Print Thread
Hop To
H
haazrob Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
If you were gone to put one together, which action and why? Rem 700, 7, Mauser 98, Tikka etc. Thanks. Rob

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a model seven cdl I put in an edge stock. With a leupold 4x I forget how light it was, but it was too light

If I were building one I’d do it on an action with a mag box longer than 2.8” and a barrel with enough meat to put some weight out front

Action of your choice, 23” 4 contour (Or 5 contour fluted) and a Remington classic McMillan standard fill would be about perfect. Tweak barrel length and Add optic to suit your intended use

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I put this 350 Mag together for my left handed son a couple years ago.
Short 700 action. Benchmark 12" twist at 20", Wildcat stock, 2-7 Freedom in Talley LW's.
7lbs 4 oz, and no, it's not too light. Just right.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
haazrob;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust you had a good Christmas and all in your world are well.

This is a bit of a timely thread in that I'm actually in the beginning stages of facilitating a build for a buddy in that chambering.

Buddy's rifle is an early 90's SS long action 700 with the factory removable mag system.

After contacting a few different Canadian gunsmiths, we've settled on Corlane in Dawson Creek for the job, in large part because they've done quite a few of them.

This is what we're doing and the rationale behind it.

It's getting a 1:12 SS Wilson barrel because they have them in stock and have had good success with them.

While they will do it on any action, if the customer doesn't supply one they usually do Tikka as the action isn't a short one and long monometal bullets can be seated out if that's what the customer wants for throating.

The smith I talked to was happy to do it in a long action Remington, but wouldn't do it without changing out the magazine system. We've chosen the lower priced option of a Kwik Clip which is a center feed as I understand it. The smith said he'd tune both magazines to feed perfectly before shipping it back to me. He insisted on doing that actually and that pretty well sold the owner and I on having these guys do the work as it's reasonably high on the list of things we'd like to see done.

Oh, should mention buddy is a geologist and as such wanders all over the north so Yukon, NWT, BC and Alberta. He'd like it to work if it's needed in a big hurry. wink

At this point buddy is thinking a 21" barrel will look "about right" and give the correct balance, this after me talking to the smith as well as his own ideas.

I'm not sure what he'll be using for optics, but will likely do a smaller 3x9 variable to start with.

He's looking for bullets now which are close to unobtanium up here, but I've located a couple boxes of 200gr TSX so we've got a start there. The smith is also or was also a part time guide and speaks highly of the 225gr TSX.

Hopefully that was useful to you or someone out there this morning.

Good luck on your build whichever way you decide and all the best in the New Year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
rembo;
Good morning to you sir, I hope your Christmas went fine and all in your world are well.

Thanks for sharing the photo of your son's build, it looks "just right" to me for sure.

While I've only fooled with two of Stuart's stocks, I was impressed with the quality and stiffness. One was my "walking around rifle" and it's just got it's 3rd paint job, but otherwise has performed perfectly.

Speaking of which, that's a fine paint job on your son's stock too.

Thanks again and all the best to you all in the New Year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rembo

That's a fine package!

WWP53D
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'd start with an action meant for one of the WSMs to get the bolt face w/o any mods. I'd prefer to have a 3 inch magazine over 2.8 inch. There are 3 I've worked with that will do it. 1) Rebarrel a Win 70 stainless / extreme weather. 2) Barrel / rebarrel a custom 700 clone .. something like the Christensen action which has dual extractors. 3) Rebarrel a Kimber 8400 WSM. All should work well, just depends on which action you prefer.

I don't really know which I'd choose.

The only .350 RM I've owned was a Rem Seven CDL.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I went with a long action Winchester pre-64 and a McMillan D'arcy Echols stock. I used a 24 inch lilja 1-12 barrel. I've settled on using a 200 grain nosler accubond at just short of 3000.fps.Loaded length is just short of 3.20. it weighs about 8.5 pounds and is very pleasant to shoot. I had Kevin Weaver of Weaver rifles build it for me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Redside; 12/27/21.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BC30cal
rembo;
Good morning to you sir, I hope your Christmas went fine and all in your world are well.

Thanks for sharing the photo of your son's build, it looks "just right" to me for sure.

While I've only fooled with two of Stuart's stocks, I was impressed with the quality and stiffness. One was my "walking around rifle" and it's just got it's 3rd paint job, but otherwise has performed perfectly.

Speaking of which, that's a fine paint job on your son's stock too.

Thanks again and all the best to you all in the New Year.

Dwayne

Dwayne,

Christmas was fine,.....except for the cold weather....minus 31C or minus 24 F...here right now.

Stuart installed and painted the above LH stock. Later this week I will be dropping off a factory Model Seven 350 for him to stock for me.

I've had a few of his stocks and they are great.

The build you have outlined sounds like a good one.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I built a 350 win mag on a left hand win 70 wsm. Best feeding rifle I have.

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A 700 short, with a Wyatt's 2.9x" box & follower.

Rembo's sons rifle looks hard to beat.

H
haazrob Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by rembo
I put this 350 Mag together for my left handed son a couple years ago.
Short 700 action. Benchmark 12" twist at 20", Wildcat stock, 2-7 Freedom in Talley LW's.
7lbs 4 oz, and no, it's not too light. Just right.

Nice looking gun!

H
haazrob Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by BC30cal
haazrob;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust you had a good Christmas and all in your world are well.

This is a bit of a timely thread in that I'm actually in the beginning stages of facilitating a build for a buddy in that chambering.

Buddy's rifle is an early 90's SS long action 700 with the factory removable mag system.

After contacting a few different Canadian gunsmiths, we've settled on Corlane in Dawson Creek for the job, in large part because they've done quite a few of them.

This is what we're doing and the rationale behind it.

It's getting a 1:12 SS Wilson barrel because they have them in stock and have had good success with them.

While they will do it on any action, if the customer doesn't supply one they usually do Tikka as the action isn't a short one and long monometal bullets can be seated out if that's what the customer wants for throating.

The smith I talked to was happy to do it in a long action Remington, but wouldn't do it without changing out the magazine system. We've chosen the lower priced option of a Kwik Clip which is a center feed as I understand it. The smith said he'd tune both magazines to feed perfectly before shipping it back to me. He insisted on doing that actually and that pretty well sold the owner and I on having these guys do the work as it's reasonably high on the list of things we'd like to see done.

Oh, should mention buddy is a geologist and as such wanders all over the north so Yukon, NWT, BC and Alberta. He'd like it to work if it's needed in a big hurry. wink

At this point buddy is thinking a 21" barrel will look "about right" and give the correct balance, this after me talking to the smith as well as his own ideas.

I'm not sure what he'll be using for optics, but will likely do a smaller 3x9 variable to start with.

He's looking for bullets now which are close to unobtanium up here, but I've located a couple boxes of 200gr TSX so we've got a start there. The smith is also or was also a part time guide and speaks highly of the 225gr TSX.

Hopefully that was useful to you or someone out there this morning.

Good luck on your build whichever way you decide and all the best in the New Year.

Dwayne

Dwayne. Thanks for your input. The longer action/magazine is definitely an advantage for your bullet selection. Rob

H
haazrob Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
I had a model seven cdl I put in an edge stock. With a leupold 4x I forget how light it was, but it was too light

If I were building one I’d do it on an action with a mag box longer than 2.8” and a barrel with enough meat to put some weight out front

Action of your choice, 23” 4 contour (Or 5 contour fluted) and a Remington classic McMillan standard fill would be about perfect. Tweak barrel length and Add optic to suit your intended use

I agree with you on all accounts!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My 350 Rem Mag is a Rem 700 with a deep glossy bluing that is 95-100%, original owner stuck it into that crime against humanity Hogue rubber stock that is totally hideous, gonna get it restocked soon as I find something that I like that is ready to ship,

Have some Hammer bullets ordered up including the new 140 gr Shock Hammer that will scream out of the 24" barrel

got some bullets on the shelf that I've sourced through multiple places online & in local shops over the past year and a half, including all the appropriate powders for said bullet weights

have cut down and formed brass from Lapua, Petersen & ADG 300 Win Mag brass along with Win brass in 264 Win Mag and RP 375 H&H brass , also have 200 pcs of new Nosler 350 Rem Mag brass

All systems go, just need to get rid of that Hogue rubber monstrosity

.... [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by saj
I built a 350 win mag on a left hand win 70 wsm. Best feeding rifle I have.

I did the same on a Classic Stainless, originally in 7mm WSM.

Hill Country Rifles in Texas did the work.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Redneck did the work for me. It shoots 225 Nosler partitions very good. I think the mag is 3.2 inches long. Plenty long for the 350 rem mag

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Swamplord
My 350 Rem Mag is a Rem 700 with a deep glossy bluing that is 95-100%, original owner stuck it into that crime against humanity Hogue rubber stock that is totally hideous, gonna get it restocked soon as I find something that I like that is ready to ship,

Have some Hammer bullets ordered up including the new 140 gr Shock Hammer that will scream out of the 24" barrel

got some bullets on the shelf that I've sourced through multiple places online & in local shops over the past year and a half, including all the appropriate powders for said bullet weights

have cut down and formed brass from Lapua, Petersen & ADG 300 Win Mag brass along with Win brass in 264 Win Mag and RP 375 H&H brass , also have 200 pcs of new Nosler 350 Rem Mag brass

All systems go, just need to get rid of that Hogue rubber monstrosity

.... [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Can't wait to see what you do with it. Agree on the Hogue.. Sheesh..

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
One cartridge I simply don't get.

The way life should be.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looks like the new Big Green is gonna try and make brass again for the 350 Rem Mag, would love to see it on the shelves again , Hooray ! or nah ?

scroll to bottom on the website for the treefitty brass

350 Rem Mag brass

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,818 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,388
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.