Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My hip went south in a matter of days from no problems to I can't walk with without a walker. I'm scheduled for a hip replacement the beginning of March. The doctors, I got a second opinion, will not prescribe any pain meds other than over the counter motrin or ibuprofen. I have constant pain and cannot sleep or get comfortable. Any suggestions for an over the counter pain med? Thanks

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
My hip went south in a matter of days from no problems to I can't walk with without a walker. I'm scheduled for a hip replacement the beginning of March. The doctors, I got a second opinion, will not prescribe any pain meds other than over the counter motrin or ibuprofen. I have constant pain and cannot sleep or get comfortable. Any suggestions for an over the counter pain med? Thanks

Mike

Yes, consult with a different Doctor.
If you consult with any Doctor, on the pain scale 1-10 how do you feel? what is your level? You always need to be over a 7.

Gee some of these Dr's. need to have some compassion for people. Not everyone is looking for pain med to get high.

I'm in pain every day of my life. That's why I'm not sleeping right now at 2:15 AM I've had four spine surgeries plus ten others in my lifetime.
Wishing you all the best.

Last edited by Hammerdown; 12/31/21.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are some OTC pain patches out there that do help some. Heck, I've got two on right now.

You could try putting some heat on your hip area that is bugging you.

Take care

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
You can take up to 3500mg of Tylenol a day. try some Aleve.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Get rid of that jagoff doctor immediately. He's an uncompassionate, button-pushing, box-checking schlom.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
after xray and examination, any orthopedic doctor with a crap will provide script for oxy of some kind Mine did. Baring that though, it appears that taking a Tylenol along with an Ibuprofen provide more relief than either one of those taken by itself.

Sam......

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
That’s retarded. Get a different doc.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Never ever mix Tylenol with alcohol or you will need a new liver. Both my pharmacist and chiropractor know of many that ruined their liver in a week. I like Aleve myself .

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Damn doctors won't give you chit for pain nowadays. They think if they give you any opioid your going to be a heroin junkie within a week sucking dick in an alley for your next fix. As said try a different doctor. There are prescription NSAIDS way stronger than advil and the like they can try. One thing I would suggest is Voltaren gel. Recently became OTC topical pain relieving gel. Works fairly well no odor.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As Mannlicher said ,arthritis strength Tylenol along with an Aleve every 8-10 hours . That's about the best you can do with OTC stuff. Try ice instead of heat, as heat helps to induce swelling and pressure on nerves.

Some OXY would be the ticket. As bad as I hate to say it you might have to change Drs. to get a script. Lie to that sucker about your pain if you have too. It sounds like you don't need too though.

With the Opioid crisis going on Drs. are under a lot of scrutiny when writing Opioid scripts.

One of my best friends wife had to get up in her Fathers Doctors face a year or so ago. Keep in mind she is a very much a lady and mostly quiet type person.
Her dad (90YO) had shingles on his face and was in excruciating pain. The Dr. would not issue a script for any pain meds. She basically called him some not so nice names really loud and ask him did he really think that at this point, being 90 years old, did it really effing matter if he became addicted to pain killers? She left with a 90 day script and two refills for her father. Ha, you go Mitz!!.

OP sorry for your pain. Getting old ain't for wimps.

Last edited by Featherweight6555; 12/31/21.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
IC B3

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Have your Dr give you Diclofenac

https://www.drugs.com/diclofenac.html

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ditto on the Aleve with Tylenol, but not on an empty stomach.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Careful with the Diclofenac. Used it for 2 years before my knee replacement. Worked wonders on the pain but am now at 30% Kidney function.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Diclofenac no more than 100mg per day

50mg 2x a day

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you're going to use Aleve, don't buy Aleve. Look for Naproxen Sodium instead, sometimes called Naprosyn. You can buy it OTC, just like Aleve, but a lot cheaper. You can typically find larger bottles at a good price at Sam's Club, Costco, Walmart, etc.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would try and see if you can get it done sooner. You will be shocked once the procedure is done. I’m a year out from my replacement and I feel great no pain.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
did the docs give you a reason as to why they wont prescribe pain meds?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
4 advil, 800mg every 8 hrs works well. Have to watch to much ibuprofen though, can cause GI bleeds

Romans 5:1
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Research the surgeon you are using. Get the best one in your state to do your surgery. If there isn't a good one there, go to another state.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by local_dirt
If you're going to use Aleve, don't buy Aleve. Look for Naproxen Sodium instead, sometimes called Naprosyn. You can buy it OTC, just like Aleve, but a lot cheaper. You can typically find larger bottles at a good price at Sam's Club, Costco, Walmart, etc.

"Equate" brand is one brand of Naproxen Sodium . They also do Acetaminophen . I laugh when people tell me how good a " Goody's" powder works for headaches. I always say "do you know what's in a Goody" powder"? To which the reply is almost always the same . "No" . I then tell them it is, 2 regular strength Tylenol (650 mg total), one aspirin (325mg., and about 1/3 of a cup of good coffee (32 mg of caffeine) . Most have no idea. FTR
,my best friend is a pharmacist.

Crazy to buy name brand drugs, aspirin is aspirin...

Last edited by Featherweight6555; 12/31/21.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 16 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,949
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.