Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
Have a fold up sheep herder stove that heats a 12 x 14 wall tent with temps down into the -20's. Light weight material and it throws out heat within minutes of lighting. So far, we have about 30 seasons out of it. Super for horse packing, as it's about the size of maybe two encyclopedias. Have been in camps with much heavier units, and it takes 15 to 20 minutes for those to heat up and start emitting warmth. Actually, with a lantern, the stove, and a couple cooking burners running, we usually need to open the doors to get things down to a reasonable temp.

Can't find a xerox copy, but the following link has some close approximations. L
Fold Up Stoves Link

^^^^This^^^^
I've been using a Sims folding stove in my 12x14 with no complaints. As 1minute said, cooking and a lantern and it gets warm enough to open a door flap.

GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Have the three dog stove with water heater in Davis biggest tent works perfect.

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I looked on their website today https://fourdog.com and all they have listed are the titanium stoves. Tried calling them and never got an answer. Wonder what's up?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
1minute has the right idea. Good advice!

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
A question from a non-wall tenter...

Since you arer driving/trucking in to the campsite area (ability to carry supplies "easily"), is kerosene heater an option for a wall tent?

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SMalloy805
Originally Posted by 1minute
Have a fold up sheep herder stove that heats a 12 x 14 wall tent with temps down into the -20's. Light weight material and it throws out heat within minutes of lighting. So far, we have about 30 seasons out of it. Super for horse packing, as it's about the size of maybe two encyclopedias. Have been in camps with much heavier units, and it takes 15 to 20 minutes for those to heat up and start emitting warmth. Actually, with a lantern, the stove, and a couple cooking burners running, we usually need to open the doors to get things down to a reasonable temp.

Can't find a xerox copy, but the following link has some close approximations. L
Fold Up Stoves Link

^^^^This^^^^
I've been using a Sims folding stove in my 12x14 with no complaints. As 1minute said, cooking and a lantern and it gets warm enough to open a door flap.

I have a heavy(50+ pounds) stove and wish I had got something that weighed less and was collapsible.
This place has a few worth looking at:
https://www.walltentshop.com/collections/lightweight-camping-stoves

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
buttstock:

is kerosene heater an option for a wall tent?

Anything will work, but if one wants to seriously crank things up, it should be vented to the outside. If flame is involved, one always wants a vented unit. Same with propane.

Many years back 3 guys seriously tightened down the skirts, ridgepole holes, and doors of their wall tent, and shut their propane unit down for the night. Two were using cots, and the third rolled out on a pad on the floor. AM the first two got up feeling like crap and rushed out to do an in the dark climb to peek over rock figuring their partner was sleeping in. With propane being heavier than air, the third guy never woke up. Seems the burner was off but the unit was still leaking gas. Cookie and I will sometimes use propane to knock the chill off if bunking in small tents. Usually just a 5-minute run though and we shut off both the heater and propane tank before tucking in.

1Minute
J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by buttstock
A question from a non-wall tenter...

Since you arer driving/trucking in to the campsite area (ability to carry supplies "easily"), is kerosene heater an option for a wall tent?

They may work okay but I've been around enough of them in other peoples homes that it wouldn't be something I'd use. They always give me a headache. A wood stove never has.

Last edited by Jim1611; 12/20/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like coal, I can't imagine Elk are fond of the Kerosene smell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Like everything else you have to use your brain a bit and not camp near where the elk are.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Do elk get affected / notice wood stove smoke?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BWalker

Like everything else you have to use your brain a bit and not camp near where the elk are.

You bring the smell with you...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BWalker

You bring the smell with you...

Which matters not. You have to play the wind regardless.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wood, kerosene, coal, whatever. What elk smell and avoid is MAN. If you set up camp in the middle of your hunting area, they'll smell YOU and avoid YOU. Your stove won't bother them because they'll be gone before you get it set up.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
All our camps were set up in the middle of our hunting area, for years. We all smelled like bacon , eggs and coffee, every day. The horses we rode must have thrown the elk off their game!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Wood, kerosene, coal, whatever. What elk smell and avoid is MAN. If you set up camp in the middle of your hunting area, they'll smell YOU and avoid YOU. Your stove won't bother them because they'll be gone before you get it set up.

Exactly.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
This doesn't address the smoke / smell issue. I found this link and thought it was an interesting way to heat a tent. Who knows? It may come in handy as a back up plan. All you need is some piping. If you are driving in to your campsite, the pipes neither weigh much, nor take up much room.

FWIW. Just thought it was interesting and thought I'd share it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QeHGDr81XwM

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Good video. Clever guy.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Afternoon, some company (name)??? Make a propane stove or burner that goes outside the tent and has a blower on it that blows the heat into the tent through two 4" hoses. Like a dryer vent hose, won't use oxygen from tent or leak propane inside. Can't cook on it though. I think it's the same company that makes the instant hot shower deal. Never seen the heater but one camp had the shower deal, really great after a long day. I'm going to buy the shower deal, maybe the heater but would like to see how it worked first. I'm sure camping with the better half and having the shower along would work wonders for the relationship. Nothing like the heat from wood though!!! I wonder if you had a tarp out in front for a kitchen if you could rig up an oven sort of deal with a 12 volt fan and dryer hose to blow in the hot air from it??? Hmm. If your interested in the shower deal buy the double burner, the single one doesn't get hot enough. Bill. πŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
we have always just used a 55 gallon barrel stove, we made an expanded metal top for it to heat bath water in, Vogelzang is the kit we used. We heat an army GP medium tent, coldest so far has been 2 degrees.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 219DW, 007FJ, 16 invisible), 1,712 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,871
Posts18,478,711
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.