-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just curious how this scope performs. A lot of my hunting for whitetail is in close. My buck this year was 50yrds and every deer that came in was within bow range really. So the 3x on the low end of my scope is maybe not the best. I don’t do any long range stuff, I enjoy getting in close and out smarting the animal.

Rob
GB1

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I've looked through the V6 at some stores and thought it was alright, but have been trying to decide between it, the Leica Amplus, the Meopta Meostar R2 and the Leupold VX6 for ages now. After talking to some reps to get their opinion since they spend time dealing with em every day, I was convinced when they told me that the Leica and Meoptas were both better scopes for less money than the Zeiss and laid out their reasoning and recent frustrations with some of Zeiss's recent inconsistencies. I recently ordered the Leica and Meopta to compare side by side since nobody near me had either of the 1-6s in stock and here's what I found:

Build Quality: Definite win to Meopta here over the Amplus. The scope caps of the meopta are super solid and the knurling is very easy to grip. There are plenty of threads for cap engagement and you can feel the o-ring sealing on the Meopta, where the Leica caps really feel like they don't have enough threads to grab onto to tighten well (I'm sure they do, it just feels chintzy in comparison). The finish and style on the Meopta is slightly more matte than the Leica, giving a more military/ruggedized look vs the more reflective and refined glossier finish and smoother lines of the Amplus. Note: the Meostar R2 is quite long for a 1-6x scope, and the objective lenses is seated around 1.5" deep into the tube for whatever reason.

Mag Dial and Turrets: Another clear win for Meopta here. The magnification ring on the Meostar was smooth and very easy to manipulate while the Leica's was smooth but a little tighter and harder to move. I will say that in my personal experiences checking out the Meostar R2s that their magnification rings are my current favorite as far as a good mix between tension and smoothness goes over anything else I've toyed with, including Swaro Z8s, Zeiss Victorys, Leica's higher end Magnus line, and the S&B Polar line.
The turrets on the Meostar have a quite satisfying click that's not too hard to adjust, but oozes a feel of quality and robustness of the design. The Amplus turrets weren't bad by any means, but the clicks were a lot softer and felt more finesse in their design than the Meopta did.

Glass Quality: I didn't have enough time with both scopes to really put them through the ringer in a lot of different lighting scenarios to determine IF there was a clearly superior optic, but both of them seemed to trade blows and were on par with my Magnus 2.4-16x56 in terms of optical quality. It was easy to tell that the 56mm scope had higher resolution than the 24s at full magnification, but the quality of the image otherwise between them was fairly even, with the Meopta showing a bit of a higher contrast/sharpened image vs a warmer and smoother/natural image signature that both Leicas shared.

Eye Relief: Both scopes exhibited plenty of usable eye relief throughout the magnification range. The Leica seemed to be a little pickier about getting into the eyebox, but had very little tunnel-vision or black border around the edges once you got there. The Meopta seemed to give at least a partial image if you weren't lined up properly without much hassle, but with a little bit more of a black ring around the edge of the scope. I'd give the win to the Meopta here for usability, but it's honestly a matter of preference.

Reticle and Reticle Illumination: The only reticle you can get for the Amplus is their type 4 illuminated, while the Meopta has a few options. I didn't particularly care for the Leica type 4 reticle as the thick posts don't really come in quite far enough to be useful in low light in my opinion, just like my Magnus, but the illuminated dot is excellent, thus negating a lot of the need for the crosshair to be perfect. The Meopta type 4 comes in a lot closer which is more useful to me and its significantly thicker which I think would be more useful for lining things up in low light scenarios.
I would say the dot on the Leica is a tad smaller than the Meopta dot, but at full brightness it does give a bit of glare off the tube and bleedover into the crosshairs themselves, while the Meopta at max brightness is roughly the same level of intensity (I'd consider both to be daylight bright easily) but controls the bleedover and flaring quite well to the point I didn't really notice any.

I honestly believe any of these choices would suit you well for your application, but I'd definitely take a look at the Leica and Meopta as they're both a bit cheaper than the V6 on average, with my personal preference being the Meopta for the awesome build quality and magnification dial that I prefer.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the great comparison! Some info to think about.

Rob
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Zeiss V6 1-6 on my Krieghoff SxS, 30R Blaser. Had it for 8 yrs now, I have zero complaints about it, I'd buy another one. It's on Recknagel swingoff mount. Also have a Z3 1-4x24, I was impressed with it when I got it, but the V6 was another step up again for me, clarity and definition are impressive.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 270cowboy, 44 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.