-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got my fair share of 99's here but not one of them is an EG, just never cared for them.

The one I did have (a pre-mil EG in 308) went to Lawman a couple years ago and I haven't bought another since.

Bert has a point though, I have always been searching for the elusive EG in 22 H.P. but I'm fairly certain I'llnever find one. If I remember right Jeff used to own one though. I did grab up an R in 358 in the spring that I'm dieing to take to the range still. The R's are alot more harder to find than the EG's in the pre-mil win calibers.

Last edited by mad_dog; 09/13/07.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mad_dog
I've got my fair share of 99's here but not one of them is an EG, just never cared for them.

The one I did have (a pre-mil EG in 308) went to Lawman a couple years ago and I haven't bought another since.

Bert has a point though, I have always been searching for the elusive EG in 22 H.P. but I'm fairly certain I'llnever find one. If I remember right Jeff used to own one though. I did grab up an R in 358 in the spring that I'm dieing to take to the range still. The R's are alot more harder to find than the EG's in the pre-mil win calibers.

Joe
22H.P. in an EG. Got One.
Let Me Know. I'll bring her to the fest.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
R's are easier to hold on target, fit me like a glove and I don't believe are much different in weight than an EG. My 308 R has been to AK hunting moose and weight wasn't an issue for me. R's are what fill my gunsafe. Now if I can only find one in a 243 with condition!!

M
MnFn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Ok. After listing to you guys, I have decided to put a little more time in with the R. As I indicated, I compared the two triggers/sears, etc. I made some minor adjustments and polished the sear. For all practicle purposes, I have identicle trigger "pulls" in both guns. I don't have a gauge to check it with but I would guess they are very close to 4 lbs pull each. I also got rid of the excessive creep. Still very much on the safe side of things, so I feel pretty good about it all things considered.
Now for the next problem. I mounted a Leupold Vari X 2-7 on it, but I have run out of elevation to get it sighted in. Is this a common problem? Shim or get a scope with more adjustment range?
gary

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I had to shim mine with a Leupold 2 x 7. Leupold sent me the shims --no charge. It was a good fix. I put 2 in and could pretty near center the screw.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Are you talking about putting shims in the scope rings? If so, I'd be worried about stressing the tube.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What kind of bases and rings are you using? That 99R was factory d&t, so proper bases shouldn't need shimming.

M
MnFn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I tried two different sets. Weavers gave me spot on elevation, but I couldn't center left to right. Redfield of course gave me a lot of adjustment left to right but could not raise the crosshair high enough. I went back to the place where I bought the scope, (used) and one of the salesmen gave me three shims for the mount. I started out with one (maybe should have put two in), hope its enough.

You would think the mounts should not need to be shimmed on an R wouldn't you? I wonder if this particular scope has less adjustment range than some. I briefly thought about trying a Leo VariXIII 1-5 but it already has a home and I really did not want to mess with it. But I remember having a similar problem on a BLR years ago. In that case the holes were drilled slightly off center. By the way, thanks for the welcome!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You may try Burris Signature rings http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html You can obtain up to 40" of adjustment and you will not mark your scope.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

M
MnFn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
TBJohn, I found basically the same thing. With one shim, and using all the elevation possible, I am dead center at 25 yards. I will add another shim to get the crosshairs in the middle of adjustment.
thanks

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 222ND, 160user, 06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 47 invisible), 9,531 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,362
Posts18,546,919
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.