Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I was lucky enough to get a buck and doe permit for my UP hunt this year. I shot a doe that went 218 lbs. They are giants compared to our coastal Virginia deer!

I got an 8 point as well up there. Had a great season!

GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’d say 190-200, but I ain’t worth a cshit at guessing weight. We all put a buck in a pot at deer camp, guess weight of pigs. I’ve never won, farm boys from Waller win every damn time.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Prolly lots of big girls on the UP…… 😂

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by erich
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Wow. I’m glad the deer here are nowhere near that size. One of those and I would be done for the season.

IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
The doe's weight? My guess 240lbs on the hoof...the hanging buck? 250lbs dressed weight...Those are no Texas deer for sure. Northern Woodlands species are my kind of Whitetails 👍....Hb

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Somewhere between 200 and 250 walking. Also not convinced it is a doe. Not a total slickhead look to me. But also not certain it could of dropped antlers either. Could be a very large very small spike buck.

Area I hunt in far NE Wi is only about 35 miles from the UP. There are some big bucks but overall antler genetics suck. Everyone bitches about shooting young deer and not giving them a chance to grow a nice rack. Sorry but a buck with 3 inch spikes that dresses over 200 is not a young deer. Very common to see spikes and forks hanging that are just absolute cows. Even right after the rut they are fully muscled and still carrying a layer of fat. Nearly every spike or fork I see harvested will have a racked buck beat in body size by 25 to 50 percent.I have seen spikes in the area that honestly are similar size to small cow elk.

Think lack of headgear makes them no competition for the few large racked deer and they don't get very involved in rut activities. They also tend to put a lot of age on as most of the spikes are barely legal. One antler three inches or more. Mainly pressured public land usually minimal time to look over the "rack". Very few doe tags so not many get shot "accidentally" as people are afraid to pull the trigger with no doe tag to fall back on. Nearly all the spikes our group has shot we thought were does. We had tags and were meat hunting, but initial assumption was doe.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Somewhere between 200 and 250 walking. Also not convinced it is a doe. Not a total slickhead look to me. But also not certain it could of dropped antlers either. Could be a very large very small spike buck.

Area I hunt in far NE Wi is only about 35 miles from the UP. There are some big bucks but overall antler genetics suck. Everyone bitches about shooting young deer and not giving them a chance to grow a nice rack. Sorry but a buck with 3 inch spikes that dresses over 200 is not a young deer. Very common to see spikes and forks hanging that are just absolute cows. Even right after the rut they are fully muscled and still carrying a layer of fat. Nearly every spike or fork I see harvested will have a racked buck beat in body size by 25 to 50 percent.I have seen spikes in the area that honestly are similar size to small cow elk.

Think lack of headgear makes them no competition for the few large racked deer and they don't get very involved in rut activities. They also tend to put a lot of age on as most of the spikes are barely legal. One antler three inches or more. Mainly pressured public land usually minimal time to look over the "rack". Very few doe tags so not many get shot "accidentally" as people are afraid to pull the trigger with no doe tag to fall back on. Nearly all the spikes our group has shot we thought were does. We had tags and were meat hunting, but initial assumption was doe.

It’s a doe.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This one had a girth of 43.5"...figure 230lbs. Id say that does a touch smaller, not by much tho.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice buck Pahick!...Is that a Pennsylvania buck?.....I'd say your real close on his weight..My Brother-in-law killed a 10 point in Northern Penn that weighed 241lbs field dressed and it looks about the same size as yours ....Hb

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Nice buck Pahick!...Is that a Pennsylvania buck?.....I'd say your real close on his weight..My Brother-in-law killed a 10 point in Northern Penn that weighed 241lbs field dressed and it looks about the same size as yours ....Hb

Yup. 2011 in northen PA.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah you got to love those Northern Woodlands Whitetails 👍......Congrats!....Hb

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Mike7mm08

I know what you mean by body weight. I seen a spike on the opener that was huge. I thought my mind was playing tricks on me because I seen him right at first light. It wasn’t until I seen three does come by 30 mins later that convinced me I wasn’t nuts. No way in hell that spike was 1.5 years old.

My property has some bucks on it but only one with a rack that was worth getting out of bed for. I’m starting to think that I’m going to hunt deer based solely on body size versus antler growth. Because I have seen some really large deer with less than impressive racks.

I have only had this property for two years so I am learning. It’s all fun no matter what.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
RAS really comes down to genetics. With your own property you will see that over time. So many experts preach age and food. They discount the fact that some areas just have crap genetics.

I hunted a large tract of private for about ten years. I am no trophy hunter but would like to take nice buck one of these years. So I was running a bunch of trail cameras on the property to see what was around. Buck sign was very minimal. Cameras told the story. Basically the buck to doe ratio was probable close to 1to10. Bucks had no reason to to maintain scrapes or rub lines. I had pictures of 36 different bucks that body features put age at 3 1/2 or older. Four of those deer got me slightly excited one was true trophy. Rest were all narrow inside the ears trashy sixs or eights at best.

But like you I said it's all fun no matter what. I did not worry what was around. I shot whatever mature deer that presented a clean shot when I felt like gutting and butchering one.

More trophy hunters need to take a page from the hunters of the northeast Maine, Vermont etc. Racks don't matter, a mature deer of large body size hopefully breaking 200 pounds dressed is a real trophy.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
No offense. But guessing weight off of a picture of a deer with nothing around for size reference is a act of futility as it relates to accuracy.

And with intentional/unintentional forced perspective it’s even more difficult.

Example-No offense pahick but your standing arms length behind that deer. As evidenced by right arm is held out touching the deer. Doesn’t look like intentional or anything. Was probably last thing on your mind at that moment. It’s a nice buck, but it makes that deer seem bigger than it is in relation to you. Therefore giving the illusion it is bigger than it is. And I’m not saying your estimation is wrong either. See this all the time though

Get a accurate scale and start weighing every deer you kill. You will be happy you did. It’s humbling

My Tn buck weighed 122lbs field dressed at 7.5yrs old by tooth and our history with him. Well known to us
Everyone was guessing 150-160 dressed

My Ohio buck 244lbs live weight. Tooth and history 5.5yrs old. Everyone was guessing 180-200 except one guy said 285lbs.

Last edited by kevinJ; 01/01/22.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This one looks big to me. Taken near Monson Maine a few years ago

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bill_N

Day-um!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Neighbor had a buck eating along side his cattle from a feed trough. That buck got very heavy.
I think his 270 did it in.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
He looks like a toad to me,

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bill_N

That is a giant! I would rather get that buck as he stands vs one 50lbs lighter with a bigger rack.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 16 invisible), 1,937 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,894
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.