Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
A simple question, but a few conditions.

No talk of the reasons why you wouldn't buy one. You cannot reload for it. No expensive scope or aftermarket trigger or stock. No barrel treatment.

This isn't a long range rifle. 300 yd max. Most hunters don't take game that far, but we need a max. range.

[Linked Image from rangehot.com]

You walk into Cabelas and say, "I'll take that 30-06 Axis, a 3x9 Bushnell scope and the cheapest box of Remington 165 gr Core Lokts you got."

What is acceptable? 1 or 2 inch groups at 100 yd? For me, because of CNC machining and ammunition improvements, I think 2 inches at 100 yards is just fine.

I wonder if that 30-06 Remington 700 from 1970 and a box of 1970 Remington ammunition would shoot as well as today's rifles and ammunition?

Have we improved?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thinking about your conditions, I don't know if anyone here would have have any experience

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMHO, Most guns shoot better than the person pulling the trigger.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think today's rifles and ammo are better.I remember long ago when Weatherby used guarantee their rifles would shoot 1 1/2" groups or better with their factory ammo.It seemed fairly common for the norm was that or greater for most rifles and ammo.If you got better you were really happy.If you handload you could usually get better.I think a good rifle today should shoot and inch or less.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
IMHO, Most guns shoot better than the person pulling the trigger.

Mine do, ain’t as good as I once was, probably never as good as I thought I was. Wifey says I’m a legend in my own mind!

Last edited by hanco; 12/31/21.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

No talk of the reasons why you wouldn't buy one. You cannot reload for it. No expensive scope or aftermarket trigger or stock. No barrel treatment.

This isn't a long range rifle. 300 yd max. Most hunters don't take game that far, but we need a max. range.

You walk into Cabelas and say, "I'll take that 30-06 Axis, a 3x9 Bushnell scope and the cheapest box of Remington 165 gr Core Lokts you got."

What is acceptable? 1 or 2 inch groups at 100 yd? For me, because of CNC machining and ammunition improvements, I think 2 inches at 100 yards is just fine.

I wonder if that 30-06 Remington 700 from 1970 and a box of 1970 Remington ammunition would shoot as well as today's rifles and ammunition?

Have we improved?

If you are OK with a 2 in. group at 100yds, then that combo should be ok for your expectations. My nephew bought the same rifle/scope combo in 6.5 Creed for his girlfriend. It shot 1.5 inch groups out of the box with factory ammo. I know its a different cal. but I have not shot one in 30 06.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every one of my factory inexpensive rifles handloaded will shoot .5 inch. With factory ammo it all depends what the rifle likes so a lot of experimenting. But I noticed that cheap Remington and Federal shoot the best groups.

Last edited by duke61; 12/31/21.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was able to get the rifle mentioned above to shoot .75 inches with 140 Berger VLD's. thats all I tried. and thats good enough for now.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Steve your assumption that anybody can shoot a 1 moa group is not valid. That simple....mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Agree with MB

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Steve your assumption that anybody can shoot a 1 moa group is not valid. That simple....mb

I did not say that.

What is acceptable? 1 or 2 inch groups at 100 yd?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Why anyone would waste their time conversing with Steve Redgwell is beyond me.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Not gonna get into whether or not Steve assumes everyone can shoot MOA. Don't care.
I will say that after taking several (lots) of friends and guys I work with shooting over the years , Also working in a gun shop for over two years back in the early 90's , I can say without a doubt most people cannot shoot nearly as good as they think they can.
Most of the guys on here , I'm sure are above average at a minimum.
Back when I use to be a fairly good shot . I was shooting 2-300 rounds of hi power rifle a month. Not a lot by some standards but more than some "rifle shooters" in a decade or more.
Soo back to my original statement of "Most guns shoot better than the person pulling the trigger" .

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston
Why anyone would waste their time conversing with Steve Redgwell is beyond me.

You ain't kidding. He wrote the book on moron.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Not gonna get into whether or not Steve assumes everyone can shoot MOA. Don't care.
I will say that after taking several (lots) of friends and guys I work with shooting over the years , Also working in a gun shop for over two years back in the early 90's , I can say without a doubt most people cannot shoot nearly as good as they think they can.
Most of the guys on here , I'm sure are above average at a minimum.
Back when I use to be a fairly good shot . I was shooting 2-300 rounds of hi power rifle a month. Not a lot by some standards but more than some "rifle shooters" in a decade or more.
Soo back to my original statement of "Most guns shoot better than the person pulling the trigger"

I don't think that everyone can shoot MOA. It's a question about what people expect from an inexpensive bolt gun. I agree with your statement about most rifles being more capable than the shooter.

I suppose this is where the question goes off in another direction, but do people expect better accuracy with rifles/ammunition built in the past 10 or 15 years? Some people decry the use of today's plastic stocks, less steel and other manufacturing changes, but to me, off the rack rifles seem to be shooting better than pre CNC builds. I know they aren't as pleasing to the eye, but performance has improved.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Am just happy to hit the target, regardless of what really old curmudgeons opine.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Am just happy to hit the target, regardless of what really old curmudgeons opine.

That's the spirit! Kinda' the same approach I take......... whistle

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Have we improved?

I think if I couldn't shoot MOA or a little more after setting that rig up there's something wrong. As MD said in one of the Gack books accuracy can be pretty inexpensive today.

I don't think it's a waste of time communicating with you.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I suppose this is where the question goes off in another direction, but do people expect better accuracy with rifles/ammunition built in the past 10 or 15 years? Some people decry the use of today's plastic stocks, less steel and other manufacturing changes, but to me, off the rack rifles seem to be shooting better than pre CNC builds. I know they aren't as pleasing to the eye, but performance has improved.

I'm going to give a bit more credit to newer bullets. It seems to me older rifles can be made to shoot better with newer bullets.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't know. The Remington 788 I had back in the '80's was a .5 MOA rifle with handloads and under 1 MOA with factory loads of the day. Kind of a homely thing at the time but almost handsome in comparison to todays plastic fantastic junk. Had a couple of Savage 340's and 110's back in the day that were nearly as accurate. Again not handsome rifles but not horrible compared to the likes of the Ruger American or Savage Axis either.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

287 members (1lessdog, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 38 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,764
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.