in grizz country he carried 00 buck as his first round to the head or face to slow the bear down then slugs after to hit vitals. Brenneke slugs if I remember correctly.

Anybody that believes that has not actually had to do it.

Probably right , just repeating what I was told. I’m going all out slug if I ever come across that situation.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Found the study.....Meehan and Thelenius, 1983.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ive never even considered a shotgun.

Nor would I consider partitions. I'd use, and use a rifle, with a bullet that will hold together better.

This from years of guiding and shooting and seeing results.

Partitions can be fine for none wounded, though I still have seen less than good results on moose from large partitions.

Rifle. Period.

I've plenty shotguns. Even 10. But never consider them.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We’re heading outside the park to hunt bears this spring in Montana. My 15 y/o son will be carrying my bolt 30-06 for the blackies but I will more than likely carry the pump with 30-06 for anything close including the very very unlikely situation Of needing it for defense. Because my son and I will not be separated one rifle for hunting would probably work and I don’t want him walking around with one in the chamber anyway.
Some would say pistol but I honestly never carry a pistol and therefore suck at shooting them. Shotgun on the other hand is an extension of my arm. The 870 and the 7600 are damn near identical when coming to the shoulder. I’m even going old school Pennsylvania and have see through mounts on the 7600.

Believe me when I say this, I think this is mostly an academic conversation as the odds of my son and I being involved in an actual bear attack are statistically highly improbable. That being said it happens every year and might as well be ready just in case.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
We’re heading outside the park to hunt bears this spring in Montana. My 15 y/o son will be carrying my bolt 30-06 for the blackies but I will more than likely carry the pump with 30-06 for anything close including the very very unlikely situation Of needing it for defense. Because my son and I will not be separated one rifle for hunting would probably work and I don’t want him walking around with one in the chamber anyway.
Some would say pistol but I honestly never carry a pistol and therefore suck at shooting them. Shotgun on the other hand is an extension of my arm. The 870 and the 7600 are damn near identical when coming to the shoulder. I’m even going old school Pennsylvania and have see through mounts on the 7600.

Believe me when I say this, I think this is mostly an academic conversation as the odds of my son and I being involved in an actual bear attack are statistically highly improbable. That being said it happens every year and might as well be ready just in case.

Outside which park?

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Where did you read that?

I think it eventually showed up in one of the outdoor magazines, reprinted and condensed. One of the main factors evaluated was people with little experience had to have a gun that was easy to use in a stressful situation. I had left AK years before and wasn't really interested, but a friend worked for the FS at Petersburg and said they (not him, he was a mechanic) were issued Mossberg pumps, eventually. Maybe someone with computer skills can find it if interested.

https://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152.pdf

Rifles for the win. The recommendations took into account that many newer staff did not have sufficient experience with rifles.

Last edited by sierraHunter; 12/16/21.
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I also know a timber cruiser who has dispatched 2 charging Black Bears with a 44 magnum handgun......they were/are permitted to carry for their job.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Osky
I alternate up here when tracking wounded bears. These are black bears however.
#2 or basic buckshot is the largest for that load. I do not intend for my shot load to kill but to blind, they are the first round fired. The slugs are for the kill.

Osky

Phuu.ck that logic.

No way would I count on 1 shot to blind both eyes. All that's going to do is piss the bear off more.

Why not simplify and kill with the first shot.

I guess if you want to add a little excitement to the scenario have at it.

I really like what the video shows. It was not CNS shot but that slug slowed down that bear enough so buy him more time. He should have continued to dump lead into it but that’s easy for me to say armchair quarterbacking the situation.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain

Outside which park?

Yellowstone

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Based upon my limited experience;

TerryK hits the nail on the head with his comments at the end of his post, to paraphrase him and my apologies if I misunderstood his comments, state of mind and readiness to act trump gear

Sitka Deer; my personal experience concurs with your statement about moose, I have had more potentially dangerous issues with moose than with bears; grizzly and black.

The most important issue for dealing with risky wildlife issues is using a tool you are very comfortable and familiar with and whatever the tool is it is carried IN YOUR HANDS, not slung over your shoulder or stuck in your pack. It needs to be ready to deployed immediately in the extremely rare case you will need it.

Having shot a bunch of deer with slugs, the .50 calibre 1 ounce sabot slugs type, I would prefer the rifle in situation o significant need. I like the way Skane staled his opinion.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by sierraHunter

Where did you read that?

https://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152.pdf

Rifles for the win. The recommendations took into account that many newer staff did not have sufficient experience with rifles.

That looks like a fun read actually.

Thanks for finding it.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (35, AnthonyB, bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, beefan, 9 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,234
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.