Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
What they called at the time, the New Model Army Revolver (Only later collectors started calling it the Model 1858 Army, based on the patent date that appears on the original revolvers, but that had to do only with the loading lever design). This one is made by Uberti of Italy.

Pietta makes a Sheriff's Model, too. The advantage to the Uberti is slightly superior fit and finish, and Pietta marks up the exposed exterior surfaces of their guns with their name and warnings about "Black Powder Only," and the like. Uberti hides that stuff under the loading lever for better esthetics.

Anyway, the "Sheriff's Model" is just a 5.5" barrel version of the Remington New Model Army Revolver of Civil War fame. I just took delivery on it from Midway USA a couple of days ago. It was originally imported into the US by Taylor's & Company, then to Midway. Remington never produced a "Sheriff's Model," but likely gunsmiths around the country, here and there, occasionally shortened the barrels for customers to make them handier back in the day.

[Linked Image]

I really like it. It feels great in the hand. Fit and finish is fantastic. Function was 100% during the 48 rounds I fired today. Not a single cap jam of any variety, or failure of any kind.

Wanting to get rid of some 20 years old Triple Seven black powder substitute (still factory sealed in the original container), I used that today (30 grain charges per chamber), along with .454 pure lead balls and CCI No. 11 percussion caps. For lube I used my own blend of lamb's tallow, beeswax, and olive oil. Ignition was sometimes a hair slow (a split second gap between setting off a cap and the main charge detonating), which I attribute to the Triple Seven being 20 years old.

In case you're new to this, the standard procedure is to smear lube over top each fully loaded chamber before capping and firing, which serves the same function that lube serves in standard cartridges, but also serves to prevent chain firing. It also serves to keep things running smoothly because that lube has a way of spreading around, inside and out, when fired.

Here's a 10 yard, six shot, group, fired standing off hand. POA was the orange bullseye. As you can see, the sights came from the factory pretty nicely regulated.

[Linked Image]

PS Invariably, if there is anyone else at the range when I'm shooting cap and ball revolvers, I get a lot of interest from them about what I'm shooting, which usually results in a long conversation about cap and ball revolvers, and an interest on their part about getting involved in it. I usually give tutorials when that happens.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did it go off by itself at any point during your range session? Can I forward this to Alec Baldwin??

laugh

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I have the Pietta, too, but it's the full 7.5" barrel version. I've had it for must be 25 years or more. It's a great shooter, too.

I think the Remington design was probably slightly superior to that of the Colt percussion revolvers. But many people prefer the looks of the Colts.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Good shooting hawkeye, I always enjoy your revolver posts.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good shootin' Hawk. Appreciate your posts.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Appreciate your comments comparing the Uberti to the Pietta. I always thought Pietta was slightly superior finished but your comments indicate otherwise. Good to know given a choice.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 45_100
Appreciate your comments comparing the Uberti to the Pietta. I always thought Pietta was slightly superior finished but your comments indicate otherwise. Good to know given a choice.

I truthfully cannot tell the difference as between the two shown above, in terms of fit and finish, but the reputation is that Uberti is superior on that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That's some good stuff right there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got an 1858 clone I bought from Dixie Gun Works in Union City Tennessee way back when Turner Kirkland was still alive. I shot it quite a bit until my 10 year old grandson decided it would be fun to dry fire it- - - - -repeatedly! The nipples got ruined and the hammer face got battered badly enough that it wouldn't fit through the slot in the frame.

We had a long talk about respecting other people's property and never, ever handling a firearm of any kind without permission and adult supervision. No yelling, no violence, just some very serious talk. I guess the lesson took- - - -he's a 25 year old Marine veteran now with a brand new little girl to raise and I've never known him to abuse a firearm since then.

Gotta get around to fixing that old smoke maker one of these days!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have the same pistol, the Uberti Sheriff's model. Love it what a great pistol.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I sold some ammo on Gunbroker recently at a great price (for me) and the money is burning a hole in my pocket. You may have just helped me spend it...

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Never mind, they seem to be out-of-stock everywhere!

Presidents come and go, but entitlements are forever - Michael Medved

Our forefathers would be shooting by now
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I like the things as well. I have a Lyman stainless & a blue & brass whatever., both Piettas I think.

My first experience was chain firing, 3 chambers letting go at once. Smeared Crisco over the loaded ball next with same results. Bought ball grease, same exhilarating chain fire. A bud in the know suggested I drop 5-10 grains off my 3F load. That helped.

Oxyoke wonder wads made it all better.

A lot of fun to shoot, & the sheriff model is my fave. Good find.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got prolly 5-6 of the "kits" you finished yourself here. I think I only did 3. Hell its been maybe 30 yrs since me and my dad got em. First one I did looked like schit lol. But a lot of fun to shoot. Actually I should look for em, theyre in a box here somewhere im sure.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 444afic
Never mind, they seem to be out-of-stock everywhere!

The times we're living in.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've actually got the real deal a real Colt all matching serial numbers on the parts you very my nerve issues even the bullet mold it came with when sold new. Stamped right on the barrel for parts and repair contact Colonel Sam Colt New York New York USA

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've been looking at the Pietta, I just might have to do it.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I've got an 1858 clone I bought from Dixie Gun Works in Union City Tennessee way back when Turner Kirkland was still alive. I shot it quite a bit until my 10 year old grandson decided it would be fun to dry fire it- - - - -repeatedly! The nipples got ruined and the hammer face got battered badly enough that it wouldn't fit through the slot in the frame.

We had a long talk about respecting other people's property and never, ever handling a firearm of any kind without permission and adult supervision. No yelling, no violence, just some very serious talk. I guess the lesson took- - - -he's a 25 year old Marine veteran now with a brand new little girl to raise and I've never known him to abuse a firearm since then.

Gotta get around to fixing that old smoke maker one of these days!

Just needs a new set of nipples and a new hammer. Easy peasy.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I have the same pistol, the Uberti Sheriff's model. Love it what a great pistol.

They are pretty cool.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Good looking lines on that model 1858.

You have to watch the soft metal on a Pietta.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 62 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,490
Posts18,471,914
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.