Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
5sdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I have many shortcomings. Among them is my failure, when angle-parking my truck, to not seek out a spot where I can be directly to the left of a car so that the driver of same can't see approaching traffic when backing out. I never had formal training in this matter, so perhaps I can be cut some slack.

(Just got back from uptown with the wife's car.)

Last edited by 5sdad; 12/31/21.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Many spots are easier to get into, than out of.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All that matters is I can see.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never had a problem parallel parking my F-350 with an 8’ft bed downtown. Enough space to fit my truck - truck went into the space.

#Hero

LOL

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hate angle parking.

Back in or drive through spots so I don't have to back out.

And I always try to park where someone can't park on the left side of me when possible. Fuggers that can't park a proper distance from another person's vehicle suck. I'm not a 90lb weakling. And I need room to open my door to get into a vehicle.

Fuggin' parking lots are designed nowadays for midget cars too, like the ones 47 clowns get out of.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Never had a problem parallel parking my F-350 with an 8’ft bed downtown. Enough space to fit my truck - truck went into the space.

#Hero

LOL

🦫

'54 Chebby BelAire. No power steering, probably 16' long. It's what boomers like me learned to drive in, and pass the DMV test, which in the olden days required parallel parking.

Curb feelers helped!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember those “curb feeler” my dad called them cat whiskers.

Long, long, time ago.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My Dodge pickup is 4 door and long bed. Luckily it's high enough see over other cars when I'm backing out. Normally I park out a ways in the lots to make it easier to get in and out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My crew cab Frontier with a windowed canopy only has one blind spot. Its just behind the rear window about two feet back till the canopy window, and exactly where I need to see backing out of the angle slots in town here. The 1970s called they want their stupid parking design back. Parallel parking mo better IMHO

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have Nana’s handicap thingie

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord

Handier than a button up shirt pocket.

Speaking of nannas I release my inner old fuqk backing out of the angle parking. Just go slow and listen for honks

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Salty303
Originally Posted by slumlord

Handier than a button up shirt pocket.

Speaking of nannas I release my inner old fuqk backing out of the angle parking. Just go slow and listen for honks

Park longways in that retard van slot at the walmarks. nicca we bounce ouwt

#VIPbaby

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Many spots are easier to get into, than out of.

Just ask any girl voted "most popular"

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I hate angle parking.

And I always try to park where someone can't park on the left side of me when possible. Fuggers that can't park a proper distance from another person's vehicle suck. I'm not a 90lb weakling. And I need room to open my door to get into a vehicle.

Fuggin' parking lots are designed nowadays for midget cars too, like the ones 47 clowns get out of.

And the fix is simple, paint the parking lines at a 45 degree angle, longer vehicles fit in, and it is easier to egress.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART
I hate angle parking.

And the fix is simple, paint the parking lines at a 45 degree angle, longer vehicles fit in, and it is easier to egress.

I don't think the parking or traffic engineers were/are smart enough to think of that type of solution.

And the business owners/Chamber of Commerce are only concerned with how many cars they can get in the business district. Parallel or 45 degree parking cuts down on potential customers. Body shop owners probably have a lobby for squeezing in more cars too, not to mention the City can get a few more meters in that way too.

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I don't think the parking or traffic engineers were/are smart enough to think of that type of solution.

And the business owners/Chamber of Commerce are only concerned with how many cars they can get in the business district. Parallel or 45 degree parking cuts down on potential customers. Body shop owners probably have a lobby for squeezing in more cars too, not to mention the City can get a few more meters in that way too.

One of the parking areas next to the Bridge St Mall in Ballarat has the angled parking (not 45 degrees) and it is a heck of a lot easier to park in.

This one.
[Linked Image]

And across the other side of the mall the clowns did this, which is a pain in the arse to manoeuvre around.
[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have no real issues with you guys with the big long pick ups.. 4 door, long bed, 1 ton diesel dualie, 6 inch lift, Monster mudders....

I always park in the far south 40 of the parking lot, and walk into store.....instead of anyone who has to always park as close to the door way as possible...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART

One of the parking areas next to the Bridge St Mall in Ballarat has the angled parking (not 45 degrees) and it is a heck of a lot easier to park in.

This one.
[Linked Image]

And across the other side of the mall the clowns did this, which is a pain in the arse to manoeuvre around.
[Linked Image]

Now, that first one looks right smart, it does.

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The problems are created by architects and developers and indirectly by municipalities. The cities have by-laws stipulating the number of parking spaces required, usually dictated by the square footage of the building. Consequently the architects/developers try to squeeze in the maximum number of parking spaces by whatever means possible given the space available without the need to reduce the building footprint. Depending on the dimensions of the space available for parking it may dictate the design i.e. 90 degree vs. 45 degree or variations thereof.

Obviously the end result may have no relation to what the owner or architect would prefer to have.

Jim

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B