Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hey guys !<P>I just took a two week job working at the mall takeing photos . It will be paying well ($800.00 for two weeks) , and mom has given me the ok to use up to $500.00 on a new gun !! She said the rest must go to something useful "like ammo , I said" .<P>I have been thinking long and hard about what I want to add to my small , but growing collection . I think I got it down to a few , but then again I have no cule ?<P>High on my list is a Thompson Encore rifle .<BR>It would be great because I could just spend $200.00 and get a different barrel "rather than spend $500 or more on a whole new rifle"<BR>But on the other hand that would not leave much room for "good glass" . The cheapest I have seen them is $475.00 . Can you get them any cheaper ?<P>Next on the list is a Savage modle 93 FVSS in .22 mag. . I have always wanted a .22 mag , but on the othe hand I have a .22lr , and a .223 ......I guess I just don't want to get a bunch of small caliber rifle , and then wish I had something bigger ?<P>I wold also like a bolt action .22 mag hand gun , but I think it would be more head ake than it's worth . I don't know the exact laws about people under 18 hunting with hand guns , but I would bet that there not going to make it EZ for me .<P>Any one want to throw me a bone ? Put ur $00.02 in ? Point me in some derection ?<BR>"For some reason that Encore is sticking in my mind ." Any imput there ? <P>Thanks: Treeratkiller<P><p>[This message has been edited by treeratkiller (edited February 23, 2001).]

GB1

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
You already have a 22 centerfire so I would go a bit bigger. I would look in to a .243 or better yet a 25-06. I have no worries when I have the 06, coyotes at long ranges are in trouble. I load up a 75 grain Sierra hollo point prettty hot, its right at 3,900 fps. What it does to coyotes is unbelivalbe.<P>What would be good about the .243 or 25-06 would be that you could use them for deer or even elk (though a bit small, yet very capable). I am not sure how much big game hunting you do, or plan on but this would be a good start. These would be great utility rifles. .243 factory shells are pretty cheap. If you reload that will save you money. <P>I think a .17 is also a neat little round. But boy does it lose some steam pass 200 yds. I was looking at my manual and at muzzle the 25 grain pill wizzes 4,000 fps and at 200 yds is down to 2,800 fps. My friend has one and likes it for animals in the 175 yd range or closer. Ammo is expensive for them, about 17 bucks a box.<P>The TC would be a great rig for sure. But what do you do when you call in a pack of four like I did this year, or all of the multiples... The ultimate predator rifle would be a Browning BAR semi auto chambered in .243 or 22-250. Boy could you have some fun, and make quick follow up shots too.<P>Chad <P>

NM Kid<BR>
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thanks for the insight NM Kid !<BR>I would really like to get a .308 if I am going for larg caliber . Its a good long rang shooter , and ammo can be had any ware .<P>I am day dreaming more and more about the encore . I know that one shot limits me from being able to shoot a "pack" , but I'm ok with that. My next rifle will be a BushMaster AR15 E2E shorty w/ a 16" heavy barrel , or an AR10 in .243 "now thats a gun that will take out a pack of yotes"<P>I would also like to have a .17 cal. for tree rats , and a .243 AI ! O and a .22 BR , and a 220 howle (sp?) and , and ...........<BR>Just one more reason to go with the encore "or contender carbine" , but I could get a .50 cal. black powder barrel if I got the encore "I hunt mostly in Iowa so that would be a big plus for deer season(shot gun and muzzle loader only)"<P>It's all to much !<P>Better go check out T/C's web page AGAIN .<P>Regards: Treeratkiller<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NM Kid:<BR><B>You already have a 22 centerfire so I would go a bit bigger. I would look in to a .243 or better yet a 25-06. I have no worries when I have the 06, coyotes at long ranges are in trouble. I load up a 75 grain Sierra hollo point prettty hot, its right at 3,900 fps. What it does to coyotes is unbelivalbe.<P>What would be good about the .243 or 25-06 would be that you could use them for deer or even elk (though a bit small, yet very capable). I am not sure how much big game hunting you do, or plan on but this would be a good start. These would be great utility rifles. .243 factory shells are pretty cheap. If you reload that will save you money. <P>I think a .17 is also a neat little round. But boy does it lose some steam pass 200 yds. I was looking at my manual and at muzzle the 25 grain pill wizzes 4,000 fps and at 200 yds is down to 2,800 fps. My friend has one and likes it for animals in the 175 yd range or closer. Ammo is expensive for them, about 17 bucks a box.<P>The TC would be a great rig for sure. But what do you do when you call in a pack of four like I did this year, or all of the multiples... The ultimate predator rifle would be a Browning BAR semi auto chambered in .243 or 22-250. Boy could you have some fun, and make quick follow up shots too.<P>Chad <P></B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hold on guys. When I get through kidding Chad as to whether a .223 (with reference to his .222) is gun enough to kill a coyote, I still long for the brute power of a .243 on them. Along that line, I was hot on a AR-10 just a couple months ago, but now think that I have found a better way. Looking at having a 6x45 upper built for my AR-15. Not as much power as a .243, but closer to a .243 than to a .223. Also lots cheaper and lighter than an AR-10, and less recoil to recover from on that rapid fire taking-out-the-pack situations. Seems the perfect solution.....<P>------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A><BR> "Let's break out some Winchesters, boys." (Chisum)

Critr
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
guess it depends upon what you want. if your heart is set on an encore, then would you be satified with anything else. some are very good shooters, if you get one thats not a great shooter it can be made to be, even a lot of bolt guns arn't great out of the box.

IC B2

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
A 6mm might be worth looking into. It fills the blank in between the 222 and 22-250 I have and the 30-06.A god nosler partition and it works very good on whitetails also.Just a thought of course.<P>------------------<BR>Keep yer powder dry,and yer knife sharp.

Keep yer powder dry,and yer knife sharp.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Here's a thought..... since you're pretty well covered in the small game (.22 rf,... need a shotgun?) and varmint (.223), you might could use a nice medium game gun like the 7mm-08 or .308, preferably with iron sights (wouldn't absolutely NEED the scope right away), OR ...... you might like to set yourself up for a handy future carbine/handgun hunting combo, say maybe Ruger .44 mag. carbine in your choice of action type, Winchester, Browning, Marlin .357 mag. or .41 mag.(if you can locate one), or the T/C in Whatever. In any case, anticipation of the new toy is half the fun. Enjoy!!

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
If you are set on the Oncore, mabey look at the Contender carbines. Since the Oncore came on the scene the contenders have droped in price some. + the contender is based on the small to mid range caliburs where as the oncore is suited to the mid range to mags. you can go to the Thompson home page and link up to Fox Ridge, take a look at all the caliburs offered for the contender, you might be suprised. <p>[This message has been edited by WWChamplain (edited March 14, 2001).]

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Or you could get the Encore in pistol format! Order the frame from TC (stainless, as a pistol comes w/composite black grips)and the barrel from Bullberry. A 15.5" Stainless with a 1" muzzlebrake makes a great long-range pistol and, with a shoulder stock, a wicked little 16 1/2" carbine!<P>You could even unload the .223 you have and step up to this in .223, with a sweet scope on it! Leupold or Burris, take your pick...<P>BTW, you can get one of those wrist-strap ammo carriers and be almost as fast as you can with a bolt gun!<P>This is what I did, anyway, and I haven't regretted it for a minute!<P>Now, if MidWayUSA would just get those %#$#@ DIES here that I ordered...<P>Well, have fun deciding!<P>Jonesey

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my vote is for the 25-06.<P>if money is a serious issue (and it is for most), i would opt for a savage rifle.<P>i have found the 25-06 to be the most versatile rifle i have, works great for a long day of prairie doggin', and thumps deer just fine. as an aside, it reduces a coyote to a fine, red mist!

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It is much more important than that.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agree with short243, get what you want or you won't be really happy you will just second guess yourself every time you use the iron.

220 Swift still king.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 3,050 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,753
Posts18,514,711
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.