Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by djb
Originally Posted by ctom99
Bergara makes a $1100 stainless & cerakote model of its B-14 rifle (a Remington 700 clone) that's currently sold only in Europe, New Zealand and Greenland. The B-14 Extreme Hunter is a 2.9 kg (6.4 lb) rifle with a threaded and fluted 18" barrel, and is chambered for both 6.5 Creedmoor & .308 Win. I'd buy this rifle in a New York minute if it was just available in the US. Here's two links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dpjl0VhU7x0 (enable English captions)

https://www.bergara.online/en/rifles/extreme-series/extreme-hunter/

If you're like me and would like to see this rifle sold in the US, please add your comment below. If there's enough interest, I'll forward the thread to Bergara's executives to see if us 24CF folks can change their minds. Thanks!

Not stainless but comes out of the same factory and IS available in the US. https://cva.com/product/cascade-short-barrel-cerakote-graphite-black-veil-tac-black/

I have one in 308 Win for suppressor use but haven't got around to shooting it yet. I also had 350 Legend CVA cut down to 17 inches and it shoots and handles great with a YHM R9.

I talked to a guy with one of those in .300 blk at the range a few weeks ago. He was happy with the accuracy and rifle in general, seemed like a nice rig for the price.

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Zero interest in an 18” anything unless I wanted to run a can, which I don’t. Cerekote is okay, over SS, but give me nitride any day, as it protects inside and out, and goes into the metal, not over it. Nitrided SS is best of all, like my Knight UL.

Have two factory Cerakoted guns. One is an O/U shotgun, and the coating is already worn off in spots like the forend latch where the metal rubs together. Might as well be paint.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Zero interest in an 18” anything unless I wanted to run a can, which I don’t. Cerekote is okay, over SS, but give me nitride any day, as it protects inside and out, and goes into the metal, not over it. Nitrided SS is best of all, like my Knight UL.

Have two factory Cerakoted guns. One is an O/U shotgun, and the coating is already worn off in spots like the forend latch where the metal rubs together. Might as well be paint.

Agree, re: nitride.

C
ctom99 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
[/quote]
Not stainless but comes out of the same factory and IS available in the US. https://cva.com/product/cascade-short-barrel-cerakote-graphite-black-veil-tac-black/
[/quote]

Interesting. I wasn't aware that CVA had started building a bolt-action centerfire rifle. I have a Bergara B-14 Ridge Special Purpose that weighs 7.2 lbs. with an 18" barrel. According to your link, the CVA Cascade SB weighs 6.75 lbs. I wonder how its accuracy and trigger compare to the B-14...

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
This thread got me reading a little today. I believe a nitrided chrome-moly, such as 4140, has better corrosion resistance than bare 416R stainless. Plus, it could add a bit of barrel life and smooth up some moving parts.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have been looking at the Bergara rifles, I like what I see. No interest in the 6.5 or 308. The 7mm-08 would be a different story. I also wish the would chamber their mountain rifles in 270, 30-06, or 280AI any one of the 3 would be fine.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I love a short barreled .308, I have right at $1100 in this one for the barreled action (M700) and stock.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I have about another $1100 in it for cutting down to 18", threading, and optics. I didn't weigh it before mounting the NF but it weighs 8 lbs without suppressor and 9 lbs with it.

Originally Posted by djb

I have one in 308 Win for suppressor use but haven't got around to shooting it yet. I also had 350 Legend CVA cut down to 17 inches and it shoots and handles great with a YHM R9.

Does the CVA use a 700 footprint?

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ctom99
[/quote]
Interesting. I wasn't aware that CVA had started building a bolt-action centerfire rifle. I have a Bergara B-14 Ridge Special Purpose that weighs 7.2 lbs. with an 18" barrel. According to your link, the CVA Cascade SB weighs 6.75 lbs. I wonder how its accuracy and trigger compare to the B-14...

My CVA 350 Legend shoots great with many bullets/loads. I actually INCREASED the trigger pull on mine as I like 2.5 on all my rifles for consistency; it was <2 lbs from the factory. I pulled the 308 out the box and it weighs 6.8 lbs with the bases and magazine installed. Here is a thread I posted earlier this year https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...2/350-legend-subsonic-loads#Post16346042

My only real complain is the bolt design is a bit wonky.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I love a short barreled .308, I have right at $1100 in this one for the barreled action (M700) and stock.

I have about another $1100 in it for cutting down to 18", threading, and optics. I didn't weigh it before mounting the NF but it weighs 8 lbs without suppressor and 9 lbs with it.

Originally Posted by djb

Yes. I don't know if it is a drop in for aftermarket 700 stocks though.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by djb
Originally Posted by taylorce1

Originally Posted by djb

Yes. I don't know if it is a drop in for aftermarket 700 stocks though.

Well if it's a 700 footprint it shouldn't take too much modification to drop into an aftermarket stock. Good to know, thank you.

IC B3

C
ctom99 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Anyone else, guys? The way I see it, the B-14 Extreme Hunter is in a unique position in the market as I know of no other quality stainless steel 18" barreled bolt actions offered anywhere near this price range. Keep the comments coming if you want to see this rifle imported to the US. Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The more I look at it the more I like it. Could probably shave a fair amount of weight with a different stock too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
killer set-up right there, ready to go in either chambering. near about perfect for the swamps and thickets down here ...

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it would do well with the suppressor crowd and the carbine crowd. Like others say, make sure the threads are 5/8", and if cost is an issue, just beadblast the SS and skip the coating.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Some people might fret the18" barrel but if I was in charge I'd make it 20" but hold the flutes back enough that someone could cut and re-thread at 18". That way the guys either suppressors could go shorter if they wanted and the guys that worried about muzzle blast could run it at 20".

I don't mind loosing a few FPS for a rifle that handles well. We all have range finders now and it's nothing to dial an extra click or two.

Once you get to 18" or so the more efficient rounds like 308 only lose about 20 fps per inch. The Creedmoor looses a bit more but not much. Plus shorter barrels are stiffer with wider nodes and more forgiving.

I always wondered why anyone would want a 308 longer than 24". Anything past that and the velocity increase per inch is almost insignificant. Larger more over bore rounds are a different story but for ab308 I consider 22" long and a 6.5 Creedmoor I see no reason to go past about 24". And those are seeming long too me. Ideally in my world 308's would be 20" or less and 6.5 Creedmoors would be 22" or less along with 270, 280 , 30-06 and other standard rounds. Save 24" tunes for 7mm and 300 mag and others. And 26" should be reserved for thermally big magnums or overbore rounds. That's what I'm thinking as max.

It seems like they used to have it figured out and standard rounds came 22" and magnums came 24".
The bergara 300 prc I keep looking at has a 9 twist 24" barrel which I think is good but it has a #5 contour barrel that is just too heavy. I wish they'd make me a 24" 9 twist 300 prc with a fluted #4 in stainless with no coating.

The bergara guys need to come out and hunt elk for a week with their CrMo #5 contour. Meanwhile get us this 18" SS 308 with a 5/8x24 thread and it's twin in 6.5 Creedmoor. They can leave off the coating and maybe make the 6.5 a 20". I think they'd sell but then your average shooter doesn't think like me.

I realize that there's still a lot of Joe blow guys that think longer is better. I've just never felt a need to compensate by having a longer barrel. The only argument against shorter that holds water for me is muzzle blast. I shot 20" and 18" 308s for years and found the blast tolerable.

Some of the guys shooting long range competition have a reason for longer barrels when they are try to get every last bit out of a round and so do the large magnum over bore guys. But they're operating from a bench not out in the field. For a field gun I have a hard time with anything over 24 or a #4 contour.

Bb

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by snowboardguy
The more I look at it the more I like it. Could probably shave a fair amount of weight with a different stock too.

That stock looks identical to the one that came on my Bergara Ridge model, which weighs 28 oz. Just an FYI.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by drano 25
Originally Posted by snowboardguy

That stock looks identical to the one that came on my Bergara Ridge model, which weighs 28 oz. Just an FYI.

Not bad but what about a brown pond'r???

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yep...308 20Inch, NO Cerekote paint job

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Would definitely buy one in 308

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
I think it would do well with the suppressor crowd and the carbine crowd. Like others say, make sure the threads are 5/8", and if cost is an issue, just beadblast the SS and skip the coating.

Yep.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.