Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by DBT
Paul was not an eyewitness, he never met Jesus.
That is what you choose to believe.

I choose to believe otherwise. Paul was a fire breathing Jewish Pharisee who hated Christians with a passion, thinking he was doing God's work. He was one of the upcoming men in Judaism. Then he met Jesus. Many come to know Jesus through the Bible or by being convinced of the truth by friends or a pastor, or directly by the Holy Spirit. Paul met Him head on, getting knocked down in the dirt and slapped up side the head. Jesus knew what Paul was capable of and hand picked him to be the leading missionary of all time. Jesus also said that he would teach Paul what he would suffer for doing His work. And Paul did suffer. He was beaten and imprisoned. He was chased out of cities and came close to being murdered a number of times. In the end he was murdered by Nero.

This!^^^^^^^^^^

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some who profess to follow Jesus denigrate Paul and say he preached a religion that was not from Jesus. That's not true at all. Jesus came to the Jews and He taught a message specifically to them. All of the disciples were Jews because that's who Jesus came for initially. The OT says that the Jews would reject Him and that's exactly what they did. It was time to go beyond the Jews and Jesus picked Paul specifically to do the job.

After his conversion, Paul disappeared into the desert for 3 years. There are hints in the Bible that he spent that time being taught by Jesus personally. An apostle was, by definition, one who had been taught by Jesus to be a teacher and Paul claimed that title. When Paul came back, he was on fire and it never went out as long as he lived.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
Plato was a student of Socrates, Plato knew Socrates and personally wrote about the life of Socrates.
Somebody supposedly wrote something from 399 B.C.E. and you choose to believe it. You have no proof that it’s true, but you still choose to believe that it is. It was allegedly written by Plato and you choose to believe that. You have no proof that it was actually written by Plato, but you still choose to believe that it was.

I'm not convinced Socrates did exist, and believe it's more likely he did not. They story of his death doesn't read like history, it reads like fiction, similar to sacrifice of other fictional exhausted beings.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Paul was not an eyewitness, he never met Jesus.
That is what you choose to believe.

I choose to believe otherwise. Paul was a fire breathing Jewish Pharisee who hated Christians with a passion, thinking he was doing God's work. He was one of the upcoming men in Judaism. Then he met Jesus. Many come to know Jesus through the Bible or by being convinced of the truth by friends or a pastor, or directly by the Holy Spirit. Paul met Him head on, getting knocked down in the dirt and slapped up side the head. Jesus knew what Paul was capable of and hand picked him to be the leading missionary of all time. Jesus also said that he would teach Paul what he would suffer for doing His work. And Paul did suffer. He was beaten and imprisoned. He was chased out of cities and came close to being murdered a number of times. In the end he was murdered by Nero.

It's still not what I choose to believe. It's the multiple lines of evidence that supports the existence of Socrates. He is not only written about by Plato, his student, but others who have no skin in the game, no vested interest, Socrates is not their Messiah, not someone they worship like a Prophet or God, just a philosopher who taught in the Agora.

Which doesn't mean that Plato did not embellish the story or that everything that is written about Socrates is a hundred percent accurate, just that it's highly likely that there was a Socrates, a Philosopher who taught in the Athenian Agora;

''Let us start with the evidence in works written in Socrates’ own lifetime. This has an advantage in that these works are most likely to be first-hand accounts, written from a fresh memory and for an audience familiar with Socrates himself and before any tradition could have arisen of the “Socratic discourse” as a literary genre that could take liberties with history. . . .

The most important single source is the satire by Aristophanes in his comedy the Clouds, produced in 423 and followed by a second edition some years later where the poet tells us (II. 518 If.) that the first edition was not successful and where certain features, notably the debate of the Just and Unjust Arguments and the final burning of Socrates’ school, were either added or radically revised.

How far can a comedian go? Whether Aristophanes’ real target was Socrates himself, the subversive tendencies of the Sophistic movement, the apparent absurdities of Ionian “science,” or just ‘long-haired intellectuals” in general (and the contrasts we find so obvious between these various elements may not have been at all so obvious to their contemporaries), his selection of Socrates as his chief butt must surely mean that Socrates was known to a fairly wide audience, and vaguely associated with the “modem” tendencies.''

Plato and Xenophon have much in common. They both knew Socrates personally (Xenophon [Mem. III 6.1] mentions Plato en passant in a way suggesting considerable intimacy with Socrates.) . . . . .

Plato himself, as we have seen, is naturally regarded as our main source for Socrates, though only in his earliest dialogues. This does not, however, mean that nothing in the later dialogues can be used. The change in Socrates’ role in the dialogues is a gradual one and the fact that he is sometimes abandoned shows that Plato thought of himself as in some sense following Socrates for the rest of the time. . . .

Finally we come to Aristotle, our only substantial later source. Barring pure invention, whatever Aristotle tells us about Socrates must come from further sources, and his value to us depends on what these sources were, and on how reliably, and so with what purpose, he used them. If he had only the sources that we also have ourselves his value would be only that of a highly intelligent modern colleague; his opinion would be just one among others. But this does not follow if it turns out simply that everything he tells us can be traced to some otherwise available source. Such a conclusion might be disappointing but it would still be valuable for us if Aristotle chose his material from sources far exceeding those available to us now. It would show which sources he thought reliable on the point in question, and would suggest that the lost ones were either not among these or did not contradict those we have. That his sources did vastly exceed our own no one would doubt, and though it is only natural that he should make much use of Plato’s writings, there are many things he tells us-such as that Plato, not Socrates, “separated” the Forms, or that Plato’s earliest teacher was Cratylus which it is hard to see how he can have got from the dialogues.

There is other evidence discussed by Lacey but it is less direct than the points I have copied above. So we have the testimony of contemporaries, each presenting his own perspective, two students, one satirist ridiculing the great man.''

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
It's still not what I choose to believe.
Yes it is. Clearly.
Originally Posted by DBT
It's the multiple lines of evidence that supports the existence of Socrates.
You choose to believe what you’ve copied and pasted. Bart Ehrman believes the non-Christian historical record that mentions Jesus. And I believe the non-Christian historical record that mentions Jesus.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Jews were under the Law and Jesus represented that law. The Gentiles were NOT under it and never had been. Paul didn't teach the Law to them because it didn't apply to them. The Jews and Gentiles were entirely different and had to be approached differently. That's where the conflicts came. The other apostles (all Jews) were all under the Law and had to be taught that it didn't apply in the case of the Gentiles. It took some compromising before they accepted that fact. Peter ran into it head on when he met Cornelius. The idea that a Gentile could be a spirit filled believer shocked their systems and entirely changed the church. But, it prepared them for sending Paul out into the Gentile world. God used Cornelius to prepare them for what He was gonna to do.

It’s been said by some that Paul invented the things he'd done and how he'd been converted. However, Luke investigated carefully what he wrote in Luke and Acts. Luke didn't get his information from Paul. He got much of it from the people he talked to, eyewitnesses to the events. He would have talked to Ananias about how Jesus sent him to restore Paul's eyesight and how Jesus said that he would teach Paul what he must suffer for Jesus’ ministry. Luke has been called the greatest historian in history because of his thorough methods of investigation. His words can be trusted.

Some say they rely on the 4 gospels alone because that's what Jesus taught. That's fine if you're a Jew. The rest of us are not Jews. We're Gentiles and God sent us our message through Paul and the other NT authors. Everyone benefits from the 4 gospels, but us Gentiles also benefit from the rest of what God's telling us.

But even for the Jews, the Law was no longer necessary after Jesus' death and resurrection. Jesus fulfilled…as in ended…the necessity of the Law. He didn’t abolish the Law by fulfilling it...He just made it obsolete by fulfilling it. Jesus said that nothing in the Law would “disappear” until everything in it was “accomplished.” It ‘was’ accomplished, and then the Law began to disappear. Jews throughout the Roman world started abandoning strict adherence to the Law to follow the resurrected Jesus.

That transition came to an abrupt end on August 6 in AD70. Ancient Judaism ended…wholly and completely…signaled by the temple’s destruction...just as Jesus predicted. The Old Covenant wasn’t needed anymore...it had been fulfilled and replaced with a new, and better covenant.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Les Feldick, said Paul took the Gospel to the East, the religions of opium dens, not rights for women or any minorities.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Jesus fulfilled…as in ended…the necessity of the Law. He didn’t abolish the Law by fulfilling it...He just made it obsolete by fulfilling it.

That's just a bunch of word play.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
It's still not what I choose to believe.
Yes it is. Clearly.
Originally Posted by DBT
It's the multiple lines of evidence that supports the existence of Socrates.
You choose to believe what you’ve copied and pasted. Bart Ehrman believes the non-Christian historical record that mentions Jesus. And I believe the non-Christian historical record that mentions Jesus.

I copied and pasted useful information relating to why Socrates most likely existed. You ignored all that was explained in the article, only to repeat your mantra 'you choose to believe'

It is the evidence that counts, not belief.

The funny thing is, you don't appear to accept multiple independent accounts relating to Socrates - Plato, Xenophon, Aristotle, Aristophanes and others.....yet try to invoke the words of Josephus, who didn't know Jesus, had never seen him, wrote about what he had heard, some of which was modified by Christian Scribes to suit their ends, as evidence for the existence of Jesus.

Can you see the absurdity and double standard of taking this line?

Last edited by DBT; 12/29/21.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

we are all guilty of sin by choice.

No.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bristoe

No.

So the devil made you do it ?

Free will has nothing to do with it ?

I know youhave a reason for saying no just trying to figure why.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Like my doctor said about my heart event, the lucky ones have symptoms.

That may hold for sin as well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Houston_2

No.

So the devil made you do it ?

Free will has nothing to do with it ?

I know youhave a reason for saying no just trying to figure why.

The term "free will" tells us nothing about human behaviour, the means, drivers, how we are able to think, what we do think or why, or why we do whatever it is we do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
The funny thing is, you don't appear to accept multiple independent accounts relating to Socrates - Plato, Xenophon, Aristotle, Aristophanes and others.
Nope. Those are your words, not mine. I never made that assertion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Jesus fulfilled…as in ended…the necessity of the Law. He didn’t abolish the Law by fulfilling it...He just made it obsolete by fulfilling it.
That's just a bunch of word play.
Nope. But I’m cool with you believing whatever you choose to believe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
You clearly choose to believe the evidence that suits your agenda, and you clearly choose to deny the evidence that doesn’t suit your agenda.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

No.

Have you ever told a lie?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
The funny thing is, you don't appear to accept multiple independent accounts relating to Socrates - Plato, Xenophon, Aristotle, Aristophanes and others.
Nope. Those are your words, not mine. I never made that assertion.

It's based on what you said about independent sources that support the existence of Jesus.

Are you saying that you don't accept Josephus, Tacutus, et al, as being reliable?

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
You clearly choose to believe the evidence that suits your agenda, and you clearly choose to deny the evidence that doesn’t suit your agenda.

I don't believe anything, I look at the evidence. "Choose to believe" is your Strawman.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

No.

Have you ever told a lie?

I'm sure Bristoe has told a whopper or two in his lifetime, but it is definately your specialty.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 62 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,678
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.