Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
After years back I build a lightweight 16" 5.56 to keep in a smaller case in the truck. I used a BHW 3 groove 8 twist light weight and I had it shooting 1/2 moa with reloaded 75g Hornady BTHPs but after only a few hundred rounds something went and I've never been able to get it to shoot that well since. I've swapped scopes and tried other things but think it's just the barrel. It's a carbine length gas tube.

I want to put together a new one and start over. I have an aero M4e1 upper and lower set and aero 15" handguard, a faxon bcg, and a triggertech adjustable ready to go. I just need to find a good 16" preferably wilde chambered mid gas this time, lightweight, preferably nitride ss, or just SS barrel capable of 1/2 moa after load development. Any ideas where to find such a barrel? The last few I tried were ballistic advantage and I've not been impressed with those.

Bb

GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Noveske makes a SS light weight barrel that shoots pretty well but it’s not a true pencil barrel. It’s probably your best bet. A true pencil barrel is gonna be more finicky unless you’re talking 3 shot groups every now and then.

Even the Noveske is more of a sub MOA barrel and not what I’d call a 1/2 MOA barrel.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I’ve shot “3 shot groups” under MOA from several pencil barrels including Bushmaster, Colt, Sionics and Faxon. I’ve heard good reports from Criterion and a few others but have never shot them myself. But I consider them 1.5 MOA barrels when 10 shots are done.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, I think there's a lot of 'em out there.

Personally, I've had good luck with LaRue PredatAR https://www.larue.com/products/5-56-predatar-barrel-k/

And, Ranier Arms Match .223 Wylde Lightweight - https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-arms-match-223-wylde-lightweight-barrel/

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I forgot about the LaRue, the one I had shot pretty well too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's the definition of lightweight & what is your target barrel weight?.....................LaRue is not exactly lightweight at all, IMO, & even though Noveske calls some of their barrels lightweight, they're not really.

Or are you looking for a pencil barrel?

And unless you want to step up to a Bartlein barrel or equivalent level, & are a helluva shooter to go with it, you are not going to find many that are really & truly 1/2 MOA................. a lightweight 16" barrel that will keep 10 shots under an inch is a very good barrel.

To me, other than a pencil barrel with a .625" GB journal, anything under about 27 oz is lightweight, anything between 27-32 oz is midweight & anything over that is heavy.

Wilson Combat makes a lightweight fluted SS Recce barrel that is 27 oz at a fair $$$ if that interests you; I just used one, but haven't shot it much but so far it makes me happy. It's also an intermediate gas barrel, so it shoot quite soft.

Just be aware that Wilson sets the headspace to minimum or even .001" below minimum, so you will have to fit bolt to it to get some factory ammo to chamber.

Ranier also has some barrels in their ultra match & match lines that go about 30 oz that are outstanding but more $$$$; the one I have does under an inch easily.

MM

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Not looking for a pencil but definitely under 2 pounds. I'm just looking for lighter weight like M4 profile weight range or a bit lighter but not an actual m4 profile. Prefer 7 twist but would consider an 8. And 1/2 for 3 shots is ok but I'd prefer 1/2 for 5 shots if possible after serious development.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For an off the shelf barrel, that is usually in stock w/o a long weight, buy the 16" Ranier Ultra-Match.

If you are not happy with it they will take it back within 90 days; I'd be shocked if you aren't happy, their UM barrels just flat shoot and are reputed to be Criterion blanks.

Or take the WC, it's a very nicely done barrel, absent dealing with the headspace issue.

Pretty much any custom from any of the major names is going to be a 6 month wait right now.

WOA is not a bad wait, usually less than a month, but they are not really into 16" light / medium barrels although they do have an 18" 3-Gun barrel that comes in at at just under 31 oz..................their barrels are top notch for accuracy.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
For an off the shelf barrel, that is usually in stock w/o a long weight, buy the 16" Ranier Ultra-Match.

If you are not happy with it they will take it back within 90 days; I'd be shocked if you aren't happy, their UM barrels just flat shoot and are reputed to be Criterion blanks.

Or take the WC, it's a very nicely done barrel, absent dealing with the headspace issue.

Pretty much any custom from any of the major names is going to be a 6 month wait right now.

WOA is not a bad wait, usually less than a month, but they are not really into 16" light / medium barrels although they do have an 18" 3-Gun barrel that comes in at at just under 31 oz..................their barrels are top notch for accuracy.

MM

MM, have you had any green mountain tubes? A buddy from my club has one and it shoots better than his 18" barrel. He shoots 9 shot groups for some odd reason, but has no choice in our AR shoots to shoot 10 shots. His has often really impressed me with sub moa 9 shot groups. He likes running 75gr Hornady HPBT match bullets too. I'd be happy if I could get my 20" barrels to shoot as consistently as his does with that bullet. My rifles seem to prefer Sierra for some reason.. I believe he said his 16" barrel is right around 26 oz's..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, I don't have any Green Mountain barrels.

My very best barrels are Rock Creek blanks , machined by Craddock precision; my Ranier & WOA's are also very good. The only Krieger that I own is also excellent.

MM

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Sounds like you'd dig a faxon pencil.
They're pretty sweet for a walk about AR.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I had one Green Mt. It was a good barrel.

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've put 2 faxon light barrels on for friends. Both were acceptable shooters. I can't recall how good exactly but they even would have likely kept me happy.
If I was after a light barrel I'd be willing to try a faxon again.

Can't say more because we don't really own a light gun to speak of. We don't often walk more than a mile with the ARs so no big deal to us on a bit extra weight

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Not looking for a pencil but definitely under 2 pounds. I'm just looking for lighter weight like M4 profile weight range or a bit lighter but not an actual m4 profile. Prefer 7 twist but would consider an 8. And 1/2 for 3 shots is ok but I'd prefer 1/2 for 5 shots if possible after serious development.

Bb

BTW have you played with the one that died? Its rare for a barrel to die like that. Its often the optics, mounts, bad lot of bullets (Hornady we never could trust totally for match shooting but they would replace bad lots of bullets... to the tune of 5000 amax for us once). Different lot of powder, primers etc...

Did you chrono the load? Are you still same speed. IF not did you run up and down a grain or two of powder total, just to see.

Again unless its 3000 rounds or more depending, some of our cut tubes went to 12K, or maybe the crown got dinged, hard to think it would just die.

UNLESS the .5 moa groups were flukes and you didn't shoot enough 10 shot groups or such to verify.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by rost495

Bb

BTW have you played with the one that died? Its rare for a barrel to die like that. Its often the optics, mounts, bad lot of bullets (Hornady we never could trust totally for match shooting but they would replace bad lots of bullets... to the tune of 5000 amax for us once). Different lot of powder, primers etc...

Did you chrono the load? Are you still same speed. IF not did you run up and down a grain or two of powder total, just to see.

Again unless its 3000 rounds or more depending, some of our cut tubes went to 12K, or maybe the crown got dinged, hard to think it would just die.

UNLESS the .5 moa groups were flukes and you didn't shoot enough 10 shot groups or such to verify.

BHW makes good barrels, and are known for longer life spans. Unless he has 3K+ rounds through it, I suspect the problem is something other than the barrel.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every Wilson Combat barrel, I have 4, is accurate.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
What's the definition of lightweight & what is your target barrel weight?.....................LaRue is not exactly lightweight at all, IMO, & even though Noveske calls some of their barrels lightweight, they're not really.

Or are you looking for a pencil barrel?

And unless you want to step up to a Bartlein barrel or equivalent level, & are a helluva shooter to go with it, you are not going to find many that are really & truly 1/2 MOA................. a lightweight 16" barrel that will keep 10 shots under an inch is a very good barrel.

To me, other than a pencil barrel with a .625" GB journal, anything under about 27 oz is lightweight, anything between 27-32 oz is midweight & anything over that is heavy.

Wilson Combat makes a lightweight fluted SS Recce barrel that is 27 oz at a fair $$$ if that interests you; I just used one, but haven't shot it much but so far it makes me happy. It's also an intermediate gas barrel, so it shoot quite soft.

Just be aware that Wilson sets the headspace to minimum or even .001" below minimum, so you will have to fit bolt to it to get some factory ammo to chamber.

Ranier also has some barrels in their ultra match & match lines that go about 30 oz that are outstanding but more $$$$; the one I have does under an inch easily.

MM

MontanaMan,
Where did you get the Wilson Combat fluted SS Recce barrel? I couldn't find it listed on their web site.
Thanks,
rookie

NRA Life member

"You can't fix stupid"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bb

I have never put it to the test on a 100 yard target but I have a DelTon light weight carbine 16" barrel that is nicely accurate and is a pleasure to shoot with iron sights. Looking in the barrel with my bore scope it has very few machining flaws and the rifling is very consistently smooth. I have heard some bad things about the "new" DelTon barrels and that they are not as nice and consistent shooters as their older barrels are. Mine is not chrome lined and is a 1 in 9 twist. https://www.del-ton.com/Del-Ton-Barrel-Kit-p/kt1005.htm

That's too bad they have lost their previous great reputation for having accurate and affordable barrels. If I were looking now I would go with a company that has a long time great reputation and be willing to pay a little more. Get a cheap bore scope and as soon as the barrel arrives take a look inside and check out the workmanship. If the rifling is rough and it shows a lot of machining marks send it back. I have 2 DelTon barrels and one looks really nice with the bore scope and one "sketchy". You can probably guess which one is an OK shooter and which one is nicely accurate.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 12/25/21.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rookieatbest

MontanaMan,
Where did you get the Wilson Combat fluted SS Recce barrel? I couldn't find it listed on their web site.
Thanks,
rookie

They actually call it a Recon in their description & it's a 5.56 chamber, not a Wylde.........& it's on sale & in stock at what I paid for it a few months ago.

If you buy it, it takes an intermediate length gas tube which Wilson also carries.

MM

WC Fluted 16" barrel

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by rost495

Bb

BHW makes good barrels, and are known for longer life spans. Unless he has 3K+ rounds through it, I suspect the problem is something other than the barrel.

rost is making some good points. as per usual..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Thanks, appreciate the info!
One ordered!
rookie

NRA Life member

"You can't fix stupid"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,928
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.