Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
At my age I shouldn't be climbing trees, but I do and I think that I should have a harness of some sort. I've been using just a strap, but I think that I need an upgrade. Are you using one that you like?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a HSS Pro Series in 2X. I'm nearly 6'4" and almost 300lbs and it fits me nicely with room to spare. https://huntersafetysystem.com/coll...eld-realtree-plus-a-free-black-muff-pack

The harness that came with my Summit Goliath was unuseable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the one 10glocks posted. I have an older version of the same but the material faded to nearly white.

I currently use a Spider harness. It offers a bit more flexibility to go over whatever your top layer is (not tied to the shell of a built-in harness) BUT, it's easily a tangled mess when donning in the dark. blush blush
https://www.blockeroutdoors.com/tree-spider-speed-harness

For another layer in protection in ascending/descending, get yourself one of these for each stand:
Treestand lifeline

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What kind of sissies are you people? Tree harnesses are for liberal snowflakes.
Now if you’ll excuse me I have to go get my wheelchair serviced…..

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a somewhat simpler HSS rig. What you DON’T want is one of the Rubiks Cube rigs that typically come with treestands. Nothing futzes up your morning like a rasslin’ match with 20-odd feet of tangled nylon webbing. I put mine on at home and walk in wearing it, then remove it and put it in my pack for the walk out.

While you’re at it, get one of their safety ropes with a biner (two is better) on a prusik knot installed. The one with double biners lets you put your rifle on the second one, eliminating the need for a second pull-up rope. I’ve also used that second biner like a hook to snag the loop on my pack lying below so I could pull it up; also my bino (don’t ask!)

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We are all on the same page with that lifeline. $25.00 today at Cabela's for a green 35 footer. I know how to tie that Prusik knot, but this package has everything all together. Harnesses are really picked over right now, but Amazon is always an option.
Every time I'm in a tree stand I think about my buddy who fell asleep in his tree stand and broke his neck when he fell. His two sons found him days later doa.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Windfall
At my age I shouldn't be climbing trees, but I do and I think that I should have a harness of some sort. I've been using just a strap, but I think that I need an upgrade. Are you using one that you like?

I wear a HSS ultralight under my bibs and jacket since I have to have an orange vest on. Adjust everything once, quick on and off, much more comfortable than the ones that come with stands.

Less tangled mess as well.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have an HSS that I wear on "short walk" stands. It's comfy, very easy to put on, but is kinda heavy and has some metal buckles that can make a fair bit of noise if they hit or scrape against metal on a lockon stand.

I agree that the "from the box" harnesses that come with most take a good 45 more seconds to put on.....for me, it's worth it for how much lighter they are when I'm hiking up a mountain side. I'm not sure which stand the one I used the last 10 years came with but it's super light, comfortable, and simple....I actually prefer it to the HSS.

Last year and this year I've worn a Hawk hunting saddle even when I'm hunting from lockon's. I like having the ability to raise the tree stand seat and turn any direction while sitting in the saddle. I doubt I'll ever wear a regular harness again.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Originally Posted by SKane
I like the one 10glocks posted. I have an older version of the same but the material faded to nearly white.

I currently use a Spider harness. It offers a bit more flexibility to go over whatever your top layer is (not tied to the shell of a built-in harness) BUT, it's easily a tangled mess when donning in the dark. blush blush
https://www.blockeroutdoors.com/tree-spider-speed-harness

For another layer in protection in ascending/descending, get yourself one of these for each stand:
Treestand lifeline

I have a Muddy harness that I use when climbing trees and hanging stands which is about identical to the Spider that SKane posted. It is also prone to being a tangled mess when trying to put it on in the dark.

I won’t hunt a tree stand anymore unless it has one of the Lifelines that I can clip into on the ground before I start climbing.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As someone mentioned , the ones that come in a usual treestand box suck! I used a modified swiss sling from 1" webbing for years and then I went to a commercial type harness, forget the model. Anyhoo, I also modified an outer shell so I could put it on over my harness for one extra layer of warmth. I used to sit high in trees (25' plus) and loved it. I am a ground pounder anymore, still filling my freezer , but more pussified!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by troublesome82
I am a ground pounder anymore, still filling my freezer , but more pussified!

There's no shame in that.
I escaped a serious fall many years ago so safety is always on my mind. And if someone wants to label it as pussified, let'm label – I'll take "alive and/or upright" over any other names. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Using safety gear doesn't make you a pussy.

I only worked in a trauma ER a short time. I saw around a dozen life-changing tree stand accidents in that one ER over one deer season.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've been reading some reviews and it seems that the vest type might be a little less likely to get tangled up in itself, but that the strap version is lighter and less restricting. Reading here it looks like putting the thing on under outer layers back at the cabin with better light and mobility is probably the way to go.

There is a good tip on one of the sites about using that safety line and not holding that prusik knot going up and down. Instead grasp it below the knot for going up and above the knot coming down. If you fell, holding the knot itself would defeat how that knot tightens on the rope and it would slide.

My other auto is a .45

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Buddy put two lifelines up.
One on his hang on stand thats been in tree for years. Just adds ratchet straps to it as "needed".
Rod type steps grown in.

Tried to explain stresses and corrosion on old stand bolts etc.

Oh but that %$##@ safety line makes up for it. Damn thing in the friggin way.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The harnesses that come w cheaper stands pretty much suck too.
And w bad back and neck, getting even a better one on over layers is problematic.
Have screwed myself before a hunt, messed up for weeks.

So...........I use a belt. Yup, not as good as a harness in case things go to chit.
I wear it going in and clip in before getting into stand.

However, I don't hunt as high as I used to and have gone to more steps/ using sticks or ladders (or even ladder stands).

Lower and slower these days.
Hopefully skews the odds in my favor.

FWIW all my stands/sticks/steps are 2 yrs old or newer.
Like to pull em after season and keep out of the elements.
PITA but safer.

Last edited by hookeye; 12/31/21.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I use a harness years ago from a hunting related company and the harness is made my DBI Sala. They are a construction geared company and it has been excellent and, knock on wood, untested by me. I've worn it on hundreds and hundreds of hunts over the years. In fact I wore it today while I killed a doe with my ML'r from one of my Screaming Eagle stands. I love my harness (yup) and wouldn't for a the tea in China climb into a stand without one. And yes, I surely do use a lifeline and prussik hitch. EVERYTIME

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've wore a rock climbers harness with tether rope above me and prussick connecting the 2 for over 20 years. always stayed connected going up and coming down.

Recently started using a saddle with sticks or a modified climber with linesman belt and or tether rope with ropeman or prussick and loving the flexibility with the saddle.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I use what 10Glocks posted. I was an IL and WI Hunter Safety Instructor for years and a certified TMA treestand instructor. I've read too many incident reports of people not wearing a safety harness. One thing to remember and keep an eye on, there's actually and expiration date for safety harnesses.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dean, I've seen that too and just figured that it was cya from a liability standpoint. I've spent some time in the rubber industry and yes absolutely, rubber degrades over time because the plasticizers leach out to the surface, but Nylon strapping and buckles just worn during the hunting season and kept out of the sun I'd sure think is a pretty long wearing item.

That HSS Pro model is one of the heavier ones with lots of pockets, but a built in USB port...really? I'm thinking that I need something a little more utilitarian.

My other auto is a .45

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The concern is with the stitching, not the web material. At least that's what they drummed into our heads at the TMA certification class I attended.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 1lesfox, 62 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,464
Posts18,471,337
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.