Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I used to do it all the time. I’m doing better since the component short. I had to fight the urge today to swap a few around.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by goalie
Anyone else start changing up which rifles have what optics on them after the season ends, or even if you just get a new scope?

It never seems to just be a swap, but more of a domino effect where I end up moving around 3, 4, or 5 scopes.

And I tell myself it's "the last time" every damn time.

I need to, because my best glass is not on rifles I regularly use. They sit on other good guns that sit in the safe. I have at least 6 Ziess Conquests sitting on rifles and I think over the last 10 years have only hunted with a rifle with a Ziess on it 1 time. I need to move things around and put the glass where it will be used.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't swap around very much but I'm behind on mounting them. I've been moving one Nightforce between varmint rifles while I saved/shopped and tried to decide what I wanted. Then I have a new build and a rebarrel to mount scopes on. Thats a total of 3 that are waiting to be mounted. The new build and the rebarrel need the barrel channels sanded out and I'm working on that, a little at a time.

lightman
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If by accident, the perfect scope is ever mounted to the perfect rifle, then there would be nothing to do between hunts.

smile

Bruce

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Scope rotation keeps everything fresh and new, think of it as required periodic maintenance. Want to really ramp up the pace? Try thinning out the herd and see what happens.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Not so much but remembering what load in the pile it was last dialed in for, yes.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EdM
Not so much but remembering what load in the pile it was last dialed in for, yes.

I hang tags on my rifles with load info, otherwise no way to remember what's what.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a chance.

Except for an old scope on my 308 that was suspect,
And got replaced along with bedding, stock painting and new mounts,
I don't think I have ever did a swap.

Heck, I bought a M7 for the Leupold on it 20 years ago.
They are still together, bought another scope.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by EdM

I do a lot of scope shuffling....even during the season sometimes, but our season is ~4 months long.

I keep a spreadsheet with gun info, load, current setup, and drops to 500 yards. For a couple of rounds (.308 and 6.5 CM) I have a generic load that (so far) has been under MOA in multiple rifles. It makes it easy when I can full length size and use the same generic load in different rifles. As long as it's right at or under MOA I'd rather have a generic load that's 50 fps slower and use it across multiple rifles than have a rifle specific load for each that might group slightly tighter or be a touch faster.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
all my guns pretty much wear the same scope so no need to move anything.

all bushnell elites.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one scope project that going to happen after I shoot two more does with the rifle that’s getting the facelift.

Heck of it all is that the scope that’s on it is great, but a case of lightweight-itis got a hold of me so I’m tinkering over 10oz! 🤦🏼‍♂️

Im also +10 or more on extra scopes. I swear they find me! I need to post a couple on the lonelier ones on here for you guys to pick over.

Good call on the elites, srwshooter.

Last edited by Gypsy_Wind; 12/20/21.

Fear the crabcat.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am working on a revolutionary invention, still in the developmental stages of course. My new mount system is the fastest ever, got that nailed, but now I'm trying some work arounds for 'return to zero' which seems to have a few bugs. If the prices of Chinese bulk Velcro remain low, I expect to be marketing this at flea markets and gun shows next year in the area of 4.99 per kit. Look for announcements this spring. (Big Stick has pre ordered 20 kits).

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by srwshooter
all my guns pretty much wear the same scope so no need to move anything.

all bushnell elites.

My 6 and 6.5 man bun rifles definitely need a different scope than my 44mag and 30-30 single shots.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Goalie: For at least 30 years (from age 20 to age 50!) I did that very thing - I would "swap" scopes from Varmint Rifles in the fall to Big Game Rifles for those seasons.
Then at about age 50 my financial situation improved so that I could afford enough scopes for every one of my Rifles.
I feel blessed that for the last 24 years I have not had to "swap" scopes every year - and thus avoiding the hassle of that program.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had a few (3) rifles with B&L mounts that I would swap or even share a scope with. Wound up buying 5 (fill in your favorite scope) and stopped swapping.

Last edited by richj; 12/20/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I've even swapped out scopes that were swapped in and never fired! Don't get me started on upgrading from 1" tubes to 30mm. Just the first one caused a five-scope swap, and now I'm up to my fourth 30mm tube.

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mrchongo
I've even swapped out scopes that were swapped in and never fired! Don't get me started on upgrading from 1" tubes to 30mm. Just the first one caused a five-scope swap, and now I'm up to my fourth 30mm tube.

Ordered 30mm lapping set just yesterday! It's addictive isn't it?

LOL
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, it's often just to see if I like a certain scope on a certain rifle.

I've had a Trijicon 1-4 and a Vortex Razor 1.5-8 on almost everything to try out.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Last year I was enlighted to Meopta and Weaver Grand Slams

It seems like when I see these I may wind up with them then we start moving things around

I like Leupolds for light hunting rifles

over all the first named scopes have become a strong favorite

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rarely do I swap scopes between rifles unless one is added or subtracted from the herd. Usually in that case I buy a new scope or save the old one too go on the next rifle. I'm partial to the Leupold mark V and similar and put custom turrets or labels on for a specific load/combo. For the kids' guns I cheaped out with Nikon monarchs. Way too much work to mix and match and then get new turrets made or labels to stick on.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,510
Posts18,490,768
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.