Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Years ago my dumfuuk liberal uncle claimed that the Viet Cong could use 5.56/223 ammunition in their rifles.
Unlike during WW2 when we could use the German’s ammo in our rifles. I was a teenager at the time and had been taught to not publicly disagree with adults, but it was obvious to me that he didn’t know his azz from a hole in the ground.

A not uncommon thing to hear around SEA during my time over there was that the AK47 used the same ammo a the M-14, an idea spawned no doubt by the fact that both are 30 caliber.

A 7.62 bullet is a couple of thousands wider diameter than .308.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P.O. Ackley actually ran some tests in the early 1950's where he fired 8 X 57 rounds in a .30-06 Springfield bolt action. If the case neck could expand enough to release the bullet, that .323 bullet would swage itself down and exit the .308 bore without doing any damage. If the chamber throat was tight enough to grip the case neck tightly, the action would explode. He also wrote that the strongest actions of all the ones he tested were the Jap Arisakas- - - -they would survive multiple overpressure loads that would banana-peel plugged barrels, with no apparent damage!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by mathman
I've seen 300 Weatherchester brass. Or is it Wincherby?

I’ve told this one before. We have a bench at our hunting club and I went out one day to test some loads and found some cases with the double radius, Weatherby shoulder but with necks only about 1/4” long. WTH? was my first reaction but when I looked at the headstamp and it said, “300 Win Mag”, I figured it out but didn’t know who had done it.

I was talking to one of the guys in the club several days later and he said “So and So bought a Weatherby Mk V, 300 Wby and when the store owner told him the price of a box of ammo, he figured he could find it cheaper somewhere else.”

Well, our new Weatherby owner proceeded to Wally world and asked for “300 Magnum” ammo and the clerk sold him the 300 Win Mag ammo.

Weeks later, with the proper ammo 😁 “So and So” shot one of the largest bucks we killed on our lease that year.. He was so excited that while climbing out of the stand, he dropped the rifle and like a spear, it stuck muzzle first in the mud. 😳

He’s not hunting with us anymore.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Years ago a friend and I were in a gun store when he decided he needed some more 300 WM but they were out. The clerk tried to sell him a box of 300 H&H and told him it would be fine. He is lucky I was around.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ackleydave
Years ago a friend and I were in a gun store when he decided he needed some more 300 WM but they were out. The clerk tried to sell him a box of 300 H&H and told him it would be fine. He is lucky I was around.

That's one that would have been OK with a Weatherby.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I once saw a guy bring a bolt to the gun counter at our local WalMart. He said it didn’t work. The employee behind the counter took a bolt of out of another rifle and swapped with him. I learned quickly that the whole concept of headspace could not be explained to either of them. I’m sure glad I don’t have to shoot on a public range.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ackleydave

That's one that would have been OK with a Weatherby.

My bad I should have specified that it was a Winchester magnum

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was he a small guy with narrow shoulders and a head too big to be properly supported by his waif sized neck ?

Yeah, you saw Frank aka “Happy Glamper”

Soon he’ll be posting up how he saved an LG store from being blown to pieces by a guy with wrong ammo jammed in his rifle.

Wait for it.....

🙄🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Ha Ha! My buddy couldnt figure out what was wrong with his reloads for his 44 magnum. Damn brass just was torn up, and his groups were terrible. When he got home he finally figured it out, he had grabbed his 41 mag reloads. At least no one got hurt.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've seen 300 Weatherchester brass. Or is it Wincherby?

very short neck

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by cra1948
Out running errands, stopped at a lgs to check out consignments. While looking over a 6” Python with a sad reblue, I overheard the counter guy explaining to a guy that the problem was he was trying to use.308 ammo in a .30-06.

Better than .338F or .358W in a .30-06... I reckon.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not a guide but guided a guy from AK on a cow elk hunt here in the unit where I live. Put him on a herd of cows within 3 hrs of taking him out. A 75 yd broadside shot with a rest on a log and the cow just looks around at the mountain behind her, I couldnt believe he missed, so he takes another shot and missed again and they all run away. Next day, same thing at about 100 yds, rest on a tree branch, misses and they all run away.

So I had to work the next day and another of his hunting partners takes him out to check zero on his rifle and after 3 shots at a 4x4 piece of cardboard and cant figure out where he's hitting looks at a spent case. 7mm Mag in a 300 WMag rifle.

I didnt take him out anymore after that.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Last year I went to a local range on a Saturday I'm October. The range boss was someone I hadn't seen before.
-He asked what I was shooting and I told him "a .350 Remington mag."

-He replied very dismissively "You mean a .357 magnum??"

-I repeated "no, a 350 magnum."

-He said, "there isn't any such round."

I silently opened my range bag, and handed him an unfired round. He looked at it and said "I've never heard of this."

-I said "I know you were thinking I was a dumbazz but I guess...."

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
had a guy on my pistol range shooting, walked over and he threw a pistol in a 5 gallon bucket I thought nice way to treat your guns grab another one and in about 4 shoots he does the same. I stopped him and asked what's going on, he had four 45acp in the bucket that jammed with a loaded round not into battery he was shooting reloads and the primers weren't seated all the way. couldnt open it to clear it, he said he was going to take them home to clear them i told him you should do it here in the open and not in a house. he grabbed one of the jammed 45 and stated banging the rear of the slide on the bench I said stop, take them home to do that

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Lol.

Sadist. 😂😂😂😆😆😆

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Did you see the green flash too?

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I think that I found one of his cases at the range one day.

You live near Jell0?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by AZmark
I'm not a guide but guided a guy from AK on a cow elk hunt here in the unit where I live. Put him on a herd of cows within 3 hrs of taking him out. A 75 yd broadside shot with a rest on a log and the cow just looks around at the mountain behind her, I couldnt believe he missed, so he takes another shot and missed again and they all run away. Next day, same thing at about 100 yds, rest on a tree branch, misses and they all run away.

So I had to work the next day and another of his hunting partners takes him out to check zero on his rifle and after 3 shots at a 4x4 piece of cardboard and cant figure out where he's hitting looks at a spent case. 7mm Mag in a 300 WMag rifle.

I didnt take him out anymore after that.

Unreal.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Was at Walmart years ago and saw a guy buying ammo. The female clerk didn’t know a thing, so he turned to me and showed me a box of 375 Winchester ammo and asked if it would work in his 375 H&H. My answer was “It’ll work. Once.”

The bigger shock was how someone like him ended up with a 375 H&H. Obviously went to an LGS and asked for the most badass thing they had because he had to swing his dick when he went to his first moose camp.

I have a 375 H&H because my Alaskan guide felt my 280 was smaller than he liked for SE Alaskan black bears. The rifle was well received in Namibia. My point being on some hunts a 375 H&H is appropriate in the eyes of the guides. But then your view is likely accurate of the Walmart shopper.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
In high school went hunting with 2 buddies, cut afternoon class. I was shooting 7mag , my buddy was shooting his dads browning in 7mag, the other guy was shooting a 270 win he got from his grandpa . Anyways we split up and I heard a shot but it didn’t sound right . Walk back and meet up and my buddy is looking at his old man’s browning shaking his head. Says he had a buck at 100 yrds and took a shot but seen snow kick up at 50 yrds. Then he said he couldn’t get the bolt open..
However he done it he had grabbed a 270 shell out of the vehicle and put it in the magazine without knowing.
Not sure how it even fired but it did , took it to my dad and he managed to get the bolt tapped open and used a cleaning rod to knock out the case .
He done a quick check and figured action looked ok .
We never did tell my buddies dad and as far as I know he still has that rifle today.

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, don’t pet the sweaty stuff.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (06hunter59, 1minute, 257robertsimp, 270cowboy, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,543
Posts18,472,903
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.