Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I have this thing where I don't have any regard for money.

Thankfully my wife does.

My kids will get everything. I will be gone anyway so it won't matter.

Its just stuff.

Your house might be on my short list, seeing as how there is video evidence your kids enjoy shooting.

AND, somewhere around here I have your address. wink

Happy New year to the Conrad bunch.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
The last couple years my dad was alive he'd ask about specific guns, one or two at a time. Some I said "Yeah, I definitely want that." Others had either no sentimental attachment for me or were valuable enough to make me feel bad about expressing any interest in taking them. Above all, asked him to write down what he wanted to go to who. He kept saying "Just keep what you want and sell the rest so your mother gets some decent money." Well, he dies and come to find out nothing had been written down.

There's five of us kids and I'm the only one with any real interest in guns. Come to find out there's some score-keepers amongst my siblings who suddenly gave a very big damn about what guns I intended to keep, how much are they worth, and how is that "fair". I wouldn't say sorting out the guns became nasty, but it was certainly fraught with a bunch of unneeded emotion. In the end I kept some, gave some away to BILs and nephews, and sold a bunch but it would've been alot easier if dad would've just done the work for me according to what he wanted. It's harder to argue with a dead man than it is the casually appointed guy he leaves behind.

Dealing with Dad's situation certainly changed how I plan to do things. As I get older I plan to give more away to family or friends I know will appreciate and use them. I can also see myself selling some off in order to buy something I could use or need. I realized that hanging on to this stuff to the bitter end is pretty pointless in light of the enjoyment I'd gain from seeing people I love use them or freeing up money for a more practical purpose here and now rather than having something I get out of the safe to pet on occasion.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by colodog
Consignment at a trusted gun shop worked well when a dear friend passed.

The shop got 20% and it was well worth it.
They sold online and locally and knew value was higher than we'd guessed.

That is a lot lower than the going rate.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All three daughters want the guns, knives and all the other crap I've accumulated. All three shoot and youngest has turned into a diehard hunter.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have this thing where I don't have any regard for money.

Thankfully my wife does.

I was in a similar situation, some would say it didn’t work out well for me.

Not suggesting here that that’s gonna happen to you.

If I gave a damn about money it might trouble me more’n it does. I’ve given away stuff to friends and relatives, haven’t sold much over the years.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try and list a couple here on the classifieds and see how it goes. You dont have to list them all at once. Once you get rolling it might not seem so overwhelming.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FatCity67
All three daughters want the guns, knives and all the other crap I've accumulated. All three shoot and youngest has turned into a diehard hunter.

IN more ways than that, you are a blessed and lucky man.

HNY friend.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
In the same boat here almost 55 no children of my own, no nieces or nephews that are into hunting, stepdaughter is dating a Transgender f__ktard. Ive been thinning the herd off and on for past 7-8 years, only keeping what i actually hunt with when i do and some self defense ones. Down from over 75 in my heyday to less than 20 now. Been buying a few pcp Airguns for fun shooting
Good luck and screw gunbroker. Either sell here or consign at gunshop

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad

HNY friend.

Back at you amico.

Keep wondering were I went right.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

HNY friend.

Heck yeah!

Sometimes....we just get lucky.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I got rid of a couple firearms that I no longer used (Remington SP-10 and Winchester M70 Supergrade 300 Mag) but I have lots of others that I still like to hunt with, plink with, and shoot Trap and Skeet with (some quite expensive). I also have some sentimental firearms that were owned my an uncle and my dad. I also still have my first .22. No one else in my family hunts or shoots. I do have a list of what I own, their history, their desirability and their approx value. If my wife/heirs get 50 cents on the dollar it's ok. They will be left well enough off without needing to get full value. When I'm gone my ability to care is also gone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

HNY friend.

Heck yeah!

Can I get an Amen.

Ah chit hope that wasn't an HC feeding call.

"Maybe we're all happy."

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

HNY friend.

Heck yeah!

Can I get an Amen.

Ah chit hope that wasn't an HC feeding call.

Nah. He's workin on another sermon thread.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You'll enjoy giving away some you'll know will be appreciated.

The rest is just stuff.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cooper57m
. . . I do have a list of what I own, their history, their desirability and their approx value. If my wife/heirs get 50 cents on the dollar it's ok. They will be left well enough off without needing to get full value. When I'm gone my ability to care is also gone.

I do have a list in a codicil to my will of what I have, as well (with a brief history of those of sentimental value to me). I also have serial numbers listed, if they have one. I do go back now and then and revise approx values as needed. I feel I should also expound on some of the histories, add approx acquisition dates and pictures could be of some value, too.

Much of what I have are just "run of the mill" factory stuff, but I do have several customs mixed in the bunch. If I tip over, my bride won't need to sell anything to go forward, but I don't think she will want to keep them either. I have also told my wife to consult with several friends I trust to help her out if she needs/wants to. Actual sale price and desirability are somewhat linked together in the end.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Seems like a few of you guys are in a pickle. Well let me step right up and I will help you out. Send them to me. I will take good care of them. Give them a bit of exercise and can even tell them you miss them. Not an issue for me. My boys will take good care of them as well. Being in a friendly 2nd state I would make sure they never went into the fire either. Let me know if any of you guys want me to pick them up. Or we can work out shipping details as well.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rifleman1st
Guy's I'm too tired to list all I have online and I sent some things to auction and did well and also lost my ass on high end stuff? What's the best way to get my gun stuff to people who will appreciate it? No questions about me please. Had enough of that [bleep]. Before I'm gone?

Rifleman - the wife is from Winona, maybe you're cousins, I can help with the .................. dispersal ............ as it were!!!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rifleman1st
Guy's I'm too tired to list all I have online and I sent some things to auction and did well and also lost my ass on high end stuff? What's the best way to get my gun stuff to people who will appreciate it? No questions about me please. Had enough of that [bleep]. Before I'm gone?

Good thing you didn't get that MRC .375 H&H, lol. Would have just compounded your problem!

I was telling my wife I missed that MRC by 45 minutes. She says "you already have a .375".

Wimmin!

I guess it's my own problem for letting her know what I have! But I try to keep the stable of guns lean.

My problem is loading components. How is she going to move 400+ pounds of gunpowder and and all the bullets and primers that go with it?

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pabucktail
The last couple years my dad was alive he'd ask about specific guns, one or two at a time. Some I said "Yeah, I definitely want that." Others had either no sentimental attachment for me or were valuable enough to make me feel bad about expressing any interest in taking them. Above all, asked him to write down what he wanted to go to who. He kept saying "Just keep what you want and sell the rest so your mother gets some decent money." Well, he dies and come to find out nothing had been written down.

There's five of us kids and I'm the only one with any real interest in guns. Come to find out there's some score-keepers amongst my siblings who suddenly gave a very big damn about what guns I intended to keep, how much are they worth, and how is that "fair". I wouldn't say sorting out the guns became nasty, but it was certainly fraught with a bunch of unneeded emotion. In the end I kept some, gave some away to BILs and nephews, and sold a bunch but it would've been alot easier if dad would've just done the work for me according to what he wanted. It's harder to argue with a dead man than it is the casually appointed guy he leaves behind.

Dealing with Dad's situation certainly changed how I plan to do things. As I get older I plan to give more away to family or friends I know will appreciate and use them. I can also see myself selling some off in order to buy something I could use or need. I realized that hanging on to this stuff to the bitter end is pretty pointless in light of the enjoyment I'd gain from seeing people I love use them or freeing up money for a more practical purpose here and now rather than having something I get out of the safe to pet on occasion.

Yeah, things go all to hell when there's money involved. People get all butthurt about $1000. It's their accidental way of telling everyone they ain't got nothing.

My father in law had one firearm, a Model 12. 3 members of the family said they were going to get it when Jim died. I heard that several times from each of them. Bad part for them was Jim gave it to me years before he died. After he died, everyone assumed the felon nephew stole it and sold it so the conversation never came up. I had it refurbished and brought it out at a family gathering. Now everyone knows where it is and where it stays.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Took 11 gun's to auction some I never fired. They charged 15%. Some were real nice some not. But short story brought home 11,000 after there cut. Very happy, kids have there names on there on paper no fuss that way. Best part did not deal with people.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,506
Posts18,472,309
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.