Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#16785406 12/31/21
S
SRPI89 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I was looking for a Kimber 84 select Grade. Because I’m a new member, I can’t send or receive DM’s, so I put my cell on. I received an offer in line with the price I was looking to pay- pictures were sent as requested. Clue #1 was he ended his description with “Theron”. He wanted to use Zelle, which I don’t have but my wife does. I was at a post funeral beer drink, and agreed to buy and had my wife send him the $. Clue #2 was his name and email did not contain “Theron”, but I was trusting. I’m an idiot, I know. Next day, he said he would ship and provide tracking. No tracking, no response and when I call, it’s a strange vm greeting. No strange wording or additional clues other than he was overly polite. First time I’ve been duped in probably 30 transactions on forums. Live and learn

Scammer info:
Name: Timothy Pitts - aka “Theron”
Email: biggen7193gmail.com
Phone: 530-430-7965

If you Google the name and email address, it shows him in AL- with all the tech out there now, I can’t guarantee that’s where he is or if it’s someone hacking unsuspecting email addresses

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That sucks. Sorry to hear...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Phone line contact info is hidden. But it is a "domestic line". Sorry and good luck. Contact your local police dept. If they haven't been defunded.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
call your credit card company, maybe they can help

There are a lot more ½" rifles than ½" shooters.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't do electronic payments but I have had FAR better luck with a check than USPS MO's and hear stories of scams with electronic payments far too often. Checks do slow things down due to snail mail but I have never been ripped off that way. Just saying..........I am sorry that you got scammed. Many, many good folks on here but every once in a while a dirtbag slips through.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That really sucks.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
He joined in 2011 and has 0 posts to show.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Damn. This is why I never post WTB ads. Just about every time I end up getting scammer responses.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sucks sorry this happen

2 days before Thanksgiving I got it
I actually got my $$ back
But looking back I should have seen it coming
Thanks to a member here he made me aware and I got on it asap
I think that helped

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s getting really bad. Unfortunately there is really no repercussions for these scum bags. If I’m buying a big ticket item I’ll get a phone number and talk to the individual about the item before I send money now.

You ain't about that life.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I come an Ace of getting scammed. Just before Christmas I went to a very sophisticated ecommerce website under Christiansen arms. I even ordered the rifle and the next morning tried to pay for it through a Zellle account which is all they accepted I didn't have a Zelle account so I called Christiansen arms and asked if there was another form of payment they said it was a scam. If you can get his address you may want to submit to local LE. It may not do any good, but at least they (LE) will have him on a scum bucket radar and they may pick him up for something unrelated, anything to get a little retribution.

Last edited by j2dogs; 12/31/21. Reason: Spelling
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Rule #1 - always ask for something special to be included in the pictures that are sent. For example, ask them to put a note with today's date under the gun. That way you know that it is actually them taking and sending the pic rather than just sending one they stole from a Gunbroker ad. If that doesn't work, or you forget, always do a Google image search on the photo.
Rule #2 - Never use Zelle (or any other electronic payment site) to pay for firearms or ammo. If a good old fashioned check or MO isn't good enough, than neither is the deal.
Rule #3 - If it is more than a couple hundred dollars, call and have a chat. Have questions ready (written down) that will require them to have the gun in hand to answer. For example: Know what markings on the firearm are used to signify date of manufacture and then ask them for that information. Ask for the Serial Number. Most auction and forum posts have those blacked out in the pictures. If anything feels off during the conversation, thank them and hang up. Look for what you want somewhere else.

Hope these Rules help someone to not get scammed.

And to the OP, you can always call Zelle and let them know that you got scammed on a firearms purchase. Zelle's user's agreement specifically states that you cannot use it for Firearms. Hopefully, they will cancel this d-bags account and make it a bit more difficult for them to scam someone else.

Last edited by HandgunHTR; 12/31/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am sorry that happened to you

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
Rule #1 - always ask for something special to be included in the pictures that are sent. For example, ask them to put a note with today's date under the gun. That way you know that it is actually them taking and sending the pic rather than just sending one they stole from a Gunbroker ad. If that doesn't work, or you forget, always do a Google image search on the photo..

Now they are using Photoshop to add a written note or whatever is requested. Some of the pics look very authentic

Live and die by the Browning...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
After they send the initial run of pics ask for something special.

If they can't produce a pic of a certain part of the gun you know they are shifty bastards.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And theres asshats who like to come out and argue when sone in here try and out these fuggers. They all go on ignore for me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Tigerluty?

Theronreynolds45?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have you contacted Zelle? When you tell them it was a gun, they're probably going to cancel your wife's account. BUT if they're like PP, they'll also probably freeze the funds on his end too. No clue if they'd help you get it back after violating terms of service, but no one with money is better than him with money.

I use Venmo and PPFF for stuff on both ends. Haven't had an issue yet. But as others have mentioned, for really big stuff, a phone call or even extended PMs can help quite a bit. Scammers are usually pretty dumb, so if you give them a chance, they'll tip you off.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Exception to what I said above was the fake Chistiansen Arms site. That was unbelievably elaborate.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1badf350, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,166
Posts18,503,067
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.