Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just got a transfer switch installed along with a whole home surge protection unit. Looking to get some sort of portable generator in the 7-12k watt range. I've scoured searches and reviews trying to decide what route to go. Do I key in on a specific brand or avoid one all together? Dual fuel, inverting, etc. My transfer switch currently sports a 50amp plug.

I do currently own a Honda 2200, which I know gives some options as well. I know there are a lot of generators that would work given the chance the power goes out. Just curious to everyone's opinion.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had a transfer switch installed but only went with a 5000 watt unit. I went Honda. Buy once, cry once.
Lots off cheaper generators that will work well. The duel fuel sounds like a good idea.

Good luck

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Honda EU7000is.

Tarquin
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Portable isn’t the answer, get a good 10,000 watt Generac and hook it up for real.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Northern Tool has any kind of generator you could possibly need. Check out the ones that have electric start.
Even the wife will love it.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Portable isn’t the answer, get a good 10,000 watt Generac and hook it up for real.

^^

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Also have to agree with a full time stand by generator. What if the power goes out when your are not home, say on vacation for 5 days. Freezer, fridge, sump pump ect.

10 seconds after power is off, stand by unit will fire up, let you know via email or text that the unit is up and running. And same when power is restored.

Gave 6k for a 20kw kohler unit.

Don't gobble at me
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Honda EU7000is.

I have one of these in my northern home for full time use off grid. Quiet and does the job.
That being said if Honda made the same in a 12k or larger I would switch.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have NG or LP at your house? Buy a whole-house generator and run it on NG or propane as neither of those gases will go bad (unlike gasoline or diesel). I would recommend Gillette generators (what I own), but I see they no longer sell/make smaller 10-18kW size units. If I were looking to buy right now, I would look at either Kohler or an Onan/Cummins whole house units and be done with it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the duel fuel gens and run them on propane. Dont have to worry about a gummed up carb. I converted a Generac 6500 to run on propane and use a transfer switch to power the house during an outage.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Sack is correct. Fuel source is just as important as the generator.

- Rogue
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by RogueHunter

Sack is correct. Fuel source is just as important as the generator.

^^^ This ^^^

Widespread power outages affect fuel suppliers/sellers, too. The bigger the generator the more fuel it will use. A power outage may outlast your gasoline/diesel reserves.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Walmart and their subordinate drop-ship vendors show 316 different models.

I doubt this link will work... https://www.walmart.com/search?q=inverter%20generator&typeahead=inverter

But do a search under "inverter generator" at Walmart.

MANY are junk... some are Honda and Yamaha engine machines... Good luck.

Save 3% with a Active Junky link thru... https://www.activejunky.com/invite/214854

Not much, but if you use AJ on all purchases... all stores... maybe $1k at the end of the year.

I buy almost NOTHING from Amazon anymore... don't trust them.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Walmart and their subordinate drop-ship vendors show 316 different models.

I doubt this link will work... https://www.walmart.com/search?q=inverter%20generator&typeahead=inverter

But do a search under "inverter generator" at Walmart.

MANY are junk... some are Honda and Yamaha engine machines... Good luck.

Save 3% with a Active Junky link thru... https://www.activejunky.com/invite/214854

Not much, but if you use AJ on all purchases... all stores... maybe $1k at the end of the year.

I buy almost NOTHING from Amazon anymore... don't trust them.

FYI... Champion brand is pure garbage... borrowed a wood splitter last week... pathetic equipment.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

L
L
We were without power 14 days last winter. Not this year. Wanted something portable. Checked all the reviews. Got a DuraMax 13000 Duel fuel off amazon. Hooked it up to my 250 gallon propane tank.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a smaller (3700? Watt) Firman generator for my back up needs or the 5th wheel. Been good to me for few years now. They offer some duel fuel now, even at Costco.
My next one will be dual fuel and remote on/off switch.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
anyone have a gen that runs off the PTO from their tractor? Ive kinda been lookin at these an may be the way to go for rural types, with the right set up,tractor,fuel supply ,, I could see storing in the barn,then carrying it around to a 220 outlet wired into a breaker,flipping off main meter breaker to house and cranking up, I have diesel storage also anybody else do this?

I AM AMERICA!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hosfly
anyone have a gen that runs off the PTO from their tractor? Ive kinda been lookin at these an may be the way to go for rural types, with the right set up,tractor,fuel supply ,, I could see storing in the barn,then carrying it around to a 220 outlet wired into a breaker,flipping off main meter breaker to house and cranking up, I have diesel storage also anybody else do this?

I have one but it's mounted in a frame and powered by a 27hp Kawasaki Engine, 12k, 1800rpm and hooks up directly to the house. Real nice in the summer when the power is out and the air is still running.

I know rockinbbar has one he uses on his tractor.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If looking for a portable

Everyone knows Hondas are great and I agree I have a few

But also keep Yamaha in mind I bought a large one last year that are also very good

I have a friend who is a dealer for both and he actually prefers Yamaha

But either one would be top of the heap

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by hosfly

I picked up a couple of MEP-002a military generators a few years back... Put custom torsion axles under them and a tongue on the front. Maybe $1k each total build. I personally like that better than a PTO.

120/240/208 3 phase and they can be slaved.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (257Bob, 1936M71, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,661
Posts18,493,598
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.