Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by jorgeI
JWP: I use the 225 in the 338WM with great accuracy, but like boobs, the bigger the better and my 340 shoots the 250s into a dime all day long smile

If you do your part?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Nothing to impart as my knowledge/experience doesn’t allow me to add anything of value. Just wanted to thank all the contributors for sharing knowledge on a great thread.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
You hear guides bashing every caliber!!

Knowledgeable guides aren't bashing any specific "caliber" (meaning cartridge) but the hunters who typically can't shoot a new-to-them, hard-kicking "caliber" accurately. Which is exactly what Phil was doing, and my outfitter acquaintance in the Bob Marshall.

They're also bashing the claims from many "magnum" fans that only a certain minimum, magic level of caliber/velocity/energy/bullet-weight is adequate (or sometimes "fully adequate") for certain big game animals. This is often what convinces some newbie elk or brown bear hunter who already owns and has hunted plenty with, say, a .30-06, that they MUST use a far more powerful cartridge, or the elk or bear won't die.

I know part of this due to having guided some myself here in Montana. Quite a few hunters on their first pronghorn or mule deer hunt decided they needed some sort of belted magnum, usually a 7mm or .30 caliber, to kill pronghorns and mule deer at "long range." Long range to many of my guidees was anything beyond 200-250 yards--as far as they'd shot anything back home.

So they bought a new magnum despite owning a very familiar .243 or .270 or .308 Winchester they'd already killed a pile of whitetails with. Often they wouldn't shoot the new MAGNUM enough before going on the hunt, because it kicked too much or the ammo was expensive. As a result they flinched enough to be unable to zero the rifle adequately.

This may seem impossible to many manly magnum fans, but have seen it many times, both while guiding and when hunting big game in various places around the world. One was a guy who brought a new 7mm Remington Magnum on a pronghorn hunt, leaving a .243 he'd killed plenty of whitetails with back home. Another was a European guy who'd hunted Stone sheep and caribou successfully with his 7x64 Mauser in British Columbia, killing both with one shot--but when he decided to hunt moose with the same outfitter a couple years later bought a .300 Winchester Magnum, because moose were so much bigger. He grouped three shots in about 18" at 100 yards during the pre-hunt sight-in in camp, and not only took several shots to kill a moose, but several to kill another caribou.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Why would a hunter going to SE Alaska be ok using a smaller caliber than a hunter heading to Kodiak or the peninsula?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
One could easily get the impression from this thread that non-magnum cartridges are "better than" magnums because of less recoil, therefore almost anyone could shoot more accurately with them. I say "get the impression". That may not be intended, yet it's a dominant theme. That of course is true of certain shooters and/or hunters who don't shoot (for various reasons) "big guns" very often or not at all. But I hope no one goes away from here with the belief that their .308 Win is on a par with a .375 H&H under all conditions and circumstances.

I started big game (deer) hunting with a borrowed .30-30, and later with a borrowed .303 British. Sometime later I bought an Argentine military Mauser (still in the grease) in 7 x 57. It was possibly the best made and most beautiful rifle I've ever owned. But... I couldn't mount a scope due to the straight-out bolt handle, so I traded for my first .30-06, a converted M98 military Mauser. I began handloading for that rifle. Soon thereafter it was traded for a nearly new M70 in .30-06. A long story cut short: I've made handloads for most common rifles from .22 Hornet to the .458 Win Mag. And used them in hunting.

At age 86 my favorite rifle is a Ruger #1 in .458 Win Mag for which I make loads that simulate BP, or any .45-70 loads, and full house loads to Lott ballistics. And another thing: not grizzles of BB, but a "good" .458" bullet from a .45-70 or .458 Win will flatten a black bruin without a CNS hit, whereas a 9.3 x 62 will not!

I'm 86 and weigh 160 lbs.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Shooting is a physiological thing, meaning a good deal of it is in your mind, and the ability to negate a large amount of recoil is not all that easy.
Buck fever (jerking a rifle due to anxiousness) is a big deal to overcome as well, so the first time you hunt something you are much more prone to make a mistake.

Mistakes on dangerous game are always problematic…. So you are much better using a 30-06 with a super penetrating bullet than going with a magnum.

IIRC Phil said he recommends 06 for bear…. And I understand why.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
CZ550,

I don't recall anyone saying that smaller cartridges are "better than" bigger cartridges.

Phil Shoemaker did note that smaller cartridges have indeed worked better, on average, for brown bears than larger cartridges. But he did NOT say that "almost anyone could shoot more accurately with them."

Dunno how many brown bear hunters Phil's outfitting company has guided, but over several decades it's been quite a few--and his clients regularly take very big bears.

Might also note that Phil has used a wide variety of cartridges to back up brown bear hunters, from the .30-06 to the .505 Gibbs. He still prefers his .458 Winchester, but that's for stopping charging, wounded bears, something very different than hunting unwounded bears.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
CZ550,

I don't recall anyone saying that smaller cartridges are "better than" bigger cartridges.

Phil Shoemaker did note that smaller cartridges have indeed worked better, on average, for brown bears than larger cartridges. But he did NOT say that "almost anyone could shoot more accurately with them."

Dunno how many brown bear hunters Phil's outfitting company has guided, but over several decades it's been quite a few--and his clients regularly take very big bears.

Might also note that Phil has used a wide variety of cartridges to back up brown bear hunters, from the .30-06 to the .505 Gibbs. He still prefers his .458 Winchester, but that's for stopping charging, wounded bears, something very different than hunting unwounded bears.

Its sure a shame that you have been having to be so clear on posts lately.

I think the stupidity of the world gets worse every day.

I'll take a 308 guy over a mag guy any day. Assuming the 308 can shoot and the mag guy might not.

30-06 seems like a perfectly fine gun with the right bullet for a big bear. Its not that big a deal really. Whats big is picking the right bullet. And putting the first one where it needs to go. And if need be getting more in them which is never a bad thing.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Puddle
Originally Posted by jwp475

Which is more due to bullets and or shot placement

They're not bashing the pair of hands carting around the cartridge, because that would be impolite. Hence, the cartridge...

I'll say it. All day. Every day. If you can't shoot, you can't shoot. Its that simple.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CZ550
One could easily get the impression from this thread that non-magnum cartridges are "better than" magnums because of less recoil, therefore almost anyone could shoot more accurately with them. I say "get the impression". That may not be intended, yet it's a dominant theme. That of course is true of certain shooters and/or hunters who don't shoot (for various reasons) "big guns" very often or not at all. But I hope no one goes away from here with the belief that their .308 Win is on a par with a .375 H&H under all conditions and circumstances.

I started big game (deer) hunting with a borrowed .30-30, and later with a borrowed .303 British. Sometime later I bought an Argentine military Mauser (still in the grease) in 7 x 57. It was possibly the best made and most beautiful rifle I've ever owned. But... I couldn't mount a scope due to the straight-out bolt handle, so I traded for my first .30-06, a converted M98 military Mauser. I began handloading for that rifle. Soon thereafter it was traded for a nearly new M70 in .30-06. A long story cut short: I've made handloads for most common rifles from .22 Hornet to the .458 Win Mag. And used them in hunting.

At age 86 my favorite rifle is a Ruger #1 in .458 Win Mag for which I make loads that simulate BP, or any .45-70 loads, and full house loads to Lott ballistics. And another thing: not grizzles of BB, but a "good" .458" bullet from a .45-70 or .458 Win will flatten a black bruin without a CNS hit, whereas a 9.3 x 62 will not!

I'm 86 and weigh 160 lbs.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Ah. Another one of those my gun is big enough to floor an animal with a rib cage lung shot breaking no bones just because my round is big.

Flooring animal. DRT or whatever you want to call it is ONLY reliable 100% of the time if you hit CNS. Period.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the '06 was good enough for a nazi high on meth pills wielding an mp40 and who really wanted to kill you, it'll do fine for a groggy brownie 200yds away that just woke up from hibernation. Use enough bullet and put it where it counts; they can't live without lungs.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have never Killed a bear. I have spent some time with a knowledgeable guy fishing in SE in the ABC Islands. He was a retired LEO that had had to hunt down problem bears some that had eaten people. He carried a 458 Win Mag to do it. He kept it leaned up against the corner next to his recliner in his living room. I saw 27 Brown bears on my 2 trips up there. We got pretty close to some. They are impressive muscular strong looking animals. I wouldn't try to hunt them with the minimum that would get by. I would take my outfitters advice and hunt with something that would stop them.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My observation about hunters and shooting in general is either a person can shoot, or they can't. I've hunted in a lot of places with a lot of different folks for a wide variety of game and some just can't get it done when it counts. Buck fever, adrenaline rush or whatever, their shooting has not been stellar. Size of the hole in the barrel doesn't make much difference.
I've shot in competition for many years and seen it there since the beginning, guys do ok in practice but when it counts they start missing. Pressure can do nasty things to one's nerves and consequently to how well they shoot.

Last edited by John55; 12/22/21.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've never hunted the big bears either....But I do know that if I won the lottery I wouldn't be running out to buy a new super big magnum. I have 30.06, 338.06 and 7 mag. I don't like recoil any bigger than those and would have a hard time practicing with a 340 wby etc. I've killed plenty of game with my rifles and feel very comfortable with them. I'd take one of those after having had a conversation about it with the outfitter.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Still waiting to hear from my brother whether he bought the .300 WinMag that his buddy the sporting goods store owner suggested to solve his problem of not being able to hit fur with a .30-06.

My suggestion was too complicated; buy 10 boxes of ammo, get the hell away from the bench, and do some regular, focused practice.

Nope. Got no time for that....

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I visited with several guides about 3 years ago.. One mentioned the .300's with heavy Nosler Partitions .. The others were suggesting a .375 and of course they expected you to be able to shoot.

Last edited by WyoCoyoteHunter; 12/22/21.

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
CZ550,

Its sure a shame that you have been having to be so clear on posts lately.

I think the stupidity of the world gets worse every day.

I'll take a 308 guy over a mag guy any day. Assuming the 308 can shoot and the mag guy might not.

30-06 seems like a perfectly fine gun with the right bullet for a big bear. Its not that big a deal really. Whats big is picking the right bullet. And putting the first one where it needs to go. And if need be getting more in them which is never a bad thing.

Phil talked to a group of students for me and said he was fine with clients starting at the 270/708 level as long as they were using a good bullet and were a competent shooter. Obviously he's backing up clients with the 06 or the 458, so the big difference seems to be that the solo hunter has to be the primary shooter and the backup with one gun. Solution: make that first shot a good one 😇😀

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Puddle
Originally Posted by jwp475

Which is more due to bullets and or shot placement

They're not bashing the pair of hands carting around the cartridge, because that would be impolite. Hence, the cartridge...

Which is exactly why many "white hunters," in the early days of East African safaris, told their clients who shot poorly the problem was "the different light in Africa"....

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by John55
Why would a hunter going to SE Alaska be ok using a smaller caliber than a hunter heading to Kodiak or the peninsula?

That is a really good question. Having hunted all those places i can't fathom why. Just because the bears are typically a little bigger in Kodiak?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Because on the peninsula and kodiak a really big bear is much bigger than a really big bear in SE.

Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.