Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hey guys !<P>I'm kinda bumed out . I had thses great plans to get a Bushmaster E2E shorty , but my plans have been shot to hell .<P>Now insted of $700-$800 i have $500-$600 to spend on a new rifle .<P>I was thinking about a remington BDL in .17 remington "add an ood ball to the collection"<P>Dose any one know anything about this caliber ? Shot one ? like ? Dislike ? ect ?<P>I am in a hell of a pickle now .<P>Thanks: Treeratkiller

GB1

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Treeratkiller,<P>My hunting partner uses a Rem 700 Classic in the .17. If the coyotes are withing 200 yds they drop like fly's. Its hard to believe what that little pellut can do. [Linked Image] Although the velocity sure peters out at 200 yds. Go's from 4,000 fps to 2,800 fps. Never can find the entrance hole. I always joke with Brandon and ask if he missed and he just startled them too death. <P>Definately a neat little round. Factory loads are expensive so will you be reloading? Berger makes some heavier bullets for them also, in the 32 grain range. This would slow velocity but up the ft lbs of energy.<P>My old 70's speer manual; stated the .222 or .223 as a better varmiter for coyotes because it would cause more tissue damage. Either way its a fun gun, and when used within its realms is a killer.<P>Chad

NM Kid<BR>
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Treeratkiller<P>These guys are very high on the .17 cal for coyotes.<P><BR><A HREF="http://www.coyotegods.com/index.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.coyotegods.com/index.shtml</A><P>Lots of other good information too.<P><P>------------------<BR>Rick

Rick

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
mercedvh- Thanks for the coyote gods sight , but you are too late . I am already a member . I found the sight Friday when searching for info on the .17 cal .<BR>Seems like a great forum !<P>Regards: Treeratkiller<P>

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TR,<P>I just got a .17 for the first time, Rem 700 Classic. You can probably still find one for less than $500 delivered if you shop around. <P>That said, I would suggest that you get the same gun or some other 700 or a Savage B in .223. Does basically everthing the .17 does and then some, components are cheap, readily available, and wider variety. Plus you will build up a base of knowledge for when you do get that Bushmaster. If you are on a budget, these things add up in a hurry. Good shooting.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
GET THAT .17, I guarantee every thing you shoot with it will bring a smile to your face. There is NO one all around gun, so own as many as you want and forget this all purpose junk. The .17 has it's limitations sure, but what doesn't.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
If it flies it dies- I already have a Savage 10 FP in .223. Topped off with a weaver grand slam 6-20x40 w/ varminter reticle . <BR>It's a great gun ! I just want something new "I got the bug" .<P> Alass ... The car needs fixing , the zoo full of animals that I have needs feeding "the lizards need a new 3'x5'x5' cage" (that will set me back a few bills), so I am now getting a handi-rifle "the shame" , but I need a beat around rifle any way , so no big deal . Also my mom likes the handi rifle "go figure" , and I think it would be a fun gun to take to the range , and let her shoot . <P>The .17 , and the bushy WILL come some day "soon I hope" !<P><BR>Regards: Treeratkiller<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Arial" size="2">Originally posted by If It Flies It Dies:<BR><B><BR>That said, I would suggest that you get the same gun or some other 700 or a Savage B in .223. Does basically everthing the .17 does and then some, components are cheap, readily available, and wider variety. Plus you will build up a base of knowledge for when you do get that Bushmaster. If you are on a budget, these things add up in a hurry. Good shooting.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

B
Bob Offline
B
I always wanted to get into the .17 Remington so did it on the cheap by just adding a 21" TC barrel to my carbine collection. Found a used 12 power Leupold scope for $200 and it shoots less than MOA with the Hornady 25 grain Moly bullet. Neat gun to shoot.....Bob

<BR>
A
A
Every predator caller deserves the finer things in life.<P>Treat yourself and do the sweet .17.... [Linked Image]

<A HREF="http://www.predatormasters.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.predatormasters.com/</A>
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A buddy of mine has and uses a 17 Mach 4 for woodchucks. Last year he killed a woodchuck at 350 yards with it. If memory serves me correctly he uses a 23gr pill from berger (moly coated). It is a "sweet" little rifle but reloading is a PITA (pain in the *ss). Trying to hold that tiny bullet and get it in a seater is a thing to behold, lol. I watch my buddy for 30 seconds then walk away laughing as he struggles. lol. <P>I would have one built if it wasn't for the PITA reloading. I have decided to have a 223 built instead. <P>Don [Linked Image]

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Well I have droped the idea of getting a .17 cal. "this year any way" . I came up with a different rifle , but I don't think many of you varmint hunters will like it "it's in no way a tack driving , varmint killer "<P>It's a SAR-1 or maybe SAR-2 <BR>(AK-47 , and AK-74 type rifle)<BR>I want to get it now before the price gose up any higher , or is Banned all together .<P>BTW- DonKnows if your gonna get a custom gun why are ya going with a plain jane .223 ?<BR>Why not a .223 AI , .22 BR , .22 PPC , <BR>6mm BR , .243 AI , ect. , ect. , ect. ???<BR>I mean if it's a custom gun any way .....<P>Regards: treeratkiller

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BTW- DonKnows if your gonna get a custom gun why are ya going with a plain jane .223 ?<BR>Why not a .223 AI , .22 BR , .22 PPC , <BR>6mm BR , .243 AI , ect. , ect. , ect. ???<BR>I mean if it's a custom gun any way .....<P>One word, accuracy. Plus brass price for the 223 is dirt cheap as compared to lets say PPC brass. It will be "cheap" to use and will more then likely be the rifle my daughter uses most of the time for varmints. It will be tight necked. It will have a Jewel 1lb trigger. <P>I already have a 22 CHeetah MK 1 for those kills beyond what the 223 will be able to reach so I don't need another hot rod. If I ever get out west prarie dog hunting I will take the 223 versus frying my barrel in my CHeetah. <P>Don [Linked Image]<P>

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I guess I look at it differently. I would be patient and save the 8 to 9 hundred bucks and get the bushmaster. I think you will always be able to pick up a model 700. I have no idea if a bushmaster will be around when you decide to purchase one.

4pwr
D
D
I owned a Rem 700 in BDL grade chambered for the .17 Rem for many years. It was the most accurate rifle I ever owned or shot. I remember one bored evening picking off bullfrogs at 175 yards just for fun. The crazy thing about the 17 is the explosive way the bullet frags on some targets. On some soft bodied targets like rabbits or small 'yotes it penetrates completely with a six foot long red vaporization zone behind the animal. On others, like a crow in particular, the bullet just gives it all up on contact. On this particular crow I'm remembering I knocked him out of a tree at nearly 200 yards but when I went down to retrieve it I was astonished at what I saw. The impact had been higher than planned, impacting him on one side of his head. The "exit" side was completely unblemished as if untouched but the impact side was completely gone, a hollow shell like the backside of a mask. I had never seen anything like that before or since.<BR> I sold it on a whim and have lived to regret it. BTW, I used a 3x-9x Vari-X II Leopold scope and Redfield machined mounts, I never even fired the gun with the iron sights.<BR> One caution, it used to be quite easy to get ammunition for the 17 Rem. Everybody who stocked Remington ammo seemed to have three boxes in stock. When I look for it these days it seems much more rare so hand loading or volume purchases might be best.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 59 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,665
Posts18,513,015
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.