Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Originally Posted by SKane
For whitetail, I never hang my deer. I get it stripped down and in the refrigerator and package it the next day and into the freezer. Hanging it doesn't just make it more tender, it dries the meat and concentrates the flavor. This is just my experience with eating venison over the last 30 plus years but in my opinion venison that has been hung and aged tends to be more "gamey".

Different strokes, I guess. But this is exactly what I avoid at all costs (for deer).

What are you trying to avoid at all costs? Not trying to get into an argument. I think people should be civil on this forum. There is another forum for insults. Unfortunately, it has bled into this one. I am just curious. Are you saying you avoid butchering deer right away at all costs or are you saying you try to avoid the gameyness at all costs? When you eat and compared the 2, what is it about the deer that you hung that you found preferable to the one that was not hung? Do you think the flavor is better or is it strictly the tenderness of the meat? What about diet? Where I hunt, the primary forage during hunting season is acorns. We do have some agriculture in the area. Primarily corn and soybeans. I don't know this for a fact but I have heard that deer that feed on sage can have a bad flavor. Is this true? If it is true, I would think concentrating the flavor would be the last thing you wanted to do.

I should have clarified - and I should also caveat that our temps during hunting season are generally cooler than much further south.
When feasible, I like the hide to stay on for a day or two - drainage etc happens and the hide keeps the meat from drying out.

The only gamey venison I've eaten was stuff that went from field to freezer almost immediately.

Like I said, different strokes. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For whitetail, I never hang my deer. I get it stripped down and in the refrigerator and package it the next day and into the freezer. Hanging it doesn't just make it more tender, it dries the meat and concentrates the flavor. This is just my experience with eating venison over the last 30 plus years but in my opinion venison that has been hung and aged tends to be more "gamey".

Different strokes, I guess. But this is exactly what I avoid at all costs (for deer).

What are you trying to avoid at all costs? Not trying to get into an argument. I think people should be civil on this forum. There is another forum for insults. Unfortunately, it has bled into this one. I am just curious. Are you saying you avoid butchering deer right away at all costs or are you saying you try to avoid the gameyness at all costs? When you eat and compared the 2, what is it about the deer that you hung that you found preferable to the one that was not hung? Do you think the flavor is better or is it strictly the tenderness of the meat? What about diet? Where I hunt, the primary forage during hunting season is acorns. We do have some agriculture in the area. Primarily corn and soybeans. I don't know this for a fact but I have heard that deer that feed on sage can have a bad flavor. Is this true? If it is true, I would think concentrating the flavor would be the last thing you wanted to do.

I should have clarified - and I should also caveat that our temps during hunting season are generally cooler than much further south.
When feasible, I like the hide to stay on for a day or two - drainage etc happens and the hide keeps the meat from drying out.

The only gamey venison I've eaten was stuff that went from field to freezer almost immediately.

Like I said, different strokes. smile

Thats interesting. I have never eaten venison that went from field to freezer almost immediately that had any gameyness at all. I eat it around 3 times a week. I also debone and clean up the meat completely of silver skin.
I wonder if it has to do with diet. Like I mentioned, I have heard some of those western deer eat allot of sage and the meat sometimes isn't all that great.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a walk in cooler. 10’ x 6’. I hang deer with the hide on a minimum of 2 weeks and prefer 3 weeks. Without the hide 5-6 days 8 being the max because of drying exterior layer becomes wasteful. Flavor and tenderness really show up on a 21 day aged animal. My target temp is 38 degrees. 18 kw AC unit running off a cool bots controller. Rail and trolley system with an electric hoist outside the door on a track system and floor anchor for skinning leave no back work involved. My cooler is my pride and joy come fall. It also gives me time to butcher when it works for me.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by 2500HD
I have a walk in cooler. 10’ x 6’. I hang deer with the hide on a minimum of 2 weeks and prefer 3 weeks. Without the hide 5-6 days 8 being the max because of drying exterior layer becomes wasteful. Flavor and tenderness really show up on a 21 day aged animal. My target temp is 38 degrees. 18 kw AC unit running off a cool bots controller. Rail and trolley system with an electric hoist outside the door on a track system and floor anchor for skinning leave no back work involved. My cooler is my pride and joy come fall. It also gives me time to butcher when it works for me.

That sounds great. I'm very close to doing likewise

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
Originally Posted by 2500HD

That sounds great. I'm very close to doing likewise

if i was younger i would or should have put up a smaller building with one window , insulate and used a small air conditioner in the window to cool and keep my quarters of meat hung and cool while it ages . now when i look back that`s the way i should done my wild game , so if your young think about that ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I usually butcher my deer and moose within a day or two, I don't make a habit of hanging them for any length of time and gaven't for over 35 years.
I have never had a complaint about tough or gamey meat either.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
I've eaten grilled venison that was was only a few hours post-kill and it was the worst I've ever had. (Fat doe, butchered in the backyard).

I age all mine on ice for 4-8 days, draining water frequently. A lot of my ice is in the form of frozen gallon jugs, which serve to keep the meat very cold, but not always sitting in water. I'd love to have a hanging cooler setup, but a few large marine-style coolers and a bunch of frozen jugs has worked for my last 20 years or so. I also pull the cooler up to the skinning shed and begin filling it full of cold water while I start skinning. By the time I'm cutting off quarters/straps, the cooler is nearly full and I'm tossing the meat in the cold water to bring the temperature down. After it's all done, I drain off the water and this also helps remove stray hairs. Then I ice the meat.

I have only eaten the heart the same day. It wasn't bad. Meat that was not hung pulled out of the freezer and cooked on the grill has always been fantastic. What was it that was so horrible about it? Didi it have a strong flavor of some kind? Which cut was it?

Its interesting that you soak the meat which is also considered a major no no in some circles. You are pulling blood out of the meat, not just the coagulated blood around the wound. It can pull out some of those flavors that hanging concentrates. You might find the meat disappointing if you get a walk in and you hang it without soaking it. I don't think it will taste the same but I could be wrong.

Yeah, it was a backstrap we grilled right after cleaning the deer. It was extremely gamey tasting, just terrible. Prior to that, we had the game processor hang our deer for a week or 10 days and then we'd go pick them up. Now I just use the coolers. I do get a fair bit of blood out when I drain the water off each day or two. If I have the time, I do my butchering one night and my grinding/packaging the next night. The meat stays in big washtubs, back in the cooler overnight. A lot more blood settles out then, due to the fact that the meat has been deboned and partly trimmed.

Now with even more aplomb
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Deer I usually hang skinned for a few days, depending on whether its cool enough. Antelope are usually shot in warmer weather and and cooled in a ice filled cooler and cut up as soon as they seem to relax from rigor. Not scientific but works.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've eaten grilled venison that was was only a few hours post-kill and it was the worst I've ever had. (Fat doe, butchered in the backyard).

I age all mine on ice for 4-8 days, draining water frequently. A lot of my ice is in the form of frozen gallon jugs, which serve to keep the meat very cold, but not always sitting in water. I'd love to have a hanging cooler setup, but a few large marine-style coolers and a bunch of frozen jugs has worked for my last 20 years or so. I also pull the cooler up to the skinning shed and begin filling it full of cold water while I start skinning. By the time I'm cutting off quarters/straps, the cooler is nearly full and I'm tossing the meat in the cold water to bring the temperature down. After it's all done, I drain off the water and this also helps remove stray hairs. Then I ice the meat.

This is how I first aged a deer by accident. Year was 1997. I shot a very nice whitetail buck while out elk hunting. I finished my morning elk hunt and went back to the buck. I got it skinned and broken down. This was before I had a dedicated refrigerator for aging.

Everything went into coolers on ice. I did not have time to process the deer, as I was still elk hunting with a very hard to draw tag. Drained and added ice for 9 days. I finally got my bull and processed the deer. Simply the best deer we had ever had up to that point. We became serious believers in aging and been on a learning curve ever since.

I also take the tenderloins from every deer I shoot and soak them in saltwater in the refrigerator for a week, changing water daily. They are some the best venison I have ever eaten. Mild, but flavorful and can cut them with a fork. If I cut them into bite sized tips before cooking, they melt in the mouth. Absolutely fantastic.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CRS

This is how I first aged a deer by accident. Year was 1997. I shot a very nice whitetail buck while out elk hunting. I finished my morning elk hunt and went back to the buck. I got it skinned and broken down. This was before I had a dedicated refrigerator for aging.

Everything went into coolers on ice. I did not have time to process the deer, as I was still elk hunting with a very hard to draw tag. Drained and added ice for 9 days. I finally got my bull and processed the deer. Simply the best deer we had ever had up to that point. We became serious believers in aging and been on a learning curve ever since.

I also take the tenderloins from every deer I shoot and soak them in saltwater in the refrigerator for a week, changing water daily. They are some the best venison I have ever eaten. Mild, but flavorful and can cut them with a fork. If I cut them into bite sized tips before cooking, they melt in the mouth. Absolutely fantastic.

We kind of figured it out by accident too, bringing back venison in a big marine cooler from a Texas hunt back in the 90's.

I sometimes will cut up meat one night and them grind/package the next night. I put the cuts in plastic tubs, top them off with cold water, and then put them back in the coolers overnight. The ice in coolers serves to keep everything cold (a spare fridge works too). When I get ready to grind and vac-seal meat, I drain off the ruby red water. This gets out a lot more blood.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,999 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,431
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.