Campfire Outfitter
Matthew says that Herod died.

Where did his immortal soul go?

Where did the babies go?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antlers
In religion, the gravitational pull is away from treating people well and toward some kind of rule keeping rather than relationship building. People sometimes create a religious belief where they’re right with God by following rules or rituals or traditions, and it’s OK for them to not treat other people well. They think going to church on Sunday, memorizing Bible verses, or not eating bacon makes them right with God. But, no matter what one does or doesn’t do, if one doesn’t treat other people well, then they’re not right with God.

Jesus made it crystal clear what the mark of being one of His followers is. A religion where rules and rituals and traditions replace the priority of treating other people well is the polar opposite of following Jesus, according to Him. People have been mistreated in the name of religion; and people have been mistreated in the name of Jesus. People have been rejected in the name of Jesus…when Jesus died for these people. I just don’t think Jesus is fond of it when self-professed ‘Christians’ mistreat people that He died for.

Jesus said that the thing that is going to distinguish you, the thing that should be a stamp on your behavior and a stamp on your lifestyle, is the way you treat other people. He’s telling us to love other people the way that He loves us. And not to substitute that for rules or rituals or traditions. He doesn’t want His followers to be characterized by and distinguished by rules and rituals and traditions. The priority of following Jesus is how we treat other people.

Oh my antlers. Was I inappropriate again?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Yes.
The violence visited on the Hebrews was punishment for their rebellion against God.

Would that be a loving god?

Yes. What would happen if you let your children run wild?

Violence would be the morally incorrect solution.

That was man's" solution " to the baby Jesus after the wise men / God's people approached Herod.
Love personified came into the world.
King Herod and all Jerusalem were troubled.
Herod murdered all of the toddlers and infants.
Guess what?

Well god did same in the OT, slaughter was all the rage back then. Actions of superstitious savages are hardly worthy of respect.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Are you holier than Jesus?

The people today who don't want to retain God in their knowledge treat children just like Herod did.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes.
The violence visited on the Hebrews was punishment for their rebellion against God.

Would that be a loving god?

Yes. What would happen if you let your children run wild?

Violence would be the morally incorrect solution.

That was man's" solution " to the baby Jesus after the wise men / God's people approached Herod.
Love personified came into the world.
King Herod and all Jerusalem were troubled.
Herod murdered all of the toddlers and infants.
Guess what?

Where is an independent account of Herods slaughter of infants?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Matthew 2

"And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.

13 And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.

14 When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:

15 And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.

16 Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently enquired of the wise men.

17 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying,

18 In Rama was there a voice heard, lamentation, and weeping, and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children, and would not be comforted, because they are not.

19 But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth in a dream to Joseph in Egypt"

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I understand the gifts paid for the flight to Egypt.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Matthew says that Herod died.
Where did his immortal soul go?
Where did the babies go?
Where did Herod"s soul go?, Paul's, Pilate's, Nebuchadnezzar's? Saul's? We don't know if they accepted God's offer of repentance through salvation. There are accounts that Pilate repented, he is a saint in the Ethiopian Orthodox tradition. There is no record that Paul recanted. Judas certainly seems to have repented. He realized he had done wrong, threw the money back at his co-conspirators, and was so distraught that he committed suicide. I fail to see how one could repent more than that. If you repent and are allowed to receive a heavenly home you might be surprised who is there with you and who is missing.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Too deep for me, I'll just Trust in Our Lord.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I really don't understand people that claim Christ didn't happen, and it's all a myth, but spend so much time trying to troll and ridicule people that are believers. If it is all a big scam and there is no God, then why do they spend any time from their short and only life here on Earth, reading post about Jesus and responding to them? I don't troll atheists or other religions, it never occurs to me. What do they gain?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I understand the gifts paid for the flight to Egypt.

No doubt that would have been handy if Joseph didn't have enough in reserve for the unexpected journey and stay in Egypt.
If this were the case, God's timing was perfect.

Symbolically the Gold represents Jesus' royalty as King of kings.

Frankincense was used in the Old Testament meat/ meal offerings. It started with Aaron and his sons. It was a burnt offering and also made into bread for the priests. It represents Jesus as the offering

Myrrh was used in the anointing oil as a main ingredient.
Not only the King's like David, but the priests were anointed.
Jesus is our High Priest that ever makes intercession for us.

It's a very interesting study.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by reivertom
I really don't understand people that claim Christ didn't happen, and it's all a myth, but spend so much time trying to troll and ridicule people that are believers. If it is all a big scam and there is no God, then why do they spend any time from their short and only life here on Earth, reading post about Jesus and responding to them? I don't troll atheists or other religions, it never occurs to me. What do they gain?

A good guess would be a bad experience with the church or religious people. I’ve always wondered if there is something deeper inside that nags at the mind. To invest so much energy on something that doesn’t exist is a curious thing.

Last edited by IZH27; 12/27/21.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

That is a good question that I had for quite a few years. When I studied the Reprobate doctrine, it started to make sense.
Romans 1 is God's list of what characteristics can develop in someone He considers Reprobate. They don't want so much as a real baby Jesus Christmas post the Christmas Sunday. Why would the guys on the top three quarters of the previous page do everything they can to criticize, debate, malign...?

"And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things..."

When I see someone exhibit those characteristics over and again, I Mark them down and reject them. Why?
They are not interested in the things of God. Some like to debate, but that's because it feeds their pride. It's not like having a conflict and establishing their reason for believing. They are hard core unbelievers who hardened their hearts against the good news and there's no convincing them otherwise. That's always been ok with me, it just saves time for others.
That's not good enough for them. They follow and malign and attack the messengers because they can't fight God's powerful Word. That's when they twist the truth and do everything they can to do their fathers will......intimidate believers and turn unbelievers from the gospel. They are unified by their fallen spirits who work as unified forces.
This is spiritual warfare and those spirits know it.
Bob Brown apparently got blasted as did Renegade for a time.
Praise the Lord! 🤜 🤛

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 12/27/21.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Happy, do you believe that every person that has not accepted Jesus Christ as their personal savior will burn in hell?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mirage243
Happy, do you believe that every person that has not accepted Jesus Christ as their personal savior will burn in hell?

It might help you understand my desire for others to come to know Christ if you understand that I take what He said very seriously.

"He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."
John 3:18, 36

That's His opinion as he expressed to a devout Jew who approached Jesus wanting to know more.
There are biblical reasons that I believe that children and those who are handicapped by a childlike mind are safe in the Lord.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

What about the monkey wrench of Matthew10:28?

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
So, other than children and retards, you are good with what I asked?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I expect there are hundreds of millions in the last 2,000 years that never heard of Jesus. Maybe there is something to reincarnation. Someone that is a PHD professor educated in economics and sociology told me a few years ago that there are now as many people alive on earth as the number of our human predecessors. I don't know that I believe that. Jesus sort of hinted at reincarnation. Maybe a chance for someone that missed out in a previous life. I don't know but God could do it.

Something else somewhat unrelated to this discussion I wonder about. Was Jesus married? He was considered a Rabbi and I do believe an unmarried man was not eligible to be a Rabbi. Another thing about Jesus that has me wondering is the virgin birth thing. The bible has two genealogies of Jesus listing Joseph as his link to King David. During Jesus' lifetime wasn't he thought to be Joseph's natural son? Did Jesus ever say he was not? Did the virgin birth claim arise later after his death and resurrection? He could of still been the Messiah even if conceived and born by conventional means.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Matthew 2

"And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.

13 And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.

14 When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:

15 And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.

16 Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently enquired of the wise men.

17 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying,

18 In Rama was there a voice heard, lamentation, and weeping, and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children, and would not be comforted, because they are not.

19 But when Herod was dead, behold, an angel of the Lord appeareth in a dream to Joseph in Egypt"

What is written in the Gospels is not an independent account.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

To question is not to ridicule. Everyone should question beliefs, especially one's own.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.