Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
A nice visit is the Parker Gun Collectors Association Forum...Go to the Reproduction forum and look for the "Lets see some wood" post...

Killer examples...

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There are some very nice examples there but Photo bucket really ruins photos it once hosted.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Nice gun and dogs. Good on ya.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Shooting planted ditch chickens with my 28 and my Brit pointing them ‘just feels right’! As I ve gotten older I enjoy watching the dog work more than harvesting the bird!

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by Teal
Great pics!

My eyes suck - what's the shotgun?

I'm getting to the point where I'd like to start taking advantage of the good MI upland bird hunting and GEMS program they have. Basically I'd like a shotgun for grouse, woodcock, pheasant and bunnies and an older SxS has my interest but I know nothing about them. LC Smith vs Fox vs Parker etc. Learning and reading.

Was thinking 16 ga just to be different. Used to shoot 28 tho in clays for sub-gauge events and they are sweet for sure.

I am not too sure how deeply you have researched these fine old guns but having bought my absolute dream gun, an LC Smith Field grade Featherweight 16 gauge, this fall following roughly 4 years of internet research and hawking online auctions, hopefully I can provide some helpful insight.

The older guns (pre 1940) and even post in some cases, will typically have shorter chambers (2-5/8" 2-9/16" compared to modern 2-3/4"). This poses an issue because shooting modern 2-3/4" shells through these guns may spike pressures. I have shot light loaded 2-3/4 in a 2-5/8 model 1897 with no ill effect but obviously this is not advisable. Something to consider with these old girls.

When looking at old LCs, a lot of the times the stock will be externally cracked and repaired around the wrist from many years of shooting and poor maintenance. Guns may even be cracked below the side plates which can cause issues down the road because you think you've bought a fine piece only to have the stock crack all the way through after a season or two. There are ways to reinforce the lock area of the stock with agraglass kits and staples but IMHO I would reserve this for nicely patinaed shooters. Luckily, when I bought mine, the gunsmith onsite was able to take off the side plates and we inspected the stock together. Cleanest wood either of us had seen, so I pulled the trigger.

Older guns have a tendency for the rib to come loose. This is easily checked by hanging the barrels off your index finger by the hook and flicking the tubes from the chamber to the muzzle. A nice ring should be heard throughout.

Some of the older 16 gauge Foxes, I believe, were built on 20 gauge actions which make them quite light. I do not know much about parkers, although it seems they are quite a bit more expensive than the LC Smiths. I really like the elegance of the side plates so that's why I prefer the LC.

These old guns get addicting! I'm already keeping my eyes peeled for more. Hope this little bit of info helps you in your search.

-Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun-
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Glad you were able to break in your new Parker and able to down some pheasants so late in the season.

Thanks..And we tried one more time today. Spent 4 plus miles walking thru fields like this and didn't put a single Bird up..And only heard two shots in the distance.
The Hig, the new Black Cocker pup, got his first day hunting on his own and gave a good effort...Will take him to a preserve later on in the year.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Good picture of the boys. Higgy is growing up. Congrats on the beautiful new new shotgun!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

408 members (160user, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 163bc, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 37 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,652
Posts18,533,834
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.