Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunzo
Something damn handy & helpful on sporter rifles when using a bench rest type rest is a fore end adapter. Take the fore end to a flat, slick 3" wide surface that rides the front bag well. They mount using the front sling swivel threads.

Sinclair used to sell a couple versions, or they can be easily made.

I've been using them for years...nothing better for testing a sporter stock from a rest. smile

The second best part is seeing the 'Ah-Ha' look in their eyes when they use one of mine and connect the dots..... -Al

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Forbidden Zoner
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Being a Tool & Diemaker I made my own rest several years ago, used it for zeroing and load development for many years. For the last several years I have been using an inexpensive Midway plastic front rest with Protector bags front and rear. I can see no difference in group size using either rest.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
So Al, what’s the purpose of paying for a 3” bag + adapter if you don’t have a rifle with 2 3/4 - 3” forend instead of buying a a front bag that fits for 90% of your firearms used off of said rest?
Dr. Mann used a wooden V block with sand bag IIRC. Ever tired that.

Swifty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have been through a lot of rests over 30 years, and have decided to use for target practice whatever the rifle will be hunted with.

That is dog-gone-good shooting bags for rodents.

That is a bipod and light rear bag for ruminants.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I bought Sinclair's version of the "accuracy asset" and sold it. Not needed if you get a front bag that fits your rifle's stock / fore end and it works much better than the gizmo.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Swifty52
So Al, what’s the purpose of paying for a 3” bag + adapter if you don’t have a rifle with 2 3/4 - 3” fore end instead of buying a a front bag that fits for 90% of your firearms used off of said rest?

The adapter fits virtually every fore end and gives amazing stability to sporter style stocks. Why have a bag that's a compromise for everything you put in it? You have to buy a bag anyway so why not get a 3" and the adapter? Trying to do meaningful testing with a stock that fits in the bag like a saddle on a sow is like pushing a rope...lots of effort and with no repeatable results. wink

They used to start cars with cranks, too. eek

This 3" bag is what gets used with the adapter. The black bag and top is for 2.25" fore ends and will go about 1/4" each way and still work decently.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice AL you learn something every day....
I need a new top for my old Hart rest

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Al,
my compliments to the range chairman. That bench looks mighty stout.
Looks well secured to the Earth.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Bull bag filled with non scented kitty litter.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I use a Buddy Bag for the front (cradles the whole front end) with a Rabbit Ear leather sandbag rear. I have a smaller home made sandbag that makes fine adjustments under the forearm. I can put this on a truck hood, tailgate, corner of a truck bed, heck, about anywhere and my zero will still be on when I just use the Sit or Shooting Sticks, etc.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Al, all the bullsh*t aside, going back to the OP question about the rest you used, my pick was the Bald Eagle as best value Per se on the market today. Funny how in a previous post you came to the same conclusion. Now it’s cow dung.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Hey Al, all the bullsh*t aside, going back to the OP question about the rest you used, my pick was the Bald Eagle as best value Per se on the market today. Funny how in a previous post you came to the same conclusion. Now it’s cow dung.

Yep...the Bald Eagle BE1128 rest is a fine choice. As a matter of fact, on page 2 of this recent thread , I recommended it:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16732421/1

Where did you get the idea I didn't think so? confused -Al

Forbidden Zoner
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
So Al, what’s the purpose of paying for a 3” bag + adapter if you don’t have a rifle with 2 3/4 - 3” fore end instead of buying a a front bag that fits for 90% of your firearms used off of said rest?

The adapter fits virtually every fore end and gives amazing stability to sporter style stocks. Why have a bag that's a compromise for everything you put in it? You have to buy a bag anyway so why not get a 3" and the adapter? Trying to do meaningful testing with a stock that fits in the bag like a saddle on a sow is like pushing a rope...lots of effort and with no repeatable results. wink

They used to start cars with cranks, too. eek

This 3" bag is what gets used with the adapter. The black bag and top is for 2.25" fore ends and will go about 1/4" each way and still work decently.

Good shootin'. -Al

+1

The forearm adapter mitigates the torque effect on the stock when firing a rifle. A round forearm on a rounded bag is like a drunk trying to stand up in a canoe... grin

IMO the aluminum rest is a compromise. They were designed by F-Open (F-Class) shooters who flew to matches (especially international travel) to save weight on their checked baggage so they could bring their ammo along with them on the flight.
The Other Al.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
The forearm adapter mitigates the torque effect on the stock when firing a rifle. A round forearm on a rounded bag is like a drunk trying to stand up in a canoe... grin

IMO the aluminum rest is a compromise. They were designed by F-Open (F-Class) shooters who flew to matches (especially international travel) to save weight on their checked baggage so they could bring their ammo along with them on the flight.
The Other Al.

Yep...when it comes to a front rest, the heavier the better. I think the aluminum Bald Eagle is a pretty good compromise for the majority of shooters. A good pal of mine uses one for his hunting rings and lays some steel shot bags across each leg...actually works pretty good.

The classic Hart cast iron like I have is still available. It comes with a top and pillow-style bag that works pretty decent on most guns and the price is pretty reasonable since the bag is included. I have one of those tops/bag setups also and use it in certain situations.

https://www.hartcustomrifles.com/product/competition-1-front-rifle-rest-with-bag/

The adapter really is nice on narrow fore arms like on my Mini Mark X:

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a Ransom rest.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I don't use a rest with metal ears or any metal on top due to heavy recoiling rifles. What goes up, must come down, and I don't want any stock damage when it does. I have some sort of rest I forget the brand that I throw a few sandbags on and lett'er buck. Hardly feel a thing. Seems to work.

LOL
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You guys need to pay attention to Al. He has been around several turnip patches and hasn't fallen off the turnip truck.He ain't one that got his knowledge on the "innerneck".
I have had several rests through the years and like the cast iron Bald Eagle best and I use my own rest top that I mfg and sell.
www.shadetreeea.com.
If you are serious you will have a heavy and stable base. You need a top and bag that securely holds your rifle and resists torque. I did chuckle at the feller that went from one rest to another and shot .1xxx groups.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
but can you guys use your fancy rests to change a flat in the parking lot afterwards?.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
but can you guys use your fancy rests to change a flat in the parking lot afterwards?.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Chuckle chuckle Does a rifle fall off of it like a car does?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Caldwell The Rock BR. Get smooth leather bags for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Adj...l+the+rock&qid=1641691363&sr=8-2

A rabbit ear rear bag:

https://www.amazon.com/Protektor-Model-Rabbit-Rear-Bottom/dp/B006MFYQ5C/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2HWDALFZVNDVW&keywords=rabbit+ear+shooting+rest&qid=1641691525&sprefix=rabbit+ear+shooting+rest%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-4
Owl ear front:

https://www.amazon.com/Protektor-Model-Owl-Front-Medium/dp/B00JD56CFA/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2A6X9LVX8SXB9&keywords=Protektor&qid=1641691612&sprefix=protektor%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-1

Last edited by Armednfree; 01/08/22.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,778
Posts18,477,043
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.