Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I only use one or two guns for hunting and the rest remain in the safe. i have not pulled these guns out in several years and tonight i was looking for one in particular to check the scope. when i grabbed a remington, i found it to be very gummy and sticky - so much so, that my fingerprints were left on it. this is a remington model 700 titanium with the fluted stainless barrel. this is the original stock that came with the gun; possibly purchased around 2009 (not sure). about seven years ago, i sent it to remington because the butt plate had "melted" to the carpet in the safe. you guys know much more about this than i do. is there a way to clean the stock and remove the stickiness, or do i need to find a replacement stock? also, it's hard to wash the sticky stuff off my hands, even with dawn dishwashing soap.

not that pictures will help but maybe:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Honestly I have never seen anything like it and can only assume you have some Deet derivative stored in with the rifle.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Honestly I have never seen anything like it and can only assume you have some Deet derivative stored in with the rifle.

no sir, nothing in there but guns and knives, a little ammo and a couple of pistol cases. i'm thinking it must be some type of chemical reaction with the carpet on the floor of the safe, since there was a reaction with the butt plate. i just put on a pair of gloves to move it from the table to stand it against a wall and the residue showed on the gloves.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Remove the action and the recoil pad, and immerse the stock in a wallpaper tank of Mineral Spirits for a few hours. Dry it off with a a heat gun or a hair dryer and grab a rattle can of Krylon in whatever color you prefer. You might have to do a little sanding once the sticky stuff is gone.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ve seen it, especially with the early b&c maxxguard stocks such as yours. The first generation ti suffered the sticky pads as well - but they changed the stock on the second generation Alaskan ti when they went to the bdl and added the rubbery coating. I’m not sure if it’s a function of time or too many wipes with a rag containing a cleaner or oil that doesn’t mesh well.

The easiest solution is to simply rid yourself of that nasty thing and be done with it - I’ll take it off your hands for an appropriate disposal fee. If that isn’t in the cards, a replacement stock is an easy fix. Lastly, if you enjoy a mess, discovering new expletives, and playing with reactions which will definitely cause cancer in the communist state of CA, HRL’s approach above will work.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
That would piss me off to find that. I’d get a new stock, be hard to sell like it is.

Last edited by hanco; 01/02/22.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ya, that appears to be a flaw in the mix design of the original first few batches of material. I have seen this sort of mess in injection moulding procedures, though I am certainly no expert on it! A new stock should be in the offing!

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Wouldn't hurt to contact Remington.
All they can say is "Sorry, we can't help you."

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Were those HS Precision stocks?

May reach out to them. Not for warranty, but for advice.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had the recoil pad on a Remington LVSF 17 Rem get all sticky. They sent me a new stock with a phone call. I still have it in the box and ended up ordering a sporter style from Stockys which I prefer over the LVSF stock.

I also had the soles on a pair of leather Rocky boots turn to sticky mush. They refused to replace them so they lost me as a customer for life

Last edited by dimecovers5; 01/02/22.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
I had the recoil pad on a Remington LVSF 17 Rem get all sticky. They sent me a new stock with a phone call. I still have it in the box and ended up ordering a sporter style from Stockys which I prefer over the LVSF stock.

I also had the soles on a pair of leather Rocky boots turn to sticky mush. They refused to replace them so they lost me as a customer for life

Everyone I knew that had rocky boots had the dreaded sole rot.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
6 weeks ago I sent pics of 2 sticky pads via email to limbsaver. One for an lvsf and the other for an old slip on pad. They sent 2 replacements pronto. For free.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by dimecovers5

The recoil pad on my Remington 11-87 did the same thing.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
[/quote]
Everyone I knew that had rocky boots had the dreaded sole rot.

Yep, Rocky Boots are one of the worst products ever made. One would think by now people would have stopped buying their crap products after all these years of complaints.

K
K
I had a pad smooge my carpet. I can't say that it was the carpet or whether it was just where the problem manifested itself. I suspected insect repellent but cannot recollect having used it and I am always very careful when I do for this very reason. I've noticed this problem on other items of similar material, most recently on the handle of my Oregon chain sharpener. It seems too that the problem does not limit itself and instead continues as if by some catalyzed reaction. I wish I knew what causes this so that I could do something to prevent it.

K
K
I also had a pair of Rockys deteriorate until only the midsole remained.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Were those HS Precision stocks?

May reach out to them. Not for warranty, but for advice.

B&C.

And yes, reaching out to them might not be a horrible idea.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 222ND
6 weeks ago I sent pics of 2 sticky pads via email to limbsaver. One for an lvsf and the other for an old slip on pad. They sent 2 replacements pronto. For free.

My Limbsaver pad did the same thing last year. It was ~20 years old so I just assumed that it was normal rubber rot.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've experienced that same problem before ... I know exactly what has transpired.

Something outgassed in your closed environment. In my case, in my safe, it was batteries in a battery powered automatic light/dehumidifier that I had in that safe, one that the light turned-on when the door opened and the dehumidifier ran for 30 minutes after it shut.

It had been years aince I thought to change the batteries because the light kept coming on .... unbeknownst to me the batteries had deteriorated and were outgassing and two of my polymer stocks did just what yours are doing ... along with a couple of flashlights I had in there with the same type of rubberized polymer cases.

I'll bet your carpet either outgassed the formaldehyde used to make carpet or you had so,ething battery powered in there that's gone bad.

Usually, and the Liberty Safe people told me about this ... a battery in a flashlight goes bad in a safe and that's a bad thing for everything in there. Most safe manufacturers now have electricity routed into the interior of the safe so batteries are no longer needed to run lights and dehumidifiers.

What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.
In a nation where anything goes ... eventually, everything will. We're almost there.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Foam in the gun safe gassing off

Melted several buttpads of mine before

Only tossing out a hypothesis

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,862 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,993
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.