Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Leconte by way of alum cave bluffs trail is 11ish miles. It will eat up all fugging day and you honeymooners will be sored and too wrecked to make sexy time.

I done dat. Booked one of the little cabins and stayed for the night.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA
Leconte by way of alum cave bluffs trail is 11ish miles. It will eat up all fugging day and you honeymooners will be sored and too wrecked to make sexy time.

And by the time you get back to your car and try to go get something to eat... all the pussified lardasses that have been riding go carts and will be lined up get grub and causing 1 hour waits for a table. The same pos fuggs that probably already have two meals and a dozen hot glazed krispy kremes in their guts

Take your hikes slow, Go to Cades Cove, drive around, do some short 1 miles bee bops around the mills, the creeks, the farmsteds.

I remember we ended up at Bubba Gumps after that hike. That wouldn't have been my first, second or fifth choice. If they are honeymooners though, when else would you want to do a hike like that?

Wife and I have done Leconte about 5 times, stayed at the lodge a couple times. She has hiked it by herself a couple more times.

It’s only a 4 hour drive for us an we used to go 1/2 dozen times a year. For several years. Since high school.

But we are hikers. We have done countless trails, her more so. All the good ones at least.

Hard for me to do in the last 5 years, prednisone, roofing AND all that hiking has smoked my knees.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gatlinburg is overrun with Moonshine and Wine tasting places now. I don't really mind but I think it does take away from the family friendly environment. They used to have a store dedicated to Mayberry with a mix of John Deere stuff. Seems like its changed a bit. Also, last time I was there I noticed how "diverse" it has become. I blame Bubba Wallace .... Police were telling people to turn down their car stereos on the strip, which for me , was a first to see. Glad they were though since I'm in the get off my lawn stage of my life.

I do admit to buying a healthy supply of blackberry moonshine while I was there.

I love going though. We've kicked around the idea of buying a cabin there and renting it out when we aren't there because we go usually twice a year. Never followed thru , I was scared of the headache of renting. Been going there regularly for 20 years now.

Last edited by KFWA; 12/17/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by CashisKing
We started "Highpointing" with the boys years ago...

Always a cool adventure... or "outdoor vacation with a reason to go to random places"... you will find lots of obscure little towns, shops and restaurants along the way.

https://highpointers.org/us-highpoint-guide/

Many Highpoints (Delaware, Florida et al)... are nothing but a picture and then grab an ice cream cone... but many are fantastic... really amazing... and some will kill you if you aren't dialed in... Wyoming, AK etc.

TN, NC, VA, WV is a great place to start the hobby...

Keep a photo album... I have one somewhere...

Good luck and enjoy the time away.

Thanks for the tip! I didn’t know what we were doing had a specific name. For the drive there I’m putting together a route that will be scenic and off the interstate as much as possible. We are taking two days each way so give or take 8 hours a day in the truck.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JeffA

It was a complete mofo getting reservations.

Like the opening phones of the new york stock exchange. One little old lady doing all the bookings.

I had to get family and friends all calling at once at 9am to cock block some other callers

I swear to god it was like trying to call a radio station when are giving away a 1000$ or fuggin Kid Rock tickets

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Mrs slumlord was not happy with the food. Said we got better chow in school lunchroom.

Just drink your Reisling and stfu

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Wear a body condom if you go to smoky mtn knife works

It’s like an MTV Spring Break gathering but for old, fat, piss smelling dullards shuffeling and stumbling around in there shoulder to shoulder

The basement has all the good kitchen cutlery and nifty kitchen/canning gadgets of all sorts

Hit up the Lodge cast iron cookware outlet across the parking lot

No chit!!!!!

They have expanded the gun section[moved it to the lower level].
Pretty good selection from what I could tell a couple weeks back[it was a struggle getting close to counters].
I noticed 3 different wimmens all buying LCP type guns with the help of their husbands. Sign of the times.

FJB & FJT
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
In which bar in Gatlinburg did "Sue" fight his dad?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

And by the time you get back to your car and try to go get something to eat... all the pussified lardasses that have been riding go carts and will be lined up get grub and causing 1 hour waits for a table. The same pos fuggs that probably already have two meals and a dozen hot glazed krispy kremes in their guts

Take your hikes slow, Go to Cades Cove, drive around, do some short 1 miles bee bops around the mills, the creeks, the farmsteds.

I remember we ended up at Bubba Gumps after that hike. That wouldn't have been my first, second or fifth choice. If they are honeymooners though, when else would you want to do a hike like that?

Wife and I have done Leconte about 5 times, stayed at the lodge a couple times. She has hiked it by herself a couple more times.

It’s only a 4 hour drive for us an we used to go 1/2 dozen times a year. For several years. Since high school.

But we are hikers. We have done countless trails, her more so. All the good ones at least.

Hard for me to do in the last 5 years, prednisone, roofing AND all that hiking has smoked my knees.

over the years I've got to the point where if I rent a cabin I try to stay off of 321 east of Gatlinburg so I can get to the food city to stock up.The "artist" community area. That seems to provide the most flexibility to me. I can come in from Cosby, or coming in I can take Kings Branch/Glades and if I want to go into the park I can go 321, and then get on River Road, which is still slow but much faster than the main strip.

Last time we went, Waze routed us a new way in - we went thru downtown Knoxville and I guess took 321, it wasn't called 321, I don't remember the name, most of the way along with some small 2 lane roads to pop out where you turn to go to Wears Valley. I had never done that before and I'm not sure it was much of a time saver but it was nice to come out below Sevierville.

Last edited by KFWA; 12/17/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Like the opening phones of the new york stock exchange. One little old lady doing all the bookings.

I had to get family and friends all calling at once at 9am to cock block some other callers

I swear to god it was like trying to call a radio station when are giving away a 1000$ or fuggin Kid Rock tickets

I stayed in the hikers bear cage a few times when I couldn't get a cabin.
Place is polluted with black bears, gotta kick them outta the way to go out and take a leak.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

over the years I've got to the point where if I rent a cabin I try to stay off of 321 east of Gatlinburg so I can get to the food city to stock up.The "artist" community area. That seems to provide the most flexibility to me. I can come in from Cosby, or coming in I can take Kings Branch/Glades and if I want to go into the park I can go 321, and then get on River Road, which is still slow but much faster than the main strip.

Last time we went, Waze routed us a new way in - we went thru downtown Knoxville and I guess took 321, it wasn't called 321, I don't remember the name, most of the way along with some small 2 lane roads to pop out where you turn to go to Wears Valley. I had never done that before and I'm not sure it was much of a time saver but it was nice to come out below Sevierville.

321 side yes

We do exactly the same

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by miguel

Always a cool adventure... or "outdoor vacation with a reason to go to random places"... you will find lots of obscure little towns, shops and restaurants along the way.

Many Highpoints (Delaware, Florida et al)... are nothing but a picture and then grab an ice cream cone... but many are fantastic... really amazing... and some will kill you if you aren't dialed in... Wyoming, AK etc.

Thanks for the tip! I didn’t know what we were doing had a specific name. For the drive there I’m putting together a route that will be scenic and off the interstate as much as possible. We are taking two days each way so give or take 8 hours a day in the truck.

Feel free to drop me a PM or email or phone call if you need any pointers...

Goofy family stuff is always a blast...

Did the midwest trip about 7-8 years ago... 6 or 7 Highpoints over 2 weeks...

Homemade moccasins for the boys, Stormy Kramer, even Rocky Mountain oysters for unsuspecting children...

Goofy is GOOD!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Place is polluted with black bears, gotta kick them outta the way to go out and take a leak.

I tried to sleep in double springs gap shelter. With chainlink

People pissin so much in the corner it wreaked. I packed up my stuff and hiked to a capsite halfway down prong trail towards elkmont. In the morning i seen a sign at my campsite ssid it was closed due to heavy bear activity. Lol
No wonder i was the only one there. Lol

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Go to Cades Cove, drive around,

By all means do this. Wildlife is a guarantee. If you’re lucky you’ll get to see some touristos trying to commit suicide by bear, or perhaps even trying to sacrifice their children to the Great Bear God. Great Bear God smile big when tourist bring camera and sacrifice.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by miguel

Feel free to drop me a PM or email or phone call if you need any pointers...

Goofy family stuff is always a blast...

Did the midwest trip about 7-8 years ago... 6 or 7 Highpoints over 2 weeks...

Homemade moccasins for the boys, Stormy Kramer, even Rocky Mountain oysters for unsuspecting children...

Goofy is GOOD!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dayum they got babe and paul out by Geno’s place in the Modoc

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd like to see the Smokies!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I tried to sleep in double springs gap shelter. With chainlink

People pissin so much in the corner it wreaked. I packed up my stuff and hiked to a capsite halfway down prong trail towards elkmont. In the morning i seen a sign at my campsite ssid it was closed due to heavy bear activity. Lol
No wonder i was the only one there. Lol

Ever stay at the Wonderland Hotel in Elkmount?
Sat on the porch a few times.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by shootem

By all means do this. Wildlife is a guarantee. If you’re lucky you’ll get to see some touristos trying to commit suicide by bear, or perhaps even trying to sacrifice their children to the Great Bear God. Great Bear God smile big when tourist bring camera and sacrifice.

We've given up on CC.
Might give it a try in mid January......on a Tuesday.
If we want to see wildlife we head over to Cataloochie or even Cherokee for elk.

FJB & FJT
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by dsink
Smokey Mountain Knife Works is worth stopping in and looking around. Buds Gun Shop has a store across the road from SMKW but I haven't been in it yet. We are heading up that way ourselves next month for the first time in probably 20 years.

Smokey Mountain Knife Works is now a pretty fair gun shop, and their prices for new guns are decent. When ammo was widely available, they had plenty of it at good, sometimes low, prices. They are a major Sig Sauer retailer.

They've really eclipsed Bud's across the street as a gun store, IMO, but Bud's has an indoor gun range and rentals.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by shootem

By all means do this. Wildlife is a guarantee.

I would say that wildlife at the Cades Cove Circular Parking Lot is common, but not guaranteed.

If there's a bear and cubs near the road, you'll only see them if you're at the front of the line of vehicles that has come to a complete halt. If you're back aways, around a curve, you're going to be sitting for a while, wondering, and, depending on your personality, maybe seething inwardly with rage.

Last edited by tjm10025; 12/17/21.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,664 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,944
Posts18,498,934
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.