Print Thread
Hop To
#16793691 01/02/22
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Drop your best venison recipe. Roast, loin, backstrap.. doesn't matter.
What ya got?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We like cube steak, onion gravy. Simmered 5-6 hrs in a electric skillet. Cook your onions separate and season them with soy sauce and garlic powder. Add them in and the gravy will get really good.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
i like motreal steak seasoning with bacon wrapped roast on the grill

doing a meat eater blade roast presently...a great way to use the shoulders

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chicken fried, hands down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4th_point

My choice too. I tend to walk by a get a piece of left overs, until it is all gone. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I just made this again last night. The family loves it.

Beer Braised Venison Roast

Ingredients
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
4 lb venison roast (or beef shoulder roast)
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 onions, cut in half and quartered
6 large potatoes, cut into 1” cubes
10 carrots, cut into 1” chunks
1/4 c unbleached all-purpose flour (plus an additional 1/4 c if necessary, added at the end)
2 (12 oz) bottles beer (dark lager style is best), I use Shiner Bock
2 c beef stock
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp mustard powder
1 tsp thyme

1. Season roast with salt and pepper. In a 2 gallon or larger Dutch oven or soup pot melt 1 Tbsp
butter. Add the roast and sear on all sides over medium-high heat, 1-2 minutes per side.
Remove the roast from pot.

2. Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 2 Tbsp butter. Melt butter and add onions.
Saute until golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Add potatoes and carrots, saute 1-2 minutes. Add
flour and stir until moistened.

3. Stir in beer, stock, tomato paste, brown sugar, mustard powder, and thyme. Mix well. Add the
roast back to pot, nestling it among the vegetables. Bring the mixture to a simmer.

4. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cover the pot. Simmer for 4 hours.

5. Thirty minutes before serving, remove the lid from the pot. If the stew looks too brothy, place
¼ c of flour in a small bowl. Ladle ½ – ¾ c of broth from the pot into the flour and whisk
until no lumps remain. Pour mixture into the stew and stir to incorporate. Also, add a bag of cut green beans, zucchini or peas if you want something green in your roast.

6. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens slightly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
cut the tenderloin in slices. Brush with EVOO, add a little salt and black pepper. Quickly sauté in butter, flipping over once. I like mine pretty rare.

Sam......

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I like to marinate in teriyaki and smoke with Alderwood for a couple of hours.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by milespatton

My choice too. I tend to walk by a get a piece of left overs, until it is all gone. miles
Chicken fried with country gravy is a favorite for me.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I love Chicken Fried anything, but venison is probably my favorite.
Also like to cut my steaks thin, take them from the freezer, just thawed enough to get them out of vacuum bag, straight in to a cast iron pan with "too much butter to be healthy", and slap the lid on. Only takes a few minutes to cook.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My favorite is loin. Cut loin to manageable pieces. Spray or rub with olive oil. Rub with salt and pepper. Sear each side on grill or in cast iron pan on stove top to your preferred doneness. Remove to plate. Slice 3/4 to 1 inch pieces. Chew. I like mine very rare. For a change I will use various ribs just like I would with ribeyes and ny strips.

Second favorite is a simple ground venison taco. Brown venison , season with your favorite taco seasoning , toss in a good corn tortilla with avocado and your favorite hot sauce. Chew. Serve with some good pinto beans. If I have any around I sometimes toss on fresh cilantro.

Im learning to enjoy very simple recipes with very very few but quality ingredients.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Do a Wellington with foraged wild mushroom duxelles and homemade venison liver pate. Brine and smoke an eye of round for pastrami. Grind 20% bacon in with some well-trimmed shoulder for burgers even the kids love. Slow braise shanks in the crock pot for an everyday osso bucco. Cut hind roasts into strips for stroganoff (mushrooms, onions and sour cream) over egg noodles or teriyaki (ginger, garlic and soy) stir-fry with vegetables over rice. Brown some ground venison and throw in a can each of pinto beans in chili sauce and ro-tel tomatoes for each pound of meat. Marinate loin steaks with worcestershire and seasoned salt, wrap with bacon and smoke grill until medium rare. Butterfly a loin, stuff with cheese and peppers, roll and wrap in bacon, truss and smoke on a pellet grill. Try Cumberland sauce on a cold hind roast. Visit Hank Shaw's site and get ambitious. Get Rytek Kutas' book and make some fresh or cured sausages.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench; 01/05/22.

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
We'll take a ham and cut small chunks off of it, batter it up and fry the same way we do our wild turkey nuggets. Done it with backstraps also. They are great.

While not fried, I'll put some cubed in the crockpot with a can of french onion and cream of chicken and a packet of au jus. Let it do its thing for several hours on low, at the end, turn it up to high for about 30min and mix in a 2/3 tablespoon of corn starch with water to thickin it up. Server over rice.

Last edited by killerv; 01/05/22.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mississippi Pot Roast using a neck roast. Packet of aus jus mix, packet of ranch dressing mix, i used a stick and a half of butter. Dump that on the roast then cover it in pepperoncinis. I cooked mine overnight, pulled the bone out and shredded the meat back into the juice and let it sit on warm til lunch time. Probably the best roast I have ever eaten. I tried it with shoulders too but dont get in too big of a rush, the shoulders can be tough.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just made "beef bourguignon", Julia Childs recipe, using venison top round !

Added extra bacon, due to less fat in the venison, than chuck.

Oh, my, Lord !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I just made this again last night. The family loves it.

Beer Braised Venison Roast

Ingredients
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
4 lb venison roast (or beef shoulder roast)
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 onions, cut in half and quartered
6 large potatoes, cut into 1” cubes
10 carrots, cut into 1” chunks
1/4 c unbleached all-purpose flour (plus an additional 1/4 c if necessary, added at the end)
2 (12 oz) bottles beer (dark lager style is best), I use Shiner Bock
2 c beef stock
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp mustard powder
1 tsp thyme

1. Season roast with salt and pepper. In a 2 gallon or larger Dutch oven or soup pot melt 1 Tbsp
butter. Add the roast and sear on all sides over medium-high heat, 1-2 minutes per side.
Remove the roast from pot.

2. Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 2 Tbsp butter. Melt butter and add onions.
Saute until golden brown, 3-5 minutes. Add potatoes and carrots, saute 1-2 minutes. Add
flour and stir until moistened.

3. Stir in beer, stock, tomato paste, brown sugar, mustard powder, and thyme. Mix well. Add the
roast back to pot, nestling it among the vegetables. Bring the mixture to a simmer.

4. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cover the pot. Simmer for 4 hours.

5. Thirty minutes before serving, remove the lid from the pot. If the stew looks too brothy, place
¼ c of flour in a small bowl. Ladle ½ – ¾ c of broth from the pot into the flour and whisk
until no lumps remain. Pour mixture into the stew and stir to incorporate. Also, add a bag of cut green beans, zucchini or peas if you want something green in your roast.

6. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens slightly.

You had me at shiiner bock laugh

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Same here.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,486 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,200
Posts18,485,185
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.