Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Slavek Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Went to the range to shoot my 1911 pistol. About six months ago I have preloaded several eight cartridge magazines with 230gr fmj ammo. Most of the magazines caused failure either double feed or failure to go into battery. These magazines were previously 100% reliable. Lesson learned unlike standard Glock magazines the 1911 magazines can not be loaded and left that way and used because there will be reliability problems due to spring compression. In a week or so I will preload them right before going to the range to see if the problem went away or I have to stretch out springs in affected magazines.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Trash.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Replace the magazine springs.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It could happen, but before I placed my bet that several magazine springs simultaneously went bad, I'd be betting on the single recoil spring in the pistol.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JOG
It could happen, but before I placed my bet that several magazine springs simultaneously went bad, I'd be betting on the single recoil spring in the pistol.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've always left my 1911 magazines loaded and they have always functioned

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I read where they found a 1911 still loaded from WW2 and it rattled off the full magazine no problem. Assuming that was true...seems to contradict what you think the problem is?

Or maybe just cheap mags or crappy heat treat on the springs...?

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

Or maybe just cheap mags or crappy heat treat on the springs...?

Not a chance. I'd bet just cheap mags or crappy heat treat on the springs...?

wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Slavek Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Raferman
Trash.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Slavek Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JOG

It is magazine springs. The gun has about 200 rounds on that spring and experience indicates spring is good for about 700+/-100 rounds (3,5" 1911 with 24lb spring). In addition two magazines that came with the gun worked perfectly. Each mag that produced stoppages worked perfectly before I left them loaded with <100 cartridges fired per magazine. I am confident that some stretching should make them reliable again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What kind of mags? What kind of 1911? What recent mods or parts changes?

I have never had any mag fail from being left loaded for months or years with any handgun, including the 1911. And yes, I leave mags loaded for months all the time, and sometimes even for years.

Sounds like a personal problem.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by JOG

It is magazine springs. The gun has about 200 rounds on that spring and experience indicates spring is good for about 700+/-100 rounds (3,5" 1911 with 24lb spring). In addition two magazines that came with the gun worked perfectly. Each mag that produced stoppages worked perfectly before I left them loaded with <100 cartridges fired per magazine. I am confident that some stretching should make them reliable again.

Appears you don't know any more about springs than you know about handguns.

Slavek Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FreeMe

I have never had any mag fail from being left loaded for months or years with any handgun, including the 1911. And yes, I leave mags loaded for months all the time, and sometimes even for years.

This is very reliable 1911 made in Philippines. The original 7 round magazines did not cause stoppages. Those eight round magazines in the pics were 100% reliable in that gun prior to being stored loaded. Lesson is do not keep 1911 magazines loaded for long time because you will experience reliability issues.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Top shelf RIA.
Lol

Slavek Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Top shelf RIA.
Lol

I like that gun and shoot is much better then G26 I used to own. It is holding up very well. I am only trying to pass on something I have learned that I did not expect to happen.

Slavek Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FreeMe

No parts changes on the gun except new recoil springs about every 700 cartridges. The magazines are form Wilson Combat. The shiny ones are 47D, not sure what blackened ones with aluminum plates are called. These were 100% reliable before I stored ammo in them. Not all of them produced stoppages, but there were greater number from the ones with black finish.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Top shelf RIA.
Lol

I like that gun and shoot is much better then G26 I used to own. It is holding up very well. I am only trying to pass on something I have learned that I did not expect to happen.

It dam sure isn't from leaving the magazines loaded

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not saying you are wrong or you don't have an issue but just went and checked my Wilson and Novaks mags that have been loaded for several years, both did just fine.
They are now reloaded and good for another long while.
Mine is a Nowlin 1911

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lesson is do not keep 1911 magazines loaded for long time because you will experience reliability issues.

If that's what you learned from it, I suggest you shouldn't rely on a 1911 for anything. I mean you, specifically. The rest of us will carry on as usual, I'm sure.

Slavek Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Next time I will load them right before I leave for the range. I do not expect any problems. I usually shoot about 300 cartridges per session because I do not want to carry heavy range bag. and fewer rounds fired is a wasted range trip.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Went to the range to shoot my 1911 pistol. About six months ago I have preloaded several eight cartridge magazines with 230gr fmj ammo. Most of the magazines caused failure either double feed or failure to go into battery. These magazines were previously 100% reliable. Lesson learned unlike standard Glock magazines the 1911 magazines can not be loaded and left that way and used because there will be reliability problems due to spring compression. In a week or so I will preload them right before going to the range to see if the problem went away or I have to stretch out springs in affected magazines.

Something is not right about that story, since I have fired 1911 mags in 1911s that have been left loaded for years, and haven't had this issue. Also, long term compression isn't what wears out a properly manufactured magazine spring. It's the number of cycles of compression and decompression that wears them out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,832
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.