Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
How are the Weatherby Mark V rifles produced in Wyoming? I am thinking of buying a Weathermark in 257 Weatherby but want to hear whether or not they are worth the $1800 price tag. Never owned a Weatherby.

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally no they are not worth 1800.00 to me. I rather pay a little more and go custom at that price.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
No way I would pay $1800 for a Weatherby rifle as I have had too many Weatherby's that would not shoot, plus the "Weathermark" aint even stainless steel only coated Moly.....I am glad Weatherby moved out of California though 👍.....Good luck...Hb

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’m curious to know too. I’m thinking about a weathermark LT

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Weathermarks are in the 1300-1400 dollar range retail.

Internet BS being what it is Weatherby's get slighted sometimes and for some reason this site has more then a fair share of detractors.

I have lost count of the Mark V's I have owned in the last 30 years. Out of all these Mark V's I have not had one not shoot accurately, not a one. I did not handload for any of them and they were shot with Weatherby ammo and some Hornady ammo.

I have only sent one back and it was replaced by WBY, it was a 6 lug when that action was first marketed over 2 decades ago. Even though I sent it back it still shot beautiful groups, it had feeding issues. Everyone makes a lemon every once in a while , don[t get me started on Kimber, Remington and New Haven Model 70 classics'. Kimber is fading out in the bolt game, Remington went bankrupt and Winchester shut down US operations and has to make their guns overseas for them to be acceptable , Ruger 77's are decent rifles but RUger makes more making a Ruger American which I want no part of.

If had to buy a new rifle it would be a Weatherby, Tikka, Browning and or go the semi-custom route.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I havent seen one in the $1300-$1400 range. If you have a recommendation of where to look I would appreciate it. If I could find one for that price I would pick one up. Otherwise I will probably go the custom route. Thanks.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I picked one up last year in 6.5 rpm. Shoots great. In my mind it is a value . B & C stock, trigger tech trigger, fluted bolt, criterion barrel, MKV action 6 lug plus cerakote finish for $1399.00. I can’t put together a custom for that very easily. I’ve had two six lug MKV and both shot 1/2-3/4” 3 shot groups. There is Weatherby haters like there are Leupold haters on this site. To each there own. I’ve owned 4 weatherby rifles…. Two MKV and two vanguards, all shot very well.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Weathermarks are in the 1300-1400 dollar range retail.

Internet BS being what it is Weatherby's get slighted sometimes and for some reason this site has more then a fair share of detractors.

I have lost count of the Mark V's I have owned in the last 30 years. Out of all these Mark V's I have not had one not shoot accurately, not a one. I did not handload for any of them and they were shot with Weatherby ammo and some Hornady ammo.

I have only sent one back and it was replaced by WBY, it was a 6 lug when that action was first marketed over 2 decades ago. Even though I sent it back it still shot beautiful groups, it had feeding issues. Everyone makes a lemon every once in a while , don[t get me started on Kimber, Remington and New Haven Model 70 classics'. Kimber is fading out in the bolt game, Remington went bankrupt and Winchester shut down US operations and has to make their guns overseas for them to be acceptable , Ruger 77's are decent rifles but RUger makes more making a Ruger American which I want no part of.

If had to buy a new rifle it would be a Weatherby, Tikka, Browning and or go the semi-custom route.

+1

Always had good luck with Weatherby rifles. No complaints.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Subjective question... some people think they're worth it, they buy them. Weatherby wouldn't keep them around if they didn't. I've had many MK V's over the years, German ones, Japan ones, USA ones, in WBY and standard calibers, I consider them to be nice rifles. I am now in possession of my first Wyoming MK V, a Ti carbon in 257 WBY MAG. I got this in a large trade deal involving a bunch of stuff. Very nice rifle, fit and finish, balance, all nice. But I do have it in the classifieds right now, but not because I don't like it. Only because at this stage in my life/hunting career, I'm not really in need of a long range rifle. I, pretty much, like all firearms but can't afford them all at the same time, so I sell/trade wheel n deal and keep trying different ones out. I have my core group that stay put, but the rest are for playing with and then using them to acquire something else. All that being said, I would say they're worth a try, but that's just me and my subjective answer.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’d get a Rem 700 or Sako action, have a geed barrel installed, and put it in a good composite stock.
Mine is a Sako action, Shilen barrel, McMillan stock. It’s a 257 weatherby. Feeds perfectly and is very accurate.
It was Smithed by Jim Kobe.

Last edited by dale06; 12/26/21.

NRA Patron
IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I've got a Smith and Wesson 1500 Mountaineer, supposedly made on Weatherby tooling by Howa when WBY quit making it a long time ago, bought it in a bout 82. 270 Winchester, has dropped everything from Moose to Antelope, no feed problems, no issues at all. One recall for bolt issue that did not affect shooting, still shoots 1.5 MOA.. Can't go wrong I think.

If you aren't winning, you better be learning !
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
All four of my Mark V’s shoot sub-moa and my one Vanguard does also. Two kinds of Weatherby folks: Those who own them and the rest wish they did.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WAM
All four of my Mark V’s shoot sub-moa and my one Vanguard does also. Two kinds of Weatherby folks: Those who own them and the rest wish they did.

That’s a fact!! Haha 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by WAM

Yeah boy! I wish i had about a half dozen. I am soooooo jealous! 😂😂😂....Hb

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
And all the Mark V magnums were bought used due to some crying Karen not being able to manage the recoil, too brokedick to afford cartridges, or too lazy to reload. Or all of the above….. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WAM
And all the Mark V magnums were bought used due to some crying Karen not being able to manage the recoil, too brokedick to afford cartridges, or too lazy to reload. Or all of the above….. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

There is a lot of truth to that.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
I ordered a Mark V Weathermark LT as a late Christmas present to myself so I guess I will find out for myself. From what I’ve read on multiple forums the people that own Weatherbys generally love them and the people that hate them “had a friend” who owned one and it was awful.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yep find out for yourself, thats what i do...Sell it on the fire if you dont like it...good luck 👍....Hb

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I bet you love it. I like my Mark V Stainless and have confidence in that rifle.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (204guy, 1Longbow, 257Bob, 12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 57 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,992
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.