Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Idmay375,
I agree with you about the versatilty of the 338 bore.

Back before the shortages, I bought a big pile of 225 grain fusions. At $18 a box, these bonded, thick jacketed sleepers were cheaper or as cheap as cup/cores from Sierra, Hornady and Speer.

The price was so reasonable, I sent a bunch of them out the barrel to get aquanted with the little 338 RCM rifle. Mostly 300 and 400 yd targets with winds. They bucked the winds very well, and the same bullets are my primary load for winter caribou. Shoulder was good for 50 rounds a session.

At 500 yds, I did miss the target once or twice per 5 rounds.
Combo of only using a 2.5x fx-ll ultralight scope with course crosshairs, light gun with short barrel, gusts of wind that I didn't judge properly.

The open sights are sighted to the 275 grain A-frames.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Did you have any pressure spikes due to jacket stickyness in the bore ? I got some for my Win mag but was nervous due to the data warning that came in the box.
I tumbled them in hbn and didn't notice any problems. But I didn't stand on the throttle as to powder charge either.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Frank sure did have some flamboyant, wounded bear stories. Wounded bear comes charging him and his dogs, he shoots it again. Bear runs off, he catches up, shoots it again.

Somewhere in that book, he claimed to have settled on a 30-06 220 grain for bears.

Never understood his expirement to own wolf/Malamute hybrids. Hundreds of generations of breeding to have kind, rugged dogs. I'd never stray from that lineage, devolving back to wolves. One of those dogs just about killed a man. I guess it wasn't a dog that day.

I found an old trapper cabin up the headwaters of Richardson Clearwater that is still maintained. It is carved on the door: HANS SEPPALA 1940. He lived up Banner Creek and had Siberian huskies. When Frank Glasser was outta dogs, he would hire Hans

Mainer, I always enjoy your stories, experience and all around knowledge. I really look forward to reading your stuff and I seek out your interesting posts usually with great pictures. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with us. I enjoy this forum because of guys like you, 2L2Q, Las, SitkaDeer and many other sourdoughs here. šŸ‘

I recall Frank Glaser thought that the .220 Swift was his favorite sheep rifle and if I recall correctly thatā€™s what he used for his meat rifle. And if memory serves he got caught in that box canyon with his dogs and accidentally loaded milsurp 147gr FMJā€™s in his ā€˜06 which made a big impression on him regarding their effectiveness for bear medicine.

Iā€™ll have to dig my old copy out. Iā€™ve read it a lot over the years but itā€™s been awhile. I read it twice while being stuck in my teepee because of weather up by Iceberg Lake in the Kenaiā€™s one September. I donā€™t think I could get tired of that book but another day or two and Iā€™d probably be wishing Iā€™d have left food behind for a second book. šŸ˜

ļæ½Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.ļæ½ ļæ½General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
R
R
The stainless classic m70 is the way to go. Though, getting harder to find... for a good price.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I reckon the Ruger 77 MkII's in stainless would do the job too.

Carry what youā€™re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
who's this Hans Seppala guy?

i know my all the Seppala's i know come from Oulu area

IC B2

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

118 members (160user, 35, 44mc, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 9 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,420
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.